Another Craig's List Score = Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Seems that between my Stihl dealer and Craig's List, my CAD has kicked into high gear. Drove about an hour to purchase this 026 for $75.

The Craig's List ad stated that the saw ran good but the clutch was frozen. He was looking to unload the saw for $75 or a trade for some archery or fishing gear. When I got there, he started the saw right up and showed me that when he throttled it up, it would just bog. He said, "the thing that the chain turns on is frozen." He turned off the saw and I started my inspection. Compression was 155 PSI after that brief run period. No scoring on the cylinder walls that I could see. Kept my mouth shut about the chain brake...

75 bucks cash and a hand shake, and I was on my way home.

No cracks in any plastic. Some slight issues with the on/off switch that were remedied as soon as I got home. Came with 18" bar and chain. All of the the dirt was free, though.

Don't worry, I will be going to confession in the morning.

BTW, Enjoy...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

wow nice score! clean her up and she should be right as rain.

my brother in law called me about a saw he borrowed from his brother one time. said it was all locked up.... hand brakes are wonderful eh?

I'm just not sure what to say about that one.....
To be positive and not make you feel any more guilty than you already are I think that that guy was just too dumb to be using a saw anyway and you might have just saved his life.:dizzy:

That sure looks like an 026 Pro to me. Looks like it has a decompression valve. Nice find! I traded 5 sheets of free plywood for my 026 Pro, and its not going anywhere!!!

That sure looks like an 026 Pro to me. Looks like it has a decompression valve. Nice find! I traded 5 sheets of free plywood for my 026 Pro, and its not going anywhere!!!

the air filter cover looks newer on it.... isnt that where the pro sticker goes on the 026?

I don't see a compression button, just the black plastic cover. 026 non-pro

Or you think the other way on it. He got it in a trade with someone for something else, or worse and took it from someone else. Since it looks like it has been used to cut actual wood, and it's an 026, therefore a few years old, I would surmise that the person that you got the saw from is not the original owner, regardless of what was said. Craigs list is great, if you don't mind not investigating where the good deals come from. The saw looks like it has been used. Therefore, I would say that this came from "someone's truck".

Nice find for $75, hope no one is missing a saw in your neighborhood...

That's just the other side in me... Didn't mean to rain on the parade.

:chainsaw:
Seems that between my Stihl dealer and Craig's List, my CAD has kicked into high gear. Drove about an hour to purchase this 026 for $75.

The Craig's List ad stated that the saw ran good but the clutch was frozen. He was looking to unload the saw for $75 or a trade for some archery or fishing gear. When I got there, he started the saw right up and showed me that when he throttled it up, it would just bog. He said, "the thing that the chain turns on is frozen." He turned off the saw and I started my inspection. Compression was 155 PSI after that brief run period. No scoring on the cylinder walls that I could see. Kept my mouth shut about the chain brake...

75 bucks cash and a hand shake, and I was on my way home.

No cracks in any plastic. Some slight issues with the on/off switch that were remedied as soon as I got home. Came with 18" bar and chain. All of the the dirt was free, though.

Don't worry, I will be going to confession in the morning.

BTW, Enjoy...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to laugh when I heard you say that you kept your mouth shut, about the chain break. I used to be a certified Stihl Technician, and I had a guy bring a Stihl saw in once, to the small engine repair shop where I worked and said I screwed up his saw when I serviced it.
I grabbed the chain, and it wouldn't spin. I pulled back on the chain brake lever, and ungauged it. Pulled on the chain, and it turned.
This guy, who worked for another small engine shop that closed up, carried Stihl products, and was certified to work on Stihl products, prior to the place I used to work for took over.
Goes to show you that there are a lot of No Brainers out the, who should not operate any type of power equipment, due to hazards to there health. I agree with one of the other replies you received. You just might have saved his life, or hurting himself. Happy cutting with your new saw.
Bruce

:green chainsaw: :chainsaw: :green chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Or you think the other way on it. He got it in a trade with someone for something else, or worse and took it from someone else. Since it looks like it has been used to cut actual wood, and it's an 026, therefore a few years old, I would surmise that the person that you got the saw from is not the original owner, regardless of what was said. Craigs list is great, if you don't mind not investigating where the good deals come from. The saw looks like it has been used. Therefore, I would say that this came from "someone's truck".

Nice find for $75, hope no one is missing a saw in your neighborhood...

That's just the other side in me... Didn't mean to rain on the parade.

I often wonder the same thing about things on Craig's List, eBay, etc. The guy had two other (newer) saws in his garage. Looks like he had a new MS270 or 280 and maybe a MS250??? I couldn't see them too good, but nonetheless, they were significantly cleaner (and newer). So, it is hard to say, if he just went out and bought a new one to replace this or what...

