Another dealer comment!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems there are a fair amount of negative comments about some local saw dealers, and since spring is the time of rejuvenation I thought I'd breathe some fresh life into the subject by sharing another great experience I had with my local husky dealer thiis week. I'm rebuilding a 266 e-bay find and the top cover screw holes were stripped. After a quick check at the auto parts store of there 50.00 repair kit I took it to the dealer and he fixed it for about 20.00. I also nickel and dimed him like I usually do on some misc parts for this saw and another one. This is about the only types of purchases that I make from him and he has ALWAYS been more than helpful on any questions or info I might have about any saws in question. He has cut me great deals on used parts, has set aside old product brochures (interesting to read specs on) adn more than once has copied parts lists for particular saw I'm building and thrown them into the bag for me when I pick up my parts . I'm not a logger or a tree service and I've never bought a big ticket item from him. Just a super guy to deal with. His dad started the business, it is family run, he is,, I would guess late 50's early 60's and his sister runs the office. I've never purchased a new saw, heck the saws I get are lucky to even run when they come into my garage, but this 266 is going to be sold and so is my 345 and I will soon be darkening his door with cash in hand for a new 346 xp. I'm not sure he is even sure what the internet is, (but he can rattle off the part#s of my 61 off the top of his head) so I doubt he even knows about this site, but if he does, thanks to him and thanks to all of you other dealers on HERE (regardless of brand) who still carry the same attitude about customer service and still believe that the small guy s just as important as the big ones.
My hat's off to you. :cheers:
Mike

Glad you found a good one to deal with. I'm north of you and I found one near Mason that is the same way.:greenchainsaw:

I think AS has some of the best dealers in the country as sponsors. Except for the occasional idiot rant about catalogs, everyone seems to be very happy with all the sponsors. I know Spike has outstanding service, and is a great guy.

Good dealer

Well said. I have found a great dealer also. I hope it is not a violation of the rules to name him. Leroy's Repair in Nashua, Iowa is a great place. They sell all kinds of stuff, lawn and garden, snowmobiles, ATV's and saws. They are a Stihl dealer and do great service. I take all my saws there and you can't beat the friendly service and the knowledge he and his group have is fantastic. You could not ask for a better guy. Someday soon I am going in and buy a new Stihl from him. I could probably get a better price on another saw someplace else, and I have bought used saws for years, but I also know that if I don't support his business along with many others, soon we won't have quality dealers, only low priced dealers. JR

Another Dealer Comment

I have to say our local Stihl dealer is one of the finest dealers I have ever seen. (And this includes tractor,car,boat and equipment dealers) Everyone in their store knows Stihl equipment inside out and if you ask a question they don't know the answer to they don't try to B.S. their way out of answering it, they look it up.
I have seen their head mechanic bend over backwards to keep a piece of equipment running that should have been retired years ago.
They are just top notch people to deal with!!!

Be glad you have good dealers

I wish I could say that the service I get from the local dealer was good. The Stihl dealer here is a rental shop and the people that work there are lucky if they can spell Stihl. I usually look up the part number I am after in my parts book and then make the trip to see them. The local Husqvarna dealer is a small time farm store and they carry no parts for them, makes perfect sense. :monkey:

Seems there are a fair amount of negative comments about some local saw dealers, and since spring is the time of rejuvenation I thought I'd breathe some fresh life into the subject by sharing another great experience I had with my local husky dealer thiis week. I'm rebuilding a 266 e-bay find and the top cover screw holes were stripped. After a quick check at the auto parts store of there 50.00 repair kit I took it to the dealer and he fixed it for about 20.00. I also nickel and dimed him like I usually do on some misc parts for this saw and another one. This is about the only types of purchases that I make from him and he has ALWAYS been more than helpful on any questions or info I might have about any saws in question. He has cut me great deals on used parts, has set aside old product brochures (interesting to read specs on) adn more than once has copied parts lists for particular saw I'm building and thrown them into the bag for me when I pick up my parts . I'm not a logger or a tree service and I've never bought a big ticket item from him. Just a super guy to deal with. His dad started the business, it is family run, he is,, I would guess late 50's early 60's and his sister runs the office. I've never purchased a new saw, heck the saws I get are lucky to even run when they come into my garage, but this 266 is going to be sold and so is my 345 and I will soon be darkening his door with cash in hand for a new 346 xp. I'm not sure he is even sure what the internet is, (but he can rattle off the part#s of my 61 off the top of his head) so I doubt he even knows about this site, but if he does, thanks to him and thanks to all of you other dealers on HERE (regardless of brand) who still carry the same attitude about customer service and still believe that the small guy s just as important as the big ones.
My hat's off to you. :cheers:
Mike

In my experience, the dealers that ENJOY and RUN saws in their spare time are the good ones. The ones that are in it just to make a buck are not so hot. Kind of reminds me of law enforcement officers who know very little about guns nor do they shoot or talk about them in their spare time.

My story

We have several local Stihl dealers, one is 5 minutes from my office who also handles lawnmowers, etc. I bought one new saw from him in 1995 (036) and stop in from time to time looking for fuel line, B&S and Tecumseh gaskets, etc. etc. I like Carlton chain so I don't even buy many chains from him. Stopped in a few weeks ago to get some 3/16" I.D. fuel line. They did not have any in stock, one guy went back and scrounged around in the shop and found one piece that was enough for this particular job (would not charge me for it), while this was going on the bosses wife gets on the phone and orders a spool of 3/16" line (said several people had been looking for the same) then phoned me when it arrived to see how much I wanted. I took 6 ea 1/4" spring type fuel line clamps with me (they just write it down and make one bill with the rest of the stuff shows up). Only problem is they don't have access to NOS parts for my old McCulloch saws that have so consumed me the past 6 months. I suppose I will have to buy a new lawnmower from him this year just to do my part to help keep him in business. If I ever need another Stihl saw I will certainly buy it from him.

Mark

One more thing

Oh yeah, when I bought my new saw from him, he spent about an hour going over the maintenance and operation, showed me how to start it then made me demonstrate a couple of times to make sure I really got it. Had a big log in back of the shop so we could go out and make a few cuts, offer constructive criticism on my technique, and called later on to make sure I was happy with the purchase....

Mark

Only problem is they don't have access to NOS parts for my old McCulloch saws that have so consumed me the past 6 months.

It's getting tough to find parts for 1-40,1-50, 200 and 300 series etc Macs these days. A few years a back I ordered an air filter, carb kit and rewind spring for my 1-52, they no longer carried the air filter, new sprockets are available yet though.

I wish I could say that the service I get from the local dealer was good. The Stihl dealer here is a rental shop and the people that work there are lucky if they can spell Stihl. I usually look up the part number I am after in my parts book and then make the trip to see them. The local Husqvarna dealer is a small time farm store and they carry no parts for them, makes perfect sense. :monkey:

I visited a few small towns outside of Rochester, MN last week and found the same thing...lots of rental stores listed in the yellow book or small hardware stores...but once in awhile you can find a small dealer that stocks a good amount of equipment...such as the Jonsered dealer in Plainview, MN

Back