Aluminum repair epoxy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HittinSteel

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? Looking to repair/strengthen a crack in a saw handle.

Anyone had success with a product? Trying to avoid taking it to a welder.

Thanks

Drill a hole on each end of the crack. It should stop spreading then. I would still take it to the welder. I don't know how the chances are that it will hold up to constant vibration. Whatever you do make sure it is really clean before adding epoxy.

Have it welded, it's the proper way. Take it apart and clean it up good, that'll save you a few bucks.

Have it welded, it's the proper way. Take it apart and clean it up good, that'll save you a few bucks.

exactly.

also, the alum brazing products I've tried all sucked. I worked radiator repair for many years and we tried a bunch of different ones.

Devcon makes a bunch of products with different fillers. They have ones with steel, aluminum, titanium. Plain old JB weld works plenty good and is easier to find though. But if it's a saw you really like, get it welded. The best aluminum welders I ever saw were dudes that repaired boat propellers

I'm gonna clean it really well and give jb weld a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll have it welded (or replace it with a good used handle).

Thanks guys

This aint necessarily a "proper fix" but i will share what will stick to just about anything ,under most conditions except heat, FOREVER......:msp_biggrin:
BOAT LIFE caulk!!!!
I used it on a rudder shaft in an oily bilge 20 years ago .Its still holding.

A funny story. At the marina i kept my boat, a guy used boat life caulk to seal his "bow pulpit"
A couple years later ,he was tired of the wood looking so rough ,so he tried to take it off. it wouldnt budge. He then hired the marina to "remove it" . They used a fork lift on the underside . They lifted
the front of the boat via the bow pulpit a couple feet. Still no release......until the fiberglass portion
literally ripped off the front off the boat. It wasnt funny then ....but it sure is NOW!!!!:laugh::laugh:
*** the marina went out of business

This part will be null and void if you gunk it up with epoxy. I do alum/stainless welding for the marine industry (side job) and I'll spend more
time cleaning and prepping the aluminum to rid it of epoxy/devcon/JB weld than it actually takes time to weld it up. 5 min. to weld but
25 min to clean it up. JMHO

This part will be null and void if you gunk it up with epoxy. I do alum/stainless welding for the marine industry (side job) and I'll spend more
time cleaning and prepping the aluminum to rid it of epoxy/devcon/JB weld than it actually takes time to weld it up. 5 min. to weld but

I agree with the statment above
The number of times someone has had a go themselves and then decide to fix it properly and you end wasting a lot more time going over their repair attempt
Yep, I am a boilermaker / welder and been doing marine now for years
I remember this ship where the chief engineer had gunked up the cracks in anout 39 cast iron tank vents to get it past survey.
Well time to resurvey, cast iron cracks got bigger and they asked me to weld them up.
We ended up manufacturing 39 new steel tank vents
So cheaper to get it repaired once than wasting time on it and then get it done properly

This is the way to go!

Back