The saw is a regular 026, no decomp. The air filter looks older??? Doesn't seem to be a lot of surface area. Is this something that can be upgraded? I have IPL's for the MS260, but does anyone have them for the 026?

Craigs list is great, if you don't mind not investigating where the good deals come from. The saw looks like it has been used. Therefore, I would say that this came from "someone's truck".

You just may be on to the truth here.
CL is a tough call. We all want to get a good deal and sometimes drive a ways to get it. No one wants to be a cop. I've asked a few times if the saw was hot but I never expected to get a straight answer, only to watch the expression.

Then the other issue with getting a deal at the owners expense. I've started a policy that if they say it's not running, for whatever reason they think, I don't try to start it. I've already made up my mind to buy it by the photo and what they say on the phone.
If I get it home and it only needs a carb kit, I feel no guilt. If it needs p&c, then i'll still probably make money on it when i sell it.

Last edited:
You just may be on to the truth here.
CL is a tough call. We all want to get a good deal and sometimes drive a ways to get it. No one wants to be a cop. I've asked a few times if the saw was hot but I never expected to get a straight answer, only to watch the expression.

Then the other issue with getting a deal at the owners expense. I've started a policy that if they say it's not running, for whatever reason they think, I don't try to start it. I've already made up my mind to buy it by the photo and what they say on the phone.
If I get it home and it only needs a carb kit, I feel no guilt.

I agree with you in what you say. CL is a tough call. I ask a lot of questions before I venture out (does it run, were you the original owner, do you have an owners manual). Most of the time, the pics aren't great. So, I usually make up my mind as soon as I see it, and if it isn't love at first sight, then it goes through the rigorous inspection if I am still interested. I find that the people who really care for their stuff have the original owners manual. I am kind of weird about that, but it gives more credibility to the person for keeping it. After all, it is the Bible for that particular saw and if they still have it, they probably have referred back to it for maintenance.

Then there is the other side of the coin...

Whether the person is ignorant (not knowing, ill-informed, or whatever) or not, if I were to point out the error, would they have reimbursed me for my fuel costs? Probably not. Would they still go through with the deal? Who knows... The reason why they have it on CL or eBay is to get rid of it, and be compensated for it.

My conscience rests easy with the fact that they will probably sell it to someone else anyway, so why not it be me?

Stihl025,

I believe that is the same model I've been working on.

Does your air-filter cover have anything to screw onto? I see you have the black knob, but does it attach to anything?
Mine doesn't and actually falls off as I'm working with it.

What was wrong with the on/off switch if you don't mind me asking? Mine won't go to choke unless i pry up on the white lever that goes into the air filter, ans it's not the shiny metal grounding contact spring causing the problem it's something else.

I have the IPL that I got from teacherman if you're interested. I'll email them.

Bill

To be positive and not make you feel any more guilty than you already are I think that that guy was just too dumb to be using a saw anyway and you might have just saved his life.:dizzy:

I agree whole-heartedly. if he had actually used the saw, there's not much of a chance he wouldn't even know about the chain brake. that was a freakin' sweet deal on a great little saw! :cheers:

Stihl025,

I believe that is the same model I've been working on.

Does your air-filter cover have anything to screw onto? I see you have the black knob, but does it attach to anything?
Mine doesn't and actually falls off as I'm working with it.

What was wrong with the on/off switch if you don't mind me asking? Mine won't go to choke unless i pry up on the white lever that goes into the air filter, ans it's not the shiny metal grounding contact spring causing the problem it's something else.

I have the IPL that I got from teacherman if you're interested. I'll email them.

Bill

Bill,

My air filter knob uses a small plastic wing like piece to wedge itself under the two raised air filter screws. I found that the air filter housing must be fully seated down, or it won't latch correctly.

The on/off switch would not turn the saw "off" unless you wiggled the switch itself. The contact wire needed to be pushed futher into the mount. That was all.

Last edited:
Same here with the air filter cover. Took me a bit to figure it out. It wedges under the air filter screws. The wings will also turn on their own if you are not completely under the screws. i.e. You can hold them still and still turn the knob on the outside. I make sure to press the knob in as far as it will go then turn it and release until I know the wings are 'caught' under the screws. Took me a while to figure it out. << friggin' noobie!

Great deal on the 026! :jawdrop: I paid a lot more for mine. It was 'tip-top' tho.

On this one, let me just say, 'You suck!'. hahahaha

Matt

Latest posts

Back