An opportunity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright fellas, laid off from work and need to stay busy. Father just told me that he knows a lady locally that has a nursery. She gets wood and bark chip from a local landscaping company. She uses the bark chip for her nursery and some of the wood for burning. But I guess its getting out of hand for her. She said she only goes through 8 cords/year. She said there is approx. 30 cords on her land at this given moment and it just turned spring. So there will be more coming her way.

I talker to her on the phon today and scheduled to meet her in person and see the wood. We are in a large area of people and have met with some people through the years that could sell 300+ cords a year easy. So worrying about selling the wood is not the problem.

Obviously, I would be getting everything in writing with her to make sure both party's are covered. I have no where to store the wood. She offered to let me process, stack and store the wood there throughout the year to sell it. All she said she cares about is she wants me to process her 8 cords of wood and the rest can be mine for the year.

Some of this wood is so large she is not sure if I can even cut it up. Other options come into mind as I have a family friend who owns a band mill. I have never done that stuff nor know who to sell it to.

So the big question is, is it worth my time? I don't have to go out to the woods and get it myself, I don't have to pay for a logtruck or pay for the wood, period! Its already on flat, clear land with space to work. I don't even have to pay to store it there.

All thats required out of me is to buck it, split it, stack it, deliver it. I was hoping to get your guys' thoughts on this and if possible help me figure out what I should incorporate for overhead. I want to price the firewood for sale accurately and make as best a profit margin as possible.

One issue is until I can see it in person tomorrow, I wont know how much of what species there is. A cord of the lower grade species like, poplar, pine, etc. is not going to net me as much yield as the higher grade species would around here. I can ask $150/cd or so on avg. for the pine type species, $200-250/cd on the fir/birch/tam. Sometimes because of the area I could get elm, maple, etc. Which I might be able to ask $250-300/cd.

Planned on charging IRS drive compensation $.565/mile driven from her place to the location of delivery for delivery charge. Any stacking would be extra. Was thinking about $20 extra/cd.

What do you guys think so far? :confused2:

You have got to do what you have got to do. $150- 250 a cord just seems like to much work for the money, but I guess that is what selling wood is. I hate to say this but if you just got laid off, then sale the wood under the table and draw unemployment. I guess I say that if you don't have a job and there is money to made there in those logs then why the hell not.

If the wood is good go for it, if you have saws n mauls you can't lose any thing but your time. And a little gas.

Is the area secure? Don't want to go to all that work and have someone borrow the wood.

It sounds like a good idea to me and I agree to get unemployment. This is just extra money in your pocket. That's all that matters.

Alright fellas, laid off from work and need to stay busy. Father just told me that he knows a lady locally that has a nursery. She gets wood and bark chip from a local landscaping company. She uses the bark chip for her nursery and some of the wood for burning. But I guess its getting out of hand for her. She said she only goes through 8 cords/year. She said there is approx. 30 cords on her land at this given moment and it just turned spring. So there will be more coming her way.

I talker to her on the phon today and scheduled to meet her in person and see the wood. We are in a large area of people and have met with some people through the years that could sell 300+ cords a year easy. So worrying about selling the wood is not the problem.

Obviously, I would be getting everything in writing with her to make sure both party's are covered. I have no where to store the wood. She offered to let me process, stack and store the wood there throughout the year to sell it. All she said she cares about is she wants me to process her 8 cords of wood and the rest can be mine for the year.

Some of this wood is so large she is not sure if I can even cut it up. Other options come into mind as I have a family friend who owns a band mill. I have never done that stuff nor know who to sell it to.

So the big question is, is it worth my time? I don't have to go out to the woods and get it myself, I don't have to pay for a logtruck or pay for the wood, period! Its already on flat, clear land with space to work. I don't even have to pay to store it there.

All thats required out of me is to buck it, split it, stack it, deliver it. I was hoping to get your guys' thoughts on this and if possible help me figure out what I should incorporate for overhead. I want to price the firewood for sale accurately and make as best a profit margin as possible.

One issue is until I can see it in person tomorrow, I wont know how much of what species there is. A cord of the lower grade species like, poplar, pine, etc. is not going to net me as much yield as the higher grade species would around here. I can ask $150/cd or so on avg. for the pine type species, $200-250/cd on the fir/birch/tam. Sometimes because of the area I could get elm, maple, etc. Which I might be able to ask $250-300/cd.

Planned on charging IRS drive compensation $.565/mile driven from her place to the location of delivery for delivery charge. Any stacking would be extra. Was thinking about $20 extra/cd.

