Another Chain Saw Recommendation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures of the personal protection equipment. I guess its kind of like having a nice car and taking pictures of the tires...

Any recommendations for a decent set of gloves?

Chuck

No pictures of the personal protection equipment. I guess its kind of like having a nice car and taking pictures of the tires...

Any recommendations for a decent set of gloves?

Chuck

Really, hmm, I don't think of it like that. I'm very proud of my PPE.

I started using chainsaws when I was 15. This is the first time I cut myself with a chainsaw nearly 30 years later.That little nick in my knee took about 1/2 second to occur. It took me about 5 seconds to realize what had happened. IT took me 2 minutes to go and find the boss and thank him for supplying PPE. It took the boss 5 minutes before he was on the phone to the supplier ordering a service on the chainsaw and a new set of chaps for me. If I hadn't been wearing the chaps it would have taken probably 6 months before I could begin learning to walk again.

So if you ask me the chainsaw is the tires of the car. The PPE is the engine.

Stop being a fool Chuck and get some PPE!!!!!

Last edited:
Ppe

Stop being a fool...I take offense to that. I don't have steel toe boots and kevlar gloves. I do have hearing, eye, face, and leg protection. :greenchainsaw:

Safety can never be taken too far and only idiots argue they don't need PPE.

In addition to not having pictures of PPE, I don't have any pictures of me sawing like most of you guys. I do have a pine tree down in my backyard... maybe I'll have my wife take a picture, but I doubt it.

Last, your picture is good reminder that even with experienced operators, accidents happen.

Chuck

Stop being a fool...I take offense to that. I don't have steel toe boots and kevlar gloves. I do have hearing, eye, face, and leg protection. :greenchainsaw:

Chuck

No need to take offense Chuck. If you have the gear then great. Get yourself the steel toes ASAP. I seldom wear gloves when I am sawing unless I am climbing or doing extended bucking.

I worded my thread in that way because many HO's will say "oh yeah I've got the PPE sorted" - and the next week they're the star of a chainsaw injury thread. If you have got it sorted then great, get out there and start cutting. If not please read and heed my last post.

Now, onto other business. Is this your first saw? I understand you are going to cut some fallen tree's. Do you have experience doing this. I ask because fallen tree's are actually very dangerous to cut. If you do not have experience it would be well worth your while to get together with someone who does so you can learn the basics.

Always make sure there is someone else there whenever you use a chainsaw. Just in case anything happens, you probably won't be able to help yourself.

Stay Safe
EdenT

P.S. A picture of your PPE will get you repped by me!!!

P.P.S. Like your new sig!!!

Last edited:
This is my first saw and I have limited experience (probably 20 tanks in my short life with a Stihl 260). I've limbed, I've bucked, and I've fallen some 24" trees, nothing big.

This forum has helped me select a saw, PPE, a tachometer, and has been useful for other areas as well. I can see where others may skip the PPE, but I have a family to support, I need all my limbs (as I would hope most of us think along the same lines), and I'm willing to spend the necessary dollars to keep me whole. I will say I'm struggling with the prospect of shelling out $250+ for some boots. Last, I'll ask my wife to take an action shot when I can finally get around to cleaning up the fallen pine tree.

Chuck

$250 no way....

Unless you are planning on climbing in spurs you don't really need chainsaw proof climbing boots. An ordinary pair of steel capped work boots is sufficient provided they have a high ankle, are sturdy, and you tuck the laces in or wear those sock saver thingies (loose dangly things should be avoided altogether when you are using as saw). Shouldn't think they will set you back more than $70.

Good luck with the fallen tree. Things to watch out for -

When you cut bits of it be careful as the remainder of the tree may shift due to weight 'movement'.
When you cut the base plate off it may want to 'stand back up' in it's hole.
Be particularly careful of where the tip of your saw goes. Horizontal tree's present a lot of potential kickback situations.
Be careful of the saw jamming. Fallen tree's tend to have compression and expansion wood in strange places depending on where the wood is resting on the ground.
Have the second person with a phone standing by just in case.

BE VERY CAREFUL!
All the best to your family!
EdenT

Unless you are planning on climbing in spurs you don't really need chainsaw proof climbing boots. An ordinary pair of steel capped work boots is sufficient provided they have a high ankle, are sturdy, and you tuck the laces in or wear those sock saver thingies (loose dangly things should be avoided altogether when you are using as saw). Shouldn't think they will set you back more than $70.

Good luck with the fallen tree. Things to watch out for -

When you cut bits of it be careful as the remainder of the tree may shift due to weight 'movement'.
When you cut the base plate off it may want to 'stand back up' in it's hole.
Be particularly careful of where the tip of your saw goes. Horizontal tree's present a lot of potential kickback situations.
Be careful of the saw jamming. Fallen tree's tend to have compression and expansion wood in strange places depending on where the wood is resting on the ground.
Have the second person with a phone standing by just in case.

BE VERY CAREFUL!
All the best to your family!
EdenT

+1 on the boots.
+1 on the advise for working a wind thrown tree. When I was a kid I thought a blown over tree was a breeze because the business of getting it down was done. Just hack it off at the stump, right? Wrong. Got my XL pinched in solid.

Look the tree over real good to see what points of contact with the ground are doing with regards to compression, tension and torque at the stump. Have a backup saw to cut yourself free if you can. A spare bar and chain would be next best. Check with your dealer and see if he has a nuthin special used small mount bar.

Got wedges?

You've got a great 50cc saw. Get a 70cc saw next.

Be safe, have fun.

Edit: I typed what is below before I saw that you bought the Husky. You won't regret it.

I am not a "saw guy".
I cut firewood, and have been clearing 40 year growth into pasture.
The only 3 types of saws I know are Husqvarna, Stihl, and all others.

A few years ago my Craftsman 45cc (maybe 46, but I can't remember) was worn out. It ran strong, but after about 7 years of firewood cutting the case, handles, and everything were so loose that I couldn't steer it straight through wood.

So I bought a Stihl MS290 after debating about getting the husky 346xp.
Both say they have the same power, the Stihl is about 3 pounds heavier.
I had never run a 346xp and it was $130 more. I had run the 029's quite a bit (my dad's and cousin's saws).
The Stihl did OK, but mine seemed unpowered and overweight. It didn't seem to run as good as Dad's 029. It did what I wanted, but I was not impressed.

December 2009 my building was broken into and my 021 and MS290 were stolen. I bought the Husky 346xp. This is the saw I wish I had bought the first time. It is well worth the $130 more you spend over the MS290.
It is fast, light, and handles well. I really look forward to using this saw.
It was $130 more, but worth every penny.

If I ever recover my MS290, I'm going to sell it and keep the Husky.

Last edited:
I also agree with PPE. Safety glasses, chaps and hard toe boots are minimum.

As others have stated, cutting leaners are dangerous. If you aren't confident that you can make the wood go where you want - don't cut it.
Go ask someone you know that is experienced to take a look and offer advice. If it isn't bad, most guys will cut it for you to show you how and tell you what they are looking for.

Also, to keep it all in one thread. Every time I used the MS 290, the air filter needed cleaned. I kept a tooth brush in the case, and would brush it off before starting each day. I have run about a gallon of gas through the 346xp. I pulled the filter and it was still clean.

Pine Tree

The pine tree isn't leaning on any other trees. I'll be sure to take some pictures before and during the clean-up process. I'm still awaiting the snow to melt as handling a chain saw in the snow doesn't appeal to me. This consideration, however, will quite possibly push this little project back into April.

Chuck

Back