another 044 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elksniper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to all new member but just by searching over the last couple months with your expert help I was able to rebuild piston/cylinder on one of my older 44's. my reason for posting now is my other one has a good compression but the flywheel side bearing was frozen after taking apart and getting it free i reassembled and it runs good but has (obviously) slight bearing noise. my thoughts are to run until it seizes and do the entire bottom then or should I replace now along with a new cylinder.It being a 10mm pin I am stuck paying $108 for ring/piston. I also don't think i can split the case on this saw due to lack of experience and tools so I will have to take it in. So could i cause more damage to the crank if i continue to run it? I am unfamiliar with the innards of these saws.Thanks for any advice this board is incredible .

Just replace the bearings.. before you loose a cage and toast the cylinder.

$108 for a piston? cheap.... ($140 list) - just do it and forget it.

or.. sell it on ebay and buy a later model.

Thanks for the input would that be the cage on the piston pin or do the bearing have cages also? The price is good cuz I already bought it before i took the saw apart the dealer said that stihl parts had come down some recently or maybe he had it sitting in stock says stihl on the box I suppose i should open and look at the piston now you got me worried ha ha. Thanks again for your advice.

Latest posts

Back