American Beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R W Ohio

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just cut up 1 big American Beech that came down in last weeks wind storm.Never burned any before,does it burn well and how long to season?

Something along the line of hard maple maybe slightly less BTU, Burns well good heat, does take some time to dry much like maple does.

Now its time to move up to American Elm. I know of one thats over 70 feet high and at least 5 feet DBH.

Just cut up 1 big American Beech that came down in last weeks wind storm.Never burned any before,does it burn well and how long to season?

Pretty good stuff. very heavy and in my opinion takes longer to dry than Oak or Maple.

With 10 cord on the ground going up to the splitter next week and beyond, I have burned beech exclusively for about 5 years on the farm. we have the beech bark disease here, so they gotta go, and what better way than in my stove right???

Beech seasons well, needs to be off the ground, leaves almost no ash, and smells great burning. when it'sdry, it is a lighter than the others, and burns nice and hot.

I have Red Oak and White oak as well, but we will still burn a lot of beech. Now that Dad has a wood furnace, I have to share the wood wealth, so I will get what is left over.

Lights easy too, just let it season for a year like the others.

Jason

Just cut up one big American Beech that came down in last weeks wind storm in Ohio. I've never burned any before. Does it burn well and how long does it require to season?
Consider yourself rich. It's a great, rather rare wood. Give it 9 months to dry and enjoy a heritage of our nation. Beech trees yield spectacular furniture wood and believe me, it would be terrific firewood if you cannot save it to make furniture. :cheers:

Consider yourself rich. It's a great, rather rare wood. Give it 9 months to dry and enjoy a heritage of our nation. Beech trees yield spectacular furniture wood and believe me, it would be terrific firewood if you cannot save it to make furniture. :cheers:

Maybe its rare out your way, but we have it in spades in NH. Especially in hilly country where it thrives on ridge and mountain slopes. It's quite a sight to come upon a stand of beech while waliking in the woods (but you have to be real careful of the branches if there's someone walking behind you - especially in the spring when they're wearing those dartlike buds!)

I love burning beech and agree with the above in terms of seasoning time. Personally, I wouldn't burn a beech that was living 2 weeks ago this winter unless I really, really had to.

Beech is a kind of perplexing wood to split, at least with a maul. I've handled some rounds that've split as easy as ash or crotch-free unseasoned red oak after the moisture's frozen in deep winter. This year's supply has been quite another story. Even the little 6" pieces have been putting up a fight.

Thanks, Wood Doctor for the furniture insight. I've always heard that it was a less desirable species because of the configuration of the grain. But you seem to be a champion of the "forgotten hardwoods." I recall your posting some pics of pieces you made of ash that were quite beautiful. I'd love to see some of your beech handiwork.

Back