american classic cars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian-

The old restored American Iron is great. I would suggest going online to Hemmings.com. You'll find thousands of vintage American cars for sale, both from dealers as well as private sellers. If you can't find what you're looking for there it probably doesn't exist!

Good luck in your search.

Thanks - - - Al

Last edited:
Sort of. They had alot of Corvette parts but it's a full tube frame. The transmission is bolted directly to the aluminum Grandsport rearend, There is no driveline. It had a 327 stoked to 377 with a Studebaker crank. A Bill Thomas dual entry Rochester fuel injection (not the one in the pic) and a Muncie M21.The first two were aluminum bodies and the remaining 12 or so were fiberglass. It differs from the Corvette in size, power, weight and purpose. It's about the size of a 1st gen RX7. 520 hp, 1500-1700 lbs in race trim and it's all go. (That's like me riding an 80 hp skateboard!) 220 mph uphill at Road America. Mid 10's at 130+ mph at the dragstrip with roadrace gears. In it's day, there was nothing on a road course that could out accelerate it. It never came to be for three reasons. Suspicious fire burned the production shop to the ground before 100 were built. Chevrolet pulled out of racing in 1963 or so. The McLarens came out. It was purpose built to go Cobra hunting, but never did due to several of the reasons above. It is believed 8 originals still exist.

Someday I may build one. There was a kit body on ebay last year for $2K. I had to bite my lip.
It did not go hunting because it could
never touch the shelby.

It did not go hunting because it could
never touch the shelby.

Hahaha. A diehard Ford fan?

I gave you the specs on a Cheetah.

Here's the competition specs on a 1966 427 Cobra that didn't come out until after the Cheetah. Let's not even bring up a 289 Cobra.

weight 2282 lbs
409.9 bhp @ 5600 rpm
top speed 165.0 mph
0 - 1/4 mile 12.4 seconds

http://auto-specs.zercustoms.com/s/shelby/1966-shelby-cobra-427-s-c-specifications.html

It's not even a fair comparison, is it?

The Cheetah is about 2 seconds quicker in the 1/4, more than 500 pounds lighter, 110 more horsepower and 55 mph faster on the big end. Of course 220 mph was the fastest a Cheetah was clocked, so who knows?

The only thing the Cobra had on a Cheetah was disk brakes, but then we would expect that from a vehicle several years newer. But hey, at 1500-1700 pounds, the drum brakes on the Cheetah were from a Chevy twice it's weight which was more than adequate.

Last edited:
http://www.autoblog.com/tag/Shelby/

If Cobras don't do it for you on track days, you can now make the same choice that was available in the '60s. While Caroll Shelby was stuffing FE Fords into mild-mannered AC Aces, Bill Thomas Race Cars was developing a competitor called the Cheetah that could run with the fire breathing Cobras, as well as keep pace with Ferrari's 250. The original cars used a 377 cubic inch V8 to speed their way to 11 SCCA victories in 1964. While Bill Thomas had friends at the General, Chevrolet backed out well before the 100 necessary for homologation were built, putting the first nail in the car's coffin. A shop fire finally killed the Cheetah effort. Before disaster struck, Thomas was able to produce only about 16-23 Cheetahs.

One of those original cars was used to help Arizona's BTM whip up a continuation series, along with the original drawings. Thomas has granted BTM the rights to build a new Cheetah, which differs from the original in details, but retains the spirit. There are some vintage Chevy pieces in the new Cheetahs, but the engine is now a ZZ4 350 with aluminum heads. Not underwhelming by any stretch, and it's only got 1,780 pounds to yank around anyway, so acceleration will be brisk. Before you dream of untwisting your favorite road with this thing, take note that it's not street legal. No matter, it's still cool to see something other than a Cobra. While the Cobra is capable, we've seen so much of them in pictures and replicas that we're desensitized. The Cheetah, on the other hand, would stick out more than a Cobra Daytona, and could offer your trackmates serious hell at a vintage racing event.

attachment.php

Ok so you have some specs what gears were those specs
made with and was it the beefed 427 race ready?
I have never heard or the cheater but do know
the shelby's dominated for seven years and they
were street legal and with the go baby if needed
nos were them specs with the go baby installed?
I would still rather have the shelby and specs mean
a bit but depends on the driver I would put you in the
wall:laugh:

Ok so you have some specs what gears were those specs
made with and was it the beefed 427 race ready?
I have never heard or the cheater but do know
the shelby's dominated for seven years and they
were street legal and with the go baby if needed
nos were them specs with the go baby installed?
I would still rather have the shelby and specs mean
a bit but depends on the driver I would put you in the
wall:laugh:

The specs are for a competition ready 1966 427 s/c Cobra.

