American log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How good are the American brand log splitters? Have any of you guys tried one, or own one?...they look good on there site, an alternative to the more expensive Timberwolf?..thanks!

American

:cheers: I bought the 25hh with the log lifter and 4 way in 2005. They have a display at the Boonville Woodsmen Field Days every August. They're great people and the splitters are among the best. IMHO. :chainsaw:

this American splitter AM-26HW with adjustable four way wedge sure looks sweet!~ TW5 w/log lift still looks like the one to get.

does anyone know the price difference between the two?

logsplitter8s.bmp

Last edited:
We have had an American, three point hitch, vertical splitter for about 20 years. It has split firewood for at least three households, faithfully. It is extremely well built and they are still made in the same location, Black River, NY.

neat concept.

What is there history and how many units out? If the cylinder rod is threaded tightly into the top bracket I would be concerned, as any slop in the vertical tube the wing slide in would aloow side forces on cylinder rod. Bad for seal and rod bushing. Will be side loads evenif bottom is pin mounted. But if top has some float or slack, looks like a really efficient machine.

kcj

I am thinking of purchasing the 25HH, 8hp, 26" log capacity, 16 gpm pump...and four-way wedge..I want something fairly fast, am I better off going with 11hp engine and 22gmp pump?..is there a big difference is speed, because there is a big difference in price...

16gpm

dp, I opted for the 16gpm pump, it works fast enough for me. If your gonna be hittin 18"-24" rounds i'd really consider the log lift. It saved my back when the logger dropped off some big stuff or you can load it up with smaller rounds also , saves alot on the old back.

Anericanmsr.com

:cheers:

Last edited:
After about 2years and 400 plus face cord of hard maple,beech ,yellow birch etc,the only issues i have w/my 25hh is the 4way wedge will start to bend.If you watch while splitting twisty wood you can see the whole wedge flexing as the ram pushes wood thru the wedge.American does not recomend useing the 4way with twisty wood. I suppose something has to give and the 4way is weakest link. To rectify this ocasionly i grind the 4way flat. Eventually it will have to be replaced but that is to be expected. I highly recomend this splitter .I have a 25hh with log lift ,4way ,36" ram , briggs engine.Picked it up the day they finised building it and put it right to work.Top notch local people that manufacture them.

big stuff

What I did for the big rounds was take the 4way off for a while to get the blocks to a managable size, then put the 4way back on.

I guess the point is "A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry '71
LOL

Latest posts

Back