Another eBay shafting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBay shafting cont.

The guy had about 14 "favorable feedbacks". However, as stated, it appears he totally stole everything including my money and somebody else's identity. Like I said, the phone number Paypal gave me for the guy had his name but somebody else's phone number.
Right now, I'm just trying to see what legalities I can bring in defense of my loss. Will Paypal come forth and pay what I lost?

Mike

No, the Jonsy 670 was NOT the 670 Champ just listed and I think, sold. This 670 was listed around the 12th of March, I think I bought it the 14th.

The person of interest here lives in New Sharon, Maine. I can pay about 10 bucks and get far more information about this guy. I'm just trying to determine the best way to confront this skank. Right now, I'm just trying to ferret out the best ideas I can from you folks. thanks again

Mike

Can you post a link to the auction in question? If you bought it on the 14th, that's less than a week ago, I'm not sure why you're calling the guy a thief so early.

Are you listening, Trimmmed?

Dave, I suggest you read ALL of the comments I've made on this issue and what others have said. Dave, read them and get back to us. Would you eliminate your email address after a transaction in which you sold something? What about when these two other folks keep getting phone calls about bogus transactions from this creep? Dave, are you listening?

Can you post a link to the auction in question? If you bought it on the 14th, that's less than a week ago, I'm not sure why you're calling the guy a thief so early.

that would be good. Keep in mind that when a seller says the item ships within 5 days, that means the item will leave his or her place within 5 days, not that you will receive it in 5 days. Also if they used parcel post, even the short distance from maine to ct could take as long as 14 days, up to 21 cross country.

So sorry to hear about your problem.

You paid through Paypal with a credit card that you can call and tell the credit card company to cancel the payment, right?

I don't like this automatic debiting business. I think debit cards are the dumbest thing going since they are subject to such fraud and mischief.
I don't see any reason for them when a credit card works ten times better and gives you more options and buyer protection.

If it were me, I would file a Paypal claim for "seller failure to deliver item paid for". I would call the seller's local police station and see if they will take and process a fraud complaint (but don't hold your breath). I would call the BBB if he is registered with one (probably unlikely unless he is running an Ebay business). I would call his mom, wife, kids, rest of his relatives, and anyone else I could think of. I would report him to the IRS for failure to report his fraudulantly gained income on his tax return (and ask for an IRS reward for turning in a tax cheat).

I would leave negative feedback on Ebay so the word gets out on this guy. Don't worry, if the leaves negative feedback for you and he failed to deliver then Ebay will cancel his feedback. Again, this takes some time.

But that's me. Good luck and again sorry for the mess. Nobody needs this!

Dave, I suggest you read ALL of the comments I've made on this issue and what others have said. Dave, read them and get back to us. Would you eliminate your email address after a transaction in which you sold something? What about when these two other folks keep getting phone calls about bogus transactions from this creep? Dave, are you listening?

Yup I'm listening, I also looked thru 36 pages of ebay trying to find this auction. I think if you're gonna post about an auction you should provide the link. The hocus pocus regarding his email may or may not be an issue, it's just a tad early to make that determination with no other relevant info from you. You bought on a wed, the following tuesday you're posting a thread, remember there's 2 weekend days in between that, so what, you haven't recieved a saw in a net 4 mailing days? Like I said, it's a little early imo.

Try this put up or shut up.

The guy had about 14 "favorable feedbacks". However, as stated, it appears he totally stole everything including my money and somebody else's identity. Like I said, the phone number Paypal gave me for the guy had his name but somebody else's phone number.
Right now, I'm just trying to see what legalities I can bring in defense of my loss. Will Paypal come forth and pay what I lost?

Mike

I sell an awful lot on ebay, several thousand a month sometimes. More often than not, the phone # listed in ebay is no longer a good #. People move, change their phone # and forget to change it with ebay. Unless you are making your living on ebay, I can't imagine anyone even thinking about ebay when they get a new phone #.

If you purchased it on the 14th, today is the 1st day ebay will even consider looking into it. They give the seller 7 days after payment is recieved before they will even think of filing a claim.

I hope you receive the saw, and when you do you let us know. Getting this upset only 6 days after the sale is jumping the gun a little imo.

Ear wax problems

Jumping the gun on getting all bent out of shape? Read the posts I've made. IF you got your neighbors irate phone calls because he used YOUR phone number, what would you do? Get bent out of shape or be cool, calm, collected? It's not happening to you, that's the diff. But, please do read all my posts and tell me if you think there's just a tad rotten in Denmark here. Thanks to all for their suggestions

Mike

Mike, it could very well be that you are gettin screwed, but it's hard to make that call based on reading your posts. If you are so convinced, why not post the listing? With that info available it would be easier to give you advice on what to do.