You can read about them again here. Keep in mind this is a 1967 too. 4 years after the Cheetah.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/1741.html

In 1967 Shelby had finished 31 427 competition cars. These were strictly race spec cars that were tuned to have somewhere between 400 and 500 horsepower.

A 1967-69 TA Chevy smallblock 302 does better than that! LOL

The original Cheetah was street legal also. Alan Green Chevrolet right here in ol' Seattle bought one for his wife to drive on the street. There are several kits available now that are streetable. Unfortunately, one of them uses a Ford 9 inch. Not a good axle for making power. The Cheetahs had axle ratios of 3.08 to 4.56.

The only reason the Cobra won any races for 7 years is the Cheetah competed in a different class not having met the 100 unit minimum in a year for production class. Now in vintage racing I believe they race in the same class but vintage racing isn't really racing.

You've never heard of a Cheetah and you could put me in the wall? :laugh: I can't help but laugh.

NOS isn't allowed in SCCA.

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0707kc_cheetah_sports_car/index.html

I fully understand why you would want a Cobra instead of a Cheetah. The power might be too much! :laugh:

And if you were looking for more power, a box stock 1967 Corvette L-88 makes 550 horsepower with open headers. More than the competition 427 s/c, LOLOL. Now modify that L-88 to competition specs! :laugh:

Last edited:
The specs are for a competition ready 1966 427 s/c Cobra.

You can read about them again here. Keep in mind this is a 1967 too. 4 years after the Cheetah.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/1741.html

A 1967-69 TA Chevy smallblock 302 does better than that! LOL

The original Cheetah was street legal also. Alan Green Chevrolet right here in ol' Seattle bought one for his wife to drive on the street. There are several kits available now that are streetable. Unfortunately, one of them uses a Ford 9 inch. Not a good axle for making power. The Cheetahs had axle ratios of 3.08 to 4.56.

The only reason the Cobra won any races for 7 years is the Cheetah competed in a different class not having met the 100 unit minimum in a year for production class. Now in vintage racing I believe they race in the same class but vintage racing isn't really racing.

You've never heard of a Cheetah and you could put me in the wall? :laugh: I can't help but laugh.

NOS isn't allowed in SCCA.

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0707kc_cheetah_sports_car/index.html

I fully understand why you would want a Cobra instead of a Cheetah. The power might be too much! :laugh:

And if you were looking for more power, a box stock 1967 Corvette L-88 makes 550 horsepower with open headers. More than the competition 427 s/c, LOLOL. Now modify that L-88 to competition specs! :laugh:
I would want the cobra to make it to the line as
every chevy I have had but 0ne stunk!
I like the Elenore with nos myself and you
forgot to mention torque in your specs and
it said it was the fastest car in 1967 good enough
for the chick I married! The wall is coming chow
look out lol just kidding around with that the absolute
fastest car I was personally in was a 72 challenger 6pac
slapstick 4 speed, I know there is always faster but I
don't care to be in them anymore.

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/Shelby/

If Cobras don't do it for you on track days, you can now make the same choice that was available in the '60s. While Caroll Shelby was stuffing FE Fords into mild-mannered AC Aces, Bill Thomas Race Cars was developing a competitor called the Cheetah that could run with the fire breathing Cobras, as well as keep pace with Ferrari's 250. The original cars used a 377 cubic inch V8 to speed their way to 11 SCCA victories in 1964. While Bill Thomas had friends at the General, Chevrolet backed out well before the 100 necessary for homologation were built, putting the first nail in the car's coffin. A shop fire finally killed the Cheetah effort. Before disaster struck, Thomas was able to produce only about 16-23 Cheetahs.

One of those original cars was used to help Arizona's BTM whip up a continuation series, along with the original drawings. Thomas has granted BTM the rights to build a new Cheetah, which differs from the original in details, but retains the spirit. There are some vintage Chevy pieces in the new Cheetahs, but the engine is now a ZZ4 350 with aluminum heads. Not underwhelming by any stretch, and it's only got 1,780 pounds to yank around anyway, so acceleration will be brisk. Before you dream of untwisting your favorite road with this thing, take note that it's not street legal. No matter, it's still cool to see something other than a Cobra. While the Cobra is capable, we've seen so much of them in pictures and replicas that we're desensitized. The Cheetah, on the other hand, would stick out more than a Cobra Daytona, and could offer your trackmates serious hell at a vintage racing event.

attachment.php

How much do the Cheetahs go for? They are not street legal, so that's a no go for me. I wouldn't mind taking a car to the track, but it would be primarily for driving on city streets, twisty country roads, etc.

