And the winner is......... Knut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tried some different friction hitches; Valdotain tresse, Distel, Swabbish....
But I found that the Knut Hitch was the one that worked best for me.
View attachment 264874
Have any of you tried the Knut hitch, and how do you think it compares to other friction hitches?

Yep, tried it long time ago and it gets harder and harder to climb on when working. It just tightens up and the VT has better constant behavior. But thats only my opinion and keep on going on what you think works best for you ;-)

What about the knots on the karabiner ? What is the benefit of those ?

I gave the VT a god try since most people is saying good things about it, but I had it jammed in the pulley most of the time. But maybe I have a pulley that is a bit too big? I'm waiting for my hitch climber pulley I've just ordered. Hopefully that will improve how the VT works...

The knots on the carbiner is figure 8 on bight. Maybe a bit bulky..... :msp_biggrin:
Any recommendations on a not so bulky knot to tie on the biner?

I use the knut as the hitch for my foot loops, it works well for that. I haven't tried climbing on it, but I think it would work well if you use the right size chord for it.

I use a fisherman's to attach my Blake's to the biner, and can't say anything bad about it.

Haven't tried climbing on a knut; have heard that having two knuts is a luxury, but one is a necessity.
Michoacan works nice with a hitchclimber.

That Michoacan looks a bit similar to the Distel hitch.
I guess I have to try that also.... :msp_smile:

If I add a pantin on my right foot and a Hand ascender with foot loop on the left, would that be a good climbing rig?
At the moment I'm using a GriGri2 in a YoYo system.

Oh...and more to the question: I have tried the knut a couple of times and have been happy with it. Usually I use the VT. Frankly, I just tied the knut once or twice from the book, and haven't tied it again, so I just need to practice it 4-5 times so I have it down by memory and I may switch to it. I have never had a VT slip, but I know others have, so I am not opposed to switching.

Is that a screwlock carabiner?
Yep, that's correct. A relly big one. Also.
I havent had the VT to slip yet, probably a good hitch, but I just liked the Knut better. Will try all the variants again, including the Michoacan this WE.

Yep, that's correct. A relly big one. Also.
I havent had the VT to slip yet, probably a good hitch, but I just liked the Knut better. Will try all the variants again, including the Michoacan this WE.

You shouldnt use screwlock biners cause they can come un screwed and open up and you could fall to your death.

Back