Another Ethanol thread - Washington State

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H 2 H

FLASHER
Reaction score
As of today a new law that states ALL fuel most have Ethanol in it

Went out cutting this morning ran out of fuel went to 4 stations that had Non Ethanol last week and there were signs on the pumps that read Ethanol 10%

I called a friend that works at