American Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a new American 25-HH with log lift, table grate, 4 way wedge and 8hp honda. For the price this is an excellent heavy duty commercial grade splitter. With all the options it was just under 5K. The comparable timberwolf tw-2hd I priced out with the same options was over 7k. Its not as heavy as a timberwolf, but I like that I can wheel it around by myself. The log lift will pick up a decent size log, but not a monster, I can quarter big ones any ways. It has enough power to split through almost anything, it'll have some trouble with real nasty crotches but those are far and few and for me not worth messing with anyways. They go to the burn pile. The 4 way works well on big wood, not for every big piece, but it slides on and off easily which is nice to split big logs with the single wedge and then put it back on.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this splitter for commercial use. It's built very strong, big, beefy welds and it has a thick, durable, lasting paint as well. I do around 30 cords a year and I'm confident I'll be able to bang that out very quickly this fall/winter. If I'm set up for the day, I could do at least 3 cords a day by myself with this machine, which to me for small operation is pretty good.

I used an American splitter loaned from a friend several years ago before I got my super split. The American was a nice machine. It had I believe a 6 second cycle time and a 4 way wedge. The only gripe I had was the way the 4 way was set up, I ended up with a lot of small splits on one side of the wedge. We had three guys keeping busy and really moved some cords.

Back