And this, boys and girls, is why we should ALWAYS wear our PPE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of an incident here on my block a few weeks ago. I had a crew of tree fellers and chippers here taking down a bunch of big timber and chipping it up through a big Vermeer, and the most experienced bloke, in his 50s, been doing this all his life, cut himself up pretty badly with a Husky chainsaw when an overhead branch he was cutting came down on him. The chainsaw took his helmet off, ate up the edge of it while doing so, cut him same as OP's injury on his head, then tore up the top of his right shoulder into, well, mincemeat.

I had to convince the guy to go to the hospital (he kept saying "nyah, it's nothing"), and after he finally went, they stitched his head up with 20 stitches but could do little for the mincemeat shoulder except put a dressing over it. An hour later he was back at work, refused my offer of painkillers, blood pouring from his shoulder down his back. Scary tough guy. The youngsters with their cellphones are another breed!

It also made me realise that if someone so experienced can injure himself that badly, and that quickly (took about 2 seconds), just through dealing with a branch, I'd better be extremely respectful of chainsaws from now on!

Back