Am I weird???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if anybody wants to sharpen new chain it's his business. But, I would still like to see somebody pick one out in normal use without being able to look at it. Like the 1/10 of a second that matters in competition or the few cuts you will get before it's right back to where you started amounts to squat.

Sharpening a chain is boring and tedious. Damn if I'm going to do it just for the hell of it.

Well, if anybody wants to sharpen new chain it's his business. But, I would still like to see somebody pick one out in normal use without being able to look at it. Like the 1/10 of a second that matters in competition or the few cuts you will get before it's right back to where you started amounts to squat.

Sharpening a chain is boring and tedious. Damn if I'm going to do it just for the hell of it.

To each his own I guess....:dunno:

I don't mind sharpening chains. I didn't mind it when round filing. The square filing was a little time consuming, but with the swing arm it takes less than 10 minutes to touch up a 28" full comp chain.

If you are that curious, why not try it yourself? Sharpen a new one and see if you can tell the difference. You could have one sharpened in the time you have spent trying to convince people who have done it and have seen a difference that it doesn't make any difference.

If you are that curious, why not try it yourself? Sharpen a new one and see if you can tell the difference. You could have one sharpened in the time you have spent trying to convince people who have done it and have seen a difference that it doesn't make any difference.

THink you could sum that post up in a graph? :laugh:

:cheers:

Maybe I need to go spin a loop up and then go make some videos. I just touched up all the chains I made for the 28" and 30".

I don't think you can be really good at anything unless you're passionate about it.There are some really good round filers out there,
(gypo comes to mind)I'm not one of them.Square filing is tedious,especially at first,but its not boring, to me anyway.

I guess I thought round filing was too easy. So I took up square filing. Got pretty decent at it and bought a swing arm so I don't have to any more. I could get round to outcut the square when I first started filing it. Now all I run is square full comp on everything since the grinder.

I'm not curious at all. I have yet to get any new chain that didn't cut just fine.

THink you could sum that post up in a graph? :laugh:

:cheers:

attachment.php

Am I the only one that touches up new chain before I use it?

Lately, I've noticed that chain from the factory has gotten sloppy. Most especially Oregon brand, but I've noticed it with Stihl as well. Mostly the rakers are off +/- .010, and the gullets look horrible. Wonder why the drop in quality?

Or am I
?

Define the word weird personally i do not think you are weird

BTW, I'm not #####ing. Feel free to waste your time any way you want.

No worries...im just pokin fun. :p

I dont feel it's a waste of time, when the chain comes from the factory and it looks like a 3 year old with a rock sharpened it.

Would it cut? Yes
Would it cut as good as a filed chain? No

ZJunk,
It's OK if youre not really into chain sharpening. It is a very important part of fast and efficient cutting, but some folks are more obsessive about it than others. I do really enjoy a sharp chain..... More than the process of sharpening, although there is satisfaction from getting it sharp too. To each their own!

I can see why Edisto needs a super sharp chain. It's to get those little sapplings cut down in his yard before his wife can scold him.

They just go down like saplings...because my chain is sharp!

Back