What do you guys think so far? :confused2:

Just on general principles, if I was out of work and someone offered me that gig, man....wouldnt take me two seconds to go HELLYA.

Agreed, selling firewood in such a conventional manner does not allow for such a great profit margin. I can really only consider it if I can even come out on top with something to speak of. May or may not work. We'll see though.

Her property is gated. She also lives on an end of a road. Neighbors and such are all on guard on anyone new coming around. I don't think she would let me sell the scrap junk wood, etc. because then she would have to sell it for me. Unless I were to pay her a %.

At the moment, I just have my saw, mauls, etc. Sold my log splitter last year as I had to move, needed money and did not have the space for it. Biggest thing going against me is not having a trailer and splitter. Can't haul as much at one time and can't split fast enough.

I would hope to do 2 cords cut, split, stacked per day. I could make her 30 cords disappear in 3 weeks.

wood and more wood and more wood

Agreed, selling firewood in such a conventional manner does not allow for such a great profit margin. I can really only consider it if I can even come out on top with something to speak of. May or may not work. We'll see though.

Her property is gated. She also lives on an end of a road. Neighbors and such are all on guard on anyone new coming around. I don't think she would let me sell the scrap junk wood, etc. because then she would have to sell it for me. Unless I were to pay her a %.

At the moment, I just have my saw, mauls, etc. Sold my log splitter last year as I had to move, needed money and did not have the space for it. Biggest thing going against me is not having a trailer and splitter. Can't haul as much at one time and can't split fast enough.

I would hope to do 2 cords cut, split, stacked per day. I could make her 30 cords disappear in 3 weeks.

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL,

You are looking at some work with few tools,
until you know whether it is a Godzilla type
score you will not know.

If its a Godzilla type haul you have a few options.

As the area is secured with a gate; I would look
at renting a chomper or splitting the haul with
the same Chomper owner BECAUSE you will
not need a skidder or forwarder and no
chainsaw to process the wood other than
to drop the tree and cut out sections that
affecting the straightness of the log.
Saying that as long as the crooked log
is section is straight it will go through the chomper.

Now you can go on to part two- If the big logs are not good for lumber you can still cut them down to size with a band mill to 14 by 14 or 16 by 16 beams AND then feed them through the chomper to make firewood bundles or simply shear 12 inch long firewood at 6second cycle times.

You can feed the slabwood through the chomper too as it will handle that quickly

The chomper will take tree length wood and process it quickly but it has to be sized to 14 or 16 inch diameter.

You can download an owners reference list and contact a chomper owner near you to discuss the wood haul if it is Godzilla size.

I'm going to be short with this.. no work = no money... selling wood = money.. may not be a lot but it's cash in the pocket. Work your arse off and step up to the plate.. It's a free work out... think of the positives.. BUT.. If you say yes don't stop half way cause it's hard work.. That will get around and you will never get another deal like this..

I would hope to do 2 cords cut, split, stacked per day.

By hand, working alone, day after day? Have you ever cut split and stacked 2 cord in a single day alone? Just asking.... I never have, and I think I could probably do it once. I wouldn't be getting out of bed the next day though, if they were honest full cords.

Shaun

Get all your wood blocked up first. You may even luck out and it will come from the landscapers cut to length. Wouldn't even hurt to talk to the guys and see if they will help you out by cutting to the length you want. Offer a discount for people who will pick up blocked
Loads from your yard. This will get some cash flow going. Consider borrowing or renting a splitter for a few days. 2 cords a day blocked/hand split and stacked is not sustainable. Also consider selling wholesale to guys who are willing to pick up. If I see a local ad for processed wood well below my prices I will often approach the seller and buy all of it. I pay them cash as I take it, load it up and drop it directly at my customers.( with a substancial mark up of course). I don't care if it is stacked or not. I know how much wood my trailer will hold without stacking.

Just a thought, if you are recently laid off I assume you are also keeping an eye out for another job. If you get one would you be able to continue selling wood or would you have to back out of whatever deal you make with this lady? I'm not a big fan of collecting unemployment and working under the table myself, but that's a decision that's entirely up to you. You're not going to make a lot of cash with this, but I was out of work I would take any opportunity to earn a buck.

You can download an owners reference list and contact a chomper owner near you to discuss the wood haul if it is Godzilla size.

Was unable to find this list you speak of...