Jumping the gun on getting all bent out of shape? Read the posts I've made. IF you got your neighbors irate phone calls because he used YOUR phone number, what would you do? Get bent out of shape or be cool, calm, collected? It's not happening to you, that's the diff. But, please do read all my posts and tell me if you think there's just a tad rotten in Denmark here. Thanks to all for their suggestions

Mike

I have read your posts. I am going thru a similar situation right now with a buyer, he bought it friday, called me on saturday to tell me his funds weren't available, then I never heard from him. Today ,I send yet another invoice, and an email, and he responds, " sorry, out of town, death in the family, I'll be back on thursday." Things happen that are out of our control. Phone #'s change, people lie.... maybe the old girlfriend is lieing, we don't know. As of today, you can take it up with ebay, although they probably can't do much, and it will take a long time. I am waiting 2 months now on a refund for items I purchased that were " significantly not as described". They take their time, and hopefully you will have your saw shortly and all of this will be a moot point. good luck>>Tom

link

a link to the auction or at least the item # would be good. The mass flood of emails from this site to ebay could shake things up a bit, but without an item # who will believe us?

I have sold on ebay for about 4 years, and have been a powerseller for the last 13 consecutive months, so I understand how ebay works, and how it doesn't. I have been shafted a few times. I had a guy do a chargeback on his card because I didn't return his phonecall on july 4th, when my ebay store, and my phone message said I was away on vacation. That cost me almost $150 in charges between his cc company, my bank and pay pal, and to make it worse, at the time he was assistant attorney general of my home state of NY. I had another person do a chargeback after I shipped the item and sent them a tracking # . They live in Washington DC. So, yes thieves are everywhere. I will pm you my toll free # if you want help with this>>>Tom

eBay problem

Folks, I think it's pretty obvious why I don't want to give out the name and putative phone number of this guy. I could be breaking some law I'm unfamiliar with. I want to do this thing logically and I can understand you are all trying to help, but I've got to lay low on this and see what I have as options.
Incidentally, I did not have a fruitful discussion with the Paypal rep yesterday. I'm not a racist but the lady has a lack of familiarity with the English language and it was durn near impossible to understand what she was saying and what her inflections really meant. Personally, eBay leaves tons to be desired and so does Paypal. There's a lot of hard slugging between now and whenever I get some aid on this matter.
Thanks again, you folks have been tremendously helpful and considerate.

Mike

Ebay woes

Incidentally, the tracking number he gave me was for a package that weighed 4.3 pounds and was mailed from a UPS station about 30 miles away. The tracking number he gave me was traced back to this package, not my saw. Fishy?
I don't know how completely a person can commandeer a person's information, feedback ratings, eBay ads, etc. However, if this guy lived in the woods in a trailer I'd say he spent the long winter nites dreaming up schemes.
Does the guy's ex-honey have a part in this drama? I heard her in the background in my talk with her current squeeze and she said she dated the guy during ha school. The guy I talked to was very open, gave me his name which I corroborated with a reverse phone lookup. I doubt seriously if this lady is part of the gambit.

Mike

You're probably right, you've most likely been flimflammed. Don't jump the gun, though, as it'd be a bummer to be wrong on this. Wait a few weeks, put his name/address up here, and we'll all send him hate mail. Against the law? Who cares, do you think this cheesball will do anything but skulk back to the shadows? Have some fun with it and forget it. Life's too short to focus on scumbags.

Folks, I think it's pretty obvious why I don't want to give out the name and putative phone number of this guy. I could be breaking some law I'm unfamiliar with. I want to do this thing logically and I can understand you are all trying to help, but I've got to lay low on this and see what I have as options.
Incidentally, I did not have a fruitful discussion with the Paypal rep yesterday. I'm not a racist but the lady has a lack of familiarity with the English language and it was durn near impossible to understand what she was saying and what her inflections really meant. Personally, eBay leaves tons to be desired and so does Paypal. There's a lot of hard slugging between now and whenever I get some aid on this matter.
Thanks again, you folks have been tremendously helpful and considerate.

Mike

What is it that is so obvious? Ebay is a public domain and if you would just give us the item number straight off, which someone else already has now, we could have told you what we thought without all the intrigue. This is the second time I've seen this in a week when someone has a problem on ebay and then won't tell anyone who they are having a problem with. The last time was with GrandDog as the seller and not letting everyone know prevented him from answering the complaint which I'm sure he would have been happy to do. Oh and BTW, thinly veiled racism isn't really much different from regular racism.

What is it that is so obvious? Ebay is a public domain and if you would just give us the item number straight off, which someone else already has now, we could have told you what we thought without all the intrigue. This is the second time I've seen this in a week when someone has a problem on ebay and then won't tell anyone who they are having a problem with. The last time was with GrandDog as the seller and not letting everyone know prevented him from answering the complaint which I'm sure he would have been happy to do. Oh and BTW, thinly veiled racism isn't really much different from regular racism.

being ebay is the public forum it is...I did a little investigating. If the ebay link is correct for this post....the buyer in the last year has called 2 other ebayers liars and cheats. One even offered to give the buyer a refund. Maybe thats why the item # wasn't given, maybe not. All I know is its too early to tell if you've been hosed. I once inadvertently gave a customer the wrong tracking #. We are only human and all make mistakes. If the seller shipped your saw 5 days after the sale and used parcel post, you wont have the saw till sometime next week. Thats just how it is. Pay pal is little help , yes, thats true, but in their defense, what do you expect them to do 6 days after the sale?

Back