Amazing Pawnshop Finds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my Stihl 066 from a local pawn shop for $300.00, but like I said in another post it had been sitting up for at least 2 years. Still needs more work. Around here you are better off just ordering one. After Katrina and Rita there were no professional saws to be found locally.

Pawn Shop Saws

Just saw a great deal on an 034 today. Get this, electronic AND quickstop! Only $379.99. Only problem is it appears to have had no maintenance. About 1/4 inch play in the clutch drum. I told the nice lady that that unlocked the chain, moved a bicycle out of the way and handed it to me that the price was WAY out of line. She said the owner sets the prices...sorry. So I apologized for wasting her time and quickly departed. Funny thing is I bought a really nice 028 AVEQ at this same shop about five years ago for $50 (asking $100)...all it needed was a filter cover.

Well, in case yall missed it, I bought my 7900 at the local pawn shop. I paid $200. Then bought a bar, chain, sprocket, air cleaner, and carb kit. I quite enjoyed resurrecting a dirty old loggers saw.

Runs perfect. Love the power. Leaks like heck, but I'll fix that--I think.

Now the pawn shop guy started going on about how he only made $10 on the deal- hardy har har. whatever.

Pawn shop is a lot like an auction, you must KNOW the goods. The condition, the street price for new and used, etc. I've done good and bad at both. When you mess up and pay a tad too much, just remember that you are REcycling--and that's good for something.:givebeer:

And if the prices marked aren't negotiable--run don't walk away.

like someone has already stated, pawnshop prey on two types of folks.

1. people that are out of options and have no choice
2. people that don't know their prices, thinking that if it's at a pawnshop. it's got to be a deal!

since most used items are priced at or higher than retail. Often used to quiz folks that work at pawn shops... how can you get away with pricing that higher than new?

their answer is always the same, folks come to pawn shop thinking they will find a deal and they do :D

they pretty much don't care if you buy or not. someone will come along what will.

how you can come out on pawnshop is to simply know your prices. recently purchase a Husky 365 in pretty decent condition. it ended up being 3 years old. purchased it for $125.

knowing when to pass is more important when dealing with a pawnshop. which is 99% of the time.

I went into a local shop here last summer and found a 55' piece of safetyblue Hi-vis, EXTREMELY used, priced at $110. I took it up to the counter to make sure I was reading all 3 price tags correctly and sure enough I was.

I considered bringing in some new rope to pawn to them. :D

a brother in law who deals in used cars,says the formula is this.
buy a car at auction ,get what u paid for it as, dn payment. then most times be ready to reposses it several months and payments later. then if possible fix it well enough to resale,and do the same thing again,as long as he can, until the car is suitable,only to sell to the salvage yrd... i think hes dealing with the same type as described by some posters, as usual pawn shop customers.
now a lotto pawn shops and low end car dealers are doing pretty well.
must be a whole lotta folks lacking ability to manage money.the rich get richer ,the poor get poorer.but whos fault is that.jmo
of course im smarter than that.
by the way can anybody here, loan me 20 until payday.just kidding darin.

:)

In my area of Houston the pawn shop prices on any kind of tool are too high, but you see a lot of Spanish-speaking-only people buying from pawn shops. The pawn shops know how to take advantage of the working folks who don't read English. I've sort of gotten to know a some of Mexican-Americans who own & run a small chain of resale shops in my area, and they sell a lot of overpriced merchandise to the south-of-the-border Mexicans.

all of our saws were bought from pawn shops. But there is no telling how many saws I have passed on because they were too high priced.

Hey, I found a place that breaks the trend...sort of. Clean, orderly, and reasonable. Now, not that they had anything worthwhile, and in the neighborhood they are in, may never, but...A selection of Poulans and Poulan "Pros" for between $50 and $100. An old Craftsman (pre-Poulan) for $50, and some "new" McCulloughs for $50 and $75. Sure, it's crap, but that's 1/2 the price I was expecting to see, and they were fairly clean too.

Mark

Down here in Miami there are pawn shops on every other corner. After several years of me and my buddy crashing them all, we know where to get the great deals.

He bought a Stihl 026 a while back for that was like new for $80

I've bought several of the smaller echo saws, CS300, CS3000, CS340 and never paid more then $50 a piece. They bring $150-250 on ebay depending on the condition.

I recently bought an Echo QV8000 from a local fire dept auction. Saw was like brand new but didn't have a bar and chain. I paid $85 for it. Put a 36" bar and chain on it and have it around for the next big hurricane. That saw retails for about $2000!

A few weeks ago I even bought a Stihl 046 for $100, cleaned it up and put it on ebay and it sold for $385 :clap:

God bless the pawn shops!!

Last edited:
How about an O84 with a brand new bar an chain. Saw itself looks like it spent most of its life being drug behind a pickup on dirt roads. I've never seen a Stihl that was dark charcoal gray and brownish before. A few cracks and broken bits...$800. But the guy said it was a "monster". All I could do was laugh.

Mark

Next place I stopped was a dealer who had an 041 that looked like it had been used twice. Didn't ask, but had never seen one that wasn't trashed. Kind of made my day.

Within the last 6 month's I bought 2 saws from Pawn shops. I got a Husky 61 for $100 in very good condition. The next week everything was priced $200 or more. About a month ago I visited a different shop and found 2 Husky's both the 55 Rancher. The beat up one they wanted $199. The other was like new condition with owners manuel, a 2002 year model I got for $130. The only thing I could see wrong with it they had the bar clamped down so tight the chain was bound up, also too much oil mix making it very hard to pull the rope. But like you say the bargains are far and few between.

brought a 026 from the pawn shop $150 used it daily for 5 years then got $240 for it last month it had slowed down.

Dan, that thought always goes through my mind. I have friends who use power tools to make a living, and they won't buy from a pawnshop. Not that they'd get a good deal from the pawnshops around my 'hood.

Back