So I took a gander out to her property today, here is what I have up against me:

0403131728a_zps200abb2b.jpg

0403131728_zps705d527c.jpg

0403131727b_zps1b7fb0f2.jpg

0403131727a_zpsc54b38c5.jpg

0403131727_zps51c46db1.jpg

0403131726_zps4949b514.jpg

Its estimated to be between 25-30 cords. Its a mix of pine, elm, fir, birch, softwood like poplar. Some pieces have a diameter of about 3-4ft. Everything in this pile is from last year and are seasoned according to them. Although, I know better as not all of it will be.

The couple was discussing on buying a splitter for themselves and letting me use it to split the wood. Not only that but also letting me use their dual axle trailer to haul wood. I gotta tell ya, I have NEVER have people go out of their way like this to help me out!

All I can really see from this point on is just having their firewood to processm, my wear/tear on my saw and labor as my overhead for this. I estimate that I could have nearly 60 cords or more to sell by fall!

I have to touch base with them Saturday and see if they were able to source a splitter as this is the make it or break it for the deal. I tried to see what a local rental place had for a splitter and it was a JOKE. Little rinky dink 22 ton that probably wouldn't even be towable behind an ATV!

Whatchya guys think?

Ha! What I think is the lightest round in that pile will go more than a hundred lbs! You are already stout, you are gonna look like a pro rassler when you get done! HAHAHAH! Gonna need a serious splitter with all those big logs and a way to move them around.

I see some Black Locust in the pile too, excellent wood. Don't want to go back and reread every thing. I believe you said she owns a nursery? If she does and would let you make small stacks and sell them there, to go, at $10, $20, per stack, or $35 per trunk load, you could make a lot of money. I looked at the stacks a local nursery was selling and figured they were making about $600 per cord. They were buying tractor trailer loads of split Oak at well over $100 per cord. When I was younger I could split and stack 2 cord a day of all straight Oak. You have much more work with your mix. Good luck, Joe.

Was unable to find this list you speak of...

So I took a gander out to her property today, here is what I have up against me:

0403131728a_zps200abb2b.jpg

0403131728_zps705d527c.jpg

0403131727b_zps1b7fb0f2.jpg

0403131727a_zpsc54b38c5.jpg

0403131727_zps51c46db1.jpg

0403131726_zps4949b514.jpg

Its estimated to be between 25-30 cords. Its a mix of pine, elm, fir, birch, softwood like poplar. Some pieces have a diameter of about 3-4ft. Everything in this pile is from last year and are seasoned according to them. Although, I know better as not all of it will be.

The couple was discussing on buying a splitter for themselves and letting me use it to split the wood. Not only that but also letting me use their dual axle trailer to haul wood. I gotta tell ya, I have NEVER have people go out of their way like this to help me out!

All I can really see from this point on is just having their firewood to processm, my wear/tear on my saw and labor as my overhead for this. I estimate that I could have nearly 60 cords or more to sell by fall!

I have to touch base with them Saturday and see if they were able to source a splitter as this is the make it or break it for the deal. I tried to see what a local rental place had for a splitter and it was a JOKE. Little rinky dink 22 ton that probably wouldn't even be towable behind an ATV!

Whatchya guys think?

You might have half that many thrown cords of 12 inch wood at 165 cubic feet per cord. A Timberwolf TW7 with a log lift will manage this with a 12 inch block.

Here is the link to the Rainier Hydraulics home page for you since you could not find it...........................

Firewood Processors Chomper Rainier

I am not a chomper firewood processor dealer and I want to make sure that everyone knows this(They have not had a dealer network since the very early 1980's).

You need a small wood mizer band saw mill with at least two extension rails and a skid steer or back hoe to make quick work of this as the logs are straight.

I have provided you the owners list as of 2005 and the reference and information packet that Mr. Aikin has on the home page.

The sooner you get the logs sized down to 14 by 14 or 16 by 16 with the bandsaw mill the better you will be whether or not you work with a local chomper owner. The bandsaw mill takes a long bar chain saw for blocking logs out of the math question and reduces the sawdust mess to a minimum before you block them up AND you can split up the slabs with or without a chomper firewood processor.

YOU may be much better off collaborating with a bandsaw mill owner anyway as the owner will have a both a peavey and cant hook as well as a truck and the wood will make great soft and hardwood beams obviously, and you can siphon off the slabs that he or she may not want.

Your going to need some water to wash off the logs and the dirt that are on the ground after moving them if you use a band mill.

Last edited:
Back