Analyze This

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a never used Husqvarna 357xp off a gentleman that got it at an outdoor power equipment expo from a Husqvarva rep seven years ago. For reasons unknown he never used it and I landed the deal. He shipped it and when I unearthed it I could not believe how well he packaged it, by far the best job I have witnessed. In my excitement to examine a 2003ish pre-etech saw, I started looking for the ID tag to see the year.......uhh........no tag on the side........uhh........I remembered the last 357xp I had had the tag under the handlebar near the clutch cover.........uhhhh......not there. Upon closer inspection there are two ground off rivots where the tag should be. From my correspondences with the guy and the immaculate packing job, I know the guy probably didn't even know the tag was missing and that's exactly what he said when I asked him. He said send it back, full refund including shipping. He has a substantial equipment business and didn't hide that.

Now while I have no problems with the seller, I am beyond curious why the tag was ground off. It is brand new, never cut wood. Has the manual and spare chain. Around these parts, a ground off tag equals a stolen saw. I don't even like having it in the shop.

Is it remotely possible for the reps to sell leftover saws without a warrenty and take the tag off because of that? Seems about 100% unlikely, but what does a guy from just Northeast of Northeast know? I know just about enough to not want this on my property any longer than it takes to get it to the Post Office monday morning.

Your thoughts gentleman?

It was available to anyone in the U.S.A., would he risk getting busted over it? I mean he could have been sending it to someone who wouldn't look the other way and contact the police.

[QUOTEI mean he could have been sending it to someone who wouldn't look the other way and contact the police.[/QUOTE]

Good point there..............but still smellin' fishy.......:blob5:

You have an invoice? You did not steal the saw which cannot be identified as stolen as it has no identification. I am not sure of the laws on unidentified saws but if it was mine and stolen I would want someone honest to use it.

If I planned to use it long term, I might take a chance and keep it.

With the new found fascination with saws, I have a tendancy to turn them over often and the 357xp isn't high on my "must keep" list. I don't want to put myself in the position of having to explain this to every perspective buyer in the future.

It's surprising how many people there are out there that think they need the top of the line everything and then end up never using them. Most of the fun is in the chase, once you catch the item it becomes old hat quickly.

From my knowledge of Husqvarna's K750 stone saw and the fact many have required a new crankcase due to a weak mounting point constantly breaking and requireing replacements, I know that Husky replacement Crankcases come without Serial Plates.

Was it ground off or just missing?

No IDea

I bought a never used Husqvarna 357xp off a gentleman that got it at an outdoor power equipment expo from a Husqvarva rep seven years ago. For reasons unknown he never used it and I landed the deal. He shipped it and when I unearthed it I could not believe how well he packaged it, by far the best job I have witnessed. In my excitement to examine a 2003ish pre-etech saw, I started looking for the ID tag to see the year.......uhh........no tag on the side........uhh........I remembered the last 357xp I had had the tag under the handlebar near the clutch cover.........uhhhh......not there. Upon closer inspection there are two ground off rivots where the tag should be. From my correspondences with the guy and the immaculate packing job, I know the guy probably didn't even know the tag was missing and that's exactly what he said when I asked him. He said send it back, full refund including shipping. He has a substantial equipment business and didn't hide that.

Now while I have no problems with the seller, I am beyond curious why the tag was ground off. It is brand new, never cut wood. Has the manual and spare chain. Around these parts, a ground off tag equals a stolen saw. I don't even like having it in the shop.

Is it remotely possible for the reps to sell leftover saws without a warrenty and take the tag off because of that? Seems about 100% unlikely, but what does a guy from just Northeast of Northeast know? I know just about enough to not want this on my property any longer than it takes to get it to the Post Office monday morning.

Your thoughts gentleman?

That is very strange indeed. You may be onto something about rep the pulling the tag as it was probably given for promotional purposes and not for retail resale.

If you were going to keep it I wouldn't worry but if you want to turn it over it would probably end up being a PITA and at the very least you would then fall under supicion of your buyer. In any case the value of a perfectly good saw is diminished.

I have a saw that came to me for free that I found after I'd had it a while, didn't have a tag. The saw was way beat up and worn so the tag is probably in the woods somewhere or the back of a pickup half full of PBR cans and spruce sprills. But it still made me uneasy all the same.

From my knowledge of Husqvarna's K750 stone saw and the fact many have required a new crankcase due to a weak mounting point constantly breaking and requireing replacements, I know that Husky replacement Crankcases come without Serial Plates.

Was it ground off or just missing?

Yeah, the two ground rivots are right under the handlebar just to the left of the clutch cover. They weren't really noticeable until I started searching for the tag.

The saw will be headed back to the seller monday, what a shame.

You could EASILY make your money back selling it in parts, and keep whatever you think you might need in the future. I would NOT want a stolen saw around my shop.
I doubt it is stolen if the story is that it came from a Husqvarna rep. Ever see legitimate businesses disposing of magazines that are missing the covers? They don't ship the whole magazine back for credit, just the cover. Probably the same for a saw. Most people selling stolen stuff are too stupid to remove the tag. If it looks like it has been removed by a trained hand, and not by a crackhead who already sold his tools for crack, then it could be legit.

If you want the saw, and you're that concerned, offer to notify your local law enforcement. I bet the seller will produce a serial number and data plate for it. Is there a S/N noted on the bill of sale?

You could EASILY make your money back selling it in parts, and keep whatever you think you might need in the future. I would NOT want a stolen saw around my shop.
I doubt it is stolen if the story is that it came from a Husqvarna rep. Ever see legitimate businesses disposing of magazines that are missing the covers? They don't ship the whole magazine back for credit, just the cover. Probably the same for a saw. Most people selling stolen stuff are too stupid to remove the tag. If it looks like it has been removed by a trained hand, and not by a crackhead who already sold his tools for crack, then it could be legit.

If you want the saw, and you're that concerned, offer to notify your local law enforcement. I bet the seller will produce a serial number and data plate for it. Is there a S/N noted on the bill of sale?

Nope, no serial number on the bill of sale, but I don't put one on my bill of sales either.

Someone took their time removing the tag, no scratches around where it was, just a couple marks where a dremel wheel might have made contact.

Legitimately bought from a legitimate business with a proof of purchase too.

I wouldn't be concerned beyond that.

You seem to feel the guy is also legit, so why doubt his story about when and where he bought it?

I find it quite believeable that a Husky rep selling off a saw cheap will remove the tag. Maybe that was his not so legit perk of the job.

No different to those stores that sell off branded clothes at knock down prices with the tags cut out to my mind.

Nope, no serial number on the bill of sale, but I don't put one on my bill of sales either.

Someone took their time removing the tag, no scratches around where it was, just a couple marks where a dremel wheel might have made contact.

Why wouldn't you take care doing it, it's a brand new saw after all.

Legitimately bought from a legitimate business with a proof of purchase too.

I wouldn't be concerned beyond that.

You seem to feel the guy is also legit, so why doubt his story about when and where he bought it?

I agree, but would want a written and signed statement about the origin of the saw, if I was to keep it.

Last edited:
How do I get ahold of the seller? Sure could use a new saw:)
Does sound kind of fishy, maybe they removed it to put on another saw?

Latest posts

Back