AmeriCorps... humboldt or conventional?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a phone call that I may be helping out an AmeriCorp crew falling large hazard trees on TNC ground north of me. They'll be doing some trail maintenance and taking out hazard trees from last year's Tejano Canyon and Rock House Fire.

Has anyone worked with these guys before? Do they humboldt cut or conventional?

I figured an organization like that would follow S-212 powersaw class as part of their training.

Last edited:
Just got an phone call that I may be helping out an AmeriCorp crew falling large hazard trees on TNC ground north of me. They'll be doing some trail maintenance and taking out hazard trees from last year's Tejano Canyon and Rock House Fire.

Has anyone worked with these guys before? Do they humboldt cut or conventional?

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably going to be like working with your Youtube buddy, The C-Faller, and all of his closest (or is that closet?) friends

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably going to be like working with your Youtube buddy, The C-Faller, and all of his closest (or is that closet?) friends

:hmm3grin2orange:

If that's the case, I'll just say, "oh no, I'm just here for the big trees you guys aren't going to do. By the way, can you pack in my other saw?"

Then I can sit on a stump and whistle "If I Were King of the Forest". :laugh: Right, John?

Last edited:
:hmm3grin2orange:

If that's the case, I'll just say, "oh no, I'm just here for the big trees you guys aren't going to do. By the way, can you pack in my other saw?"

Then I can sit on a stump and whistle "If I Were King of the Forest". :laugh: Right, John?

"go ahead and grab a stump guys, it's clinic time"

I've worked with AmeriCorps maybe a dozen times, all on small jobs. Most are well meaning but clueless beyond their minimal training. I have never seen them use anything but a conventional face but I have never seen them drop a tree larger than 12-14" DBH either.

I have witnessed a couple of bad situations with AmeriCorps workers. I was not directly involved, I was just an observer. One had to do with extremely arrogant workers that refused several assignments they thought were below them. The other had to do with pampas grass removal with chainsaws. They damaged at least 2 saws using them in the wrong application but refused to use any other tool because their internal orders specified chainsaws. They needed to change what they were doing because it wasn't working but they did not care because the gov't was paying.

Good luck and don't turn your back on them.

One key to remember about Americorps, a lot of them are volunteers so they don't have the same levels of training
as regular employees. Just like with any other pseudo-government organization, they have a fair share of dysfunction.
There are some good people in the outfit but none are fallers and can be quite dangerous with a saw.
You know your subject matter so be a strong pack leader and if they ask you to do something stupid or dangerous,
don't back down.

Well it should be an interesting experience to say the least.

There is a lot of Ponderosa up there in the Davis Mountains. 30-40" on the stump is big for this far south, saw several of them in that range. Lots of 20-30" as well.

There are some good people in the outfit but none are fallers and can be quite dangerous with a saw.
You know your subject matter so be a strong pack leader and if they ask you to do something stupid or dangerous,
don't back down.

Yep. You might want to explain to them how to turn down an assignment. Tell them in no uncertain terms that you are the only faller to work hazardous trees. You may even have to explain what a hazardous tree is. Don't take anything for granted.

Hoods in the woods.

Hardly. The ones here are young, enthusiastic, idealistic Peace Corps types. They are going to college or are out of college. Most come from the Mid East or the East Coast. They tend to be tree huggers. We try to educate them on that point. They organize "youth centers" and Sunday afternoon open gyms for the local kids. They also have Girl's Nights Out and the same for boys, which are slumber parties. That's actually a good thing. Some of our local kids don't get out of the valley much.

Jamison, do not go in with a stereotype. Go with an open mind. You are too young to be cynical. Wait for a good Fist Of Doom Crushing later on...
Fist of Doom is from Dilbert.

More info... majority of the work is roadside hazards, one chain out from both sides of quite a few roads. Sure to get in on some decent sized stuff.

I've been to that area several times and a lot of the roads there follow streams or creeks, and that's where the Ponderosa like to reside.

This far south, you will also find Ponderosa in sheltered canyons with white pine (P. strobiformis) and on north facing slopes. South slopes are dominated by Pinon and juniper.

Oh, and the corps members are pretty green!

It's one of the nicer parts of TX to work in...
IMG_0117.jpg

Last edited:
Hoods in the woods.

Maybe but I never ran into an AmeriCorps volunteer who was. In fact every guy or girl I spoke with was from an east coast wealthy upbringing. More likely to be snobs than hoods. I've worked with inmate crews and youth crews but the worst was a Fed crew hired by the Soil Conservation Service...but dang it I can't remember their name.

Looks like an adventure, if nothing else, and also a primer on how to work within government agencies with questionable leadership. Plus, a job in the woods is a job in the woods, and these days, that's nothing to shake a stick at.

I worked in a tiny community that they where working in.
It was pretty funny all the drama they brought with them!
Don't let them set your standards! You have been instructed by some of the best in the world.

Not much I can add here. You got some good advice.
You might be the only one on the crew with real-world falling experience. Be very careful of your co-workers until their skill level becomes apparent. This might be a good opportunity for you to pass on what you've learned and help other people to be productive and safe.
Lead by example. If you are the most experienced guy there, they'll be watching your every move.

I worked in a tiny community that they where working in.
It was pretty funny all the drama they brought with them!
Don't let them set your standards! You have been instructed by some of the best in the world.

Yup, lots of good ol' boys on here. I owe you guys!

Not much I can add here. You got some good advice.
You might be the only one on the crew with real-world falling experience. Be very careful of your co-workers until their skill level becomes apparent. This might be a good opportunity for you to pass on what you've learned and help other people to be productive and safe.
Lead by example. If you are the most experienced guy there, they'll be watching your every move.

Well said, Bob.

This crew is pretty inexperienced from what I've been told. Gonna be a huge learning experience for them. The last AmeriCorps crew here was out of the Denver area; that was before I got here though.

Back