How much do the Cheetahs go for? They are not street legal, so that's a no go for me. I wouldn't mind taking a car to the track, but it would be primarily for driving on city streets, twisty country roads, etc.

Some of the kits are street legal. I know BTW? is remaking them. They don't call them a reproduction but a continuation because Bill Thomas gave licensing rights.

This is a track only car. There's your torque number Ropen. 533 at 3300 rpm. I imagine the oringinal's were a little wilder as they had something to prove. Vintage is pretty laid back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...oryZ6472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Cant offer any help on where to buy them as I am in Australia.

Anyway, here is my ride....I love em!

1964 SS Impala Coupe​

attachment.php

Wow right hand drive at that. Was it made in Canada? A lot of right hand drive GM's and other marques were produced here as there were tax advantages as far as exports to Commonwealth countries. I once saw a 1969 Pontiac Parisienne in Cyprus with right hand drive, that certainly was produced in Oshawa on the Chevy line.

I want one of these;this one sold for $65,000.

http://www.classicauto-sales.com/detail.php?car=152

There was a similar 1960 Chrysler Windsor(the low line model) four door hardtop wagon on eBay this past week that went for about US$10000. This is a very good time to buy as the Canadian dollar gives your more than US $1.07 right now, and it is supposed to be $1.10 shortly.

Last edited:
I can't post pics yet but I have a 1960 ford f350 flatbed.The cool thing about it is thatit was special order in 1960 and from what i've been told was that they only made 10,000 of them.It is about 80% original including the original instrument cluster,original low mileage 223 engine with glass bowl carb,4 in intake.It should make a decent work truck or restoration project I haven't decided yet.All I got to do to make it driveable is hone out and rebuild the clutch master cylinder.I'll post pics when I get a new digital camera.

A typical car I would be most interested is a Chevy Bel air or Impala sedan.
if anyone knows some good dealers, Please fire away. :givebeer:

My grampa drove a BelAir, and the Impala was a family car. Neither was considered a 'cool' car at the time. They were both considered 'old folks' cars at the time.

Now, if you're looking for a real 'classic' vehicle as I remember them on the road at the time, think 'muscle cars', like a Barracuda, Charger, Camaro, Nova, Duster (yeah, there were some factory stock souped up Dusters) etc., or even a TransAm. Now you're talking classic Detroit Americana with those cars.

I know a fellow hows selling a real nice 4 door bel air for 4500.It has not rust and it appears to have been restored.

My grampa drove a BelAir, and the Impala was a family car. Neither was considered a 'cool' car at the time. They were both considered 'old folks' cars at the time.
QUOTE]

In the 1970s perhaps yes, but the 1960s Impalas were quite a hot set of wheels especially if equiped with the 409 or 427 motor in SS guise. And the Belair two doors being a lot lighter than a similar Impala were even more so, sort of a budget set of wheels. Both are worth mondo coin today.

There was a 1965 Impala sedan for sale on eBay this past weekend, that was going for about $10K. Hardtops and convertibles are worth a lot more. We almost got a 1965 Belair but when my Dad took Mum to look at it on the showroom floor she decided right then and there she wanted a Chevelle Malibu instead; the dealer Don Wheaton Chev Olds is still on 82nd Ave in Edmonton 42 years later.

I have 3 that need to be redone once again. I had just started on the 66 Impala convt when the barn fell. Now it is on the back burner or will get sold this spring on ebay.
Here is a pic this summer while new barn was being put up.
Copyofcarsandbarn003.jpg

Finally something I know about on this site!

Arizona Classics is a good broker. Also Texas Musclecars, and Aloha Dreamcars. I've dealt with these three and a couple others I'd have to look up. I own a musclecar restoration shop, that's what I do and a lot of my customers are having me restore these cars and they go straight to the brokers after I'm done. There's alot of money in it if you pick the right car. Some are turning 40-100 thousand dollars profit after paying me. lcaarmusclecars.comis my website if you want to check it out.

Now, if you're looking for a real 'classic' vehicle as I remember them on the road at the time, think 'muscle cars', like a Barracuda, Charger, Camaro, Nova, Duster (yeah, there were some factory stock souped up Dusters) etc., or even a TransAm. Now you're talking classic Detroit Americana with those cars.

I'd add Mustang, GTO, and Chevelle to the list before Duster, but this could turn into a discussion like the Ford vs. Chevy or Husky vs. Stihl.:D

Latest posts

Back