Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When I joined this site, I knew nothing about saws and was only concerned with getting my wood cut the fasted and easiest way. Now I find I like tinkering with the saws. My problem is when I go to cut, I always seem to grab a saw that has some runnability issue as I enjoy trying to make it run right. I've got saws that run perfect, but they don't see much use.

Is there anybody else out there that likes the challenge of a poorly running saw over one that runs well?

I don't know about poor running, but the ones that are loud, vibrate because of no AV, leak bar oil all over the place and have leaking fuel caps seem to get me going more than the newer, faster, and smoother running saws. After running one of my howling Mac 10's, the Husky 51 and the 025 seem like electric saws.

I have to admit that I like the challenge but always grab the new saw when I don't have the time to screw with one that needs a little tinkering. Today I took the one that needed fine tuning because it is hot and humid here and I needed any excuse to not have to work quite as hard.

No it's not just you. My saws lately have seem to be the older mag saws. Kinda like these two....

attachment.php

Older, heavy, loud as snot but make a ton of torque.

When I joined this site, I knew nothing about saws and was only concerned with getting my wood cut the fasted and easiest way. Now I find I like tinkering with the saws. My problem is when I go to cut, I always seem to grab a saw that has some runnability issue as I enjoy trying to make it run right. I've got saws that run perfect, but they don't see much use.

Is there anybody else out there that likes the challenge of a poorly running saw over one that runs well?

I very seldom purchase saws that are in good condition as there is not much fun in that anymore. Sometimes if it is a model that I need for the collection, have not used or do not see often I might purchase it in good shape but I prefer to purchase projects, severe projects are the best.

Not much Shin action around here but everyonce in a while some will pop up.

Last edited:
I am the same way, I have a new 441 and while it sees plenty of use I find myself grabbing one of my older saws to bring along and end up using them quite a bit. While the 441 does the job more efficient I still enjoy running the older saws.

camptrip2004.jpg

i have bought and sold a bunch of saws in thr past months,,i jus love makingv them run good,, the best ones are the doa saws and they purr when you get done with them

I usually bring one that needs fine tuning and another couple that need breaking in time or just a reliable saw. I do have to tune them where I cut wood because of the elevation changes 1-2000 ft depending where I cut.

I am much like bsnelling I get them right on the bench and then go to work. Although there is alot of them that need brake in time that i take and find issues that i could make better.. I guess just part of braking in. But most of the time specialy this time of you it is way over 100 and i dont want to be out in it any longer than i have to be so the smooth saws go alot during the summer.

I'm the same way, I cut three or so cords per year (mostly oak), really nothing more than about 14in in diameter. I generally use a ratty-looking, ported 026 and I throw a 372 or 044 behind the seat just in case. I have a couple dozen saws to choose from, but two or three is all I really need in a saw setup.

I spend lots more time working on them than cutting with then. When I finish a saw up, the fun is largely over. The only runner I've ever bought was my first one, the others have all been junked out pretty badly. I have almost no use for anything in the 60 to 80cc size range even though I have quite a few of these. Big, pro saws are cool! I do mill, however, so I have a few monster saws that I put to periodic use. Still looking for that junked out 090 dream project!

EDIT: Just to show how possessed I am about fixing them..... I need it like I need another hole in my head, but I just picked up a 2071 on fleabay this morning. Dang thing went for 56 bones, I couldn't resist. I've got another 026 on the bench along with a 372, and a 394. I probably won't get to the Jonsy for a year!

Last edited:
I tend to like somewhat older stuff, but new or old I want it to work when I have to use it. There's a time for fixing and fiddling and tuning, and there's a time for working - and they.re not the same! When it's time for working I want the saw to be flawless. Basically, that's why I've been spending time learning here - way too many years of equipment that wouldn't work properly when I needed it to.

I spent yesterday and today clearing a treeline of half-dead ash trees before I fix the fence below them again. I didn't use the Mac, but the other 3 ran fantastic. Pull the cord a couple of times and off they go. Tuned right, chains cutting well. It was a very welcome change from my past experiences. I did not miss having to carry them back to the barn in the middle of the job.

Last edited:
I very rarely bring home a saw...or anything else for that matter...that runs properly. Yes, I do have quite the pile of those red Jap saws in storage. It's getting down to slim pickin's on my running saws, glad winter is coming...

Only need one runner, the rest are for stress relief or to piss off the neighbors that hate noise:laugh: Got one or two that are my recoupe time projects, got to have something to do when the doctor says no work:laugh: Got a few that run but are tempermental enough they no longer cut wood.

No Sir, I wanted my saws running perfect and with sharp chain. Cant make any money fiddling with a poorly running tool.

I have quite a few older saws that I like to take out and use from time to time. Sometimes when you take one out for the first (or second, or third, or...) they are not just right. That is part of getting the old ones working properly, you can't alway tell what is going to happen with a little bench work alone.

More and more I use the older, louder, heavy, vibrating saws just because I can. I will acknowledge however that I don't make a living running saws, it all just for collecting firewood or helping out friends and neighbors.

If it is a job that has to be done in a hurry, or where a saw problem at the wrong time could be trouble I will select one of the more modern saws. I remember running the 036 out of fuel then picking up the 7-10 to finish a project; the 7-10 was loud, vibrates, the muffler will burn holes in your chaps, and I love to run it.

Mark

I definitely don't want to tinker with a saw in the bush when I go to cut wood.....That's one reason I always take at least two saws.....The most I'll do to a saw when I'm out cutting is adjust the chain!

Having said that, my taste in saws that I purchase, is always of the DOA variety or at least an extreme problem child.......I love bringing them back to life!

Pretty much anytime I go to the woods I'll bring a gaggle of Mag with me and have at it. Just like Mark said, that's how you work out the problems with the saws that you have. I do have a couple that are guaranteed good, but most are an ongoing work.

Chris

Latest posts

Back