am i the only one thats this anal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
when I get done using my saw each day I blow it off only if I know it will be used the next day,,, normally I have never used my saws more then 2 days in a row,, when I get ready to put it up for an extended period of time I take it almost completely apart and clean it good and wipe all the smudges off,,, for instance,,, I bought my 346xp a couple of years ago and maybe run a dozen tanks though it,,, it still looks new,,, here is a couple of pics of my 372 before I put it up the other day,, I used it for 2 days,, took it completely apart and cleaned it good,,, I bought this one off fleabay about 2 year ago or so for 250 shipped,,, it at that time only a few tanks run through it,, I have run maybe 8-10 tanks through it myself since then,,,, I am very careful where is set my saws on the ground,,, I make sure there is no branches to scratch it or set it in dirt,, I always look for grass or leaves to set them on,,, am I the only one that is this anal about taking care of my equipment or am I just being stupid even though all my saws still look new,,, I am just wondering if I need to be put on a different med for this problem
IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1554.JPG IMG_1555.JPG

I like to take the bar off each time, clean the grooves, behind the covers, etc. Wipe off any chips or oil. Compressed air makes it a lot easier. I don't do a full detail, like if I was cleaning it up to sell it. Drain the fluids if I am not going to use it for a while. Gets it ready to go the next time. Cleaning also lets you inspect for cracks, loose fasteners, burrs on bars, etc. Keeping saw dust off/out reduces the risk of rust too.

Philbert

I used to, now i just clean the airfilter every day, bar/clutch when it's really dirty and a quick blow over the rest

l use compressed air on my saws after use. lt is easier to keep things clean and prevent build up of saw dust/bar oil that forms in places preventing proper cooling. l found a really clean eager beaver at my local tip, l could not believe how heavy this TH saw was. After stripping it down for cleaning and repair l must have removed a pound or more of sawdust/oil hidden away in every crevis.

Some weeks I go through 8 tanks of gas. So it seems I cut a little bit more than you. I do clean mine throughout each night after I'm done cutting and I'm really anal about cleaning it good. I use a tooth brush, qtips, and what ever else I need to to get it clean, but I am not anal about where I set it down. It's a tool, it's meant to be used, it's going to get scratches, but I want it to run good and clean for as long as it can.

Mine get the compressed air treatment after bein worked .. air filter spotless , bar rails clear and i try to keep the clutch pretty clean..they get the over the top clean if i know they are gonna sit for a while , waaaay to expensive not to take care of !

I wish my saws looked that nice but it's a lost cause trying. Full time tree service with multiple people getting the saws dirty and scratched. Quick compressor work is the most I do.

I wish my saws looked that nice but it's a lost cause trying. Full time tree service with multiple people getting the saws dirty and scratched. Quick compressor work is the most I do.

When were preppin lots we keep some compressed air on a truck , i always blow the caps off real quick after a tank of fuel to keep **** from fallin in when i fill up again..probably excessive..but.. for what i have into some of em' im damn sure not gonna neglect them , ive seen day old 1000 dollar saws ridin in the back of a truck rollin around..to each is own i guess..

Back