Jonsered 910 and 930 out for cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Spent some time this morning finishing up the work on 2 Jonsy saws.

The 930 Super didn't take much as it was pretty clean to begin with. Just a little wiping down, replaced the fuel and impulse lines, and filter, reassembled the wrap handle and spikes (thanks to thechainsawguy). A quick glance at the piston through the exhaust shows the piston to be near new. I bought this saw years ago, but never ran it and I still haven't.

The 910, I got off Ebay and it turned out to be nicer than stated. I ran the covers through the dishwasher, cleaned a ton of oily sawdust off, replaced the fuel/impulse/filter, and fixed a little wiring.

During this little project, I got real familiar with the differences between the 910 and 920/930. We all know from SawTroll that the 910 was the last pure Jonsered. Obviously, the handle system is different. I'm not sure that mounting the front and rear handles independently is such a smoking hot idea but it works. The 910 has a compression release, though mine is missing and blocked off. The coil for the 910 is part of the spark plug boot, while the 920/930 coil is mounted in the carb box (either way is unusual but I wonder how interchangeable the 2 systems are?). The recoil on the 910 is metal, the 920/930 is plastic. Strangely, the rear handle on the 910 is plastic and the 920/930 is metal. Seems like a step backwards, but the 910 handle doesn't feel very sturdy. The air filter on the 910/920 is the flat style, single-bolt, impossible to find POS. With the 930, you have more options--a 288 Husky filter will fit, but you cannot reinstall the cover. I believe a 670 Jons filter will bolt right up and will find out soon. Mufflers are all more or less the same and will interchange I think. The top covers are different due to changes in the air filter and cylinder. The 910 has no chainbrake though it was clearly an option for this saw.

As a side note, the mount locations of the 910 wrap handle make mounting a chain a bit tricker than the 930.

Take care, Chris B.

Last edited:
Let me try again...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When I originally posted, the preview worked fine and the attachments uploaded to my User CP. For some reason, it's not there anymore.

Here's another view from the rear....

attachment.php

My 920 has a metal recoil also.

That Super 930 is a real keeper, its the saw I was looking for when I bought my 920. Nice saws, love them JohnnyReds

I have a 1982 920 and the recoil is metal, so they must have changed this in subsequent years. My serial number is #1983. Good post.

I hope to acquire a 910 in the near future. I am looking forward to the comparison.

The recoil did change from metal to plastic at some point during the 920 model run. Odd thing is that from the examples I've played with, they don't interchange with one another. Something to do with the starter dogs/pulleys, not exactly sure but it's something to be aware of.

The recoil did change from metal to plastic at some point during the 920 model run. Odd thing is that from the examples I've played with, they don't interchange with one another. Something to do with the starter dogs/pulleys, not exactly sure but it's something to be aware of.

Interesting about the recoil not fitting. I will check my extras. I just found out that there are two types of pawls, so it probably has less to with the plastic/metal than the pawl style.

I had a later model 920 and it was plastic. They must have changed to lighten the saw up a bit??

I checked my 2 920s and they are indeed plastic recoils. If I get time tomorrow, I'll compare the 2 styles and figure out the difference. In the meanwhile, I have plans for the 930.

Does anybody have a 910EV ipl?

Chris B.

Hey, awfully nice full-wrap bars! Those are mighty hard to find. Since we're having a Jonsy 900 series party, I thought I'd throw up a pic of the Jonsy borthers living in my shed. The one on the left is one I mill with, the one on the right is so nice, I just kinda shine it up once in a while. Both are 910s.

attachment.php

910/920/930

I have a 910 and a 930, got a good brake band for the 930 from George Blake to go with a cover and handle from thechainsawguy. Also got a 920 cover with brake band (not a very good design) that fits over the handle on the 910.

IPL for all should be available from Rod Simonian's sight.

Mark

I guess we can't just have one, we gotta buy 2.... Do I need to put up pics of my 920s?

Anyhoo, I had the 930 out for about 10 minutes today before the single-digit temperatures and wind got the better of me. Helping my friend quarter some big rounds so he could split them. Hopefully the weather will improve on my next day off. I got the 930 full wrap from thechainsawguy. Good rubber, just needed a little tweaking.

What's this Rod Simonian's site that I can download from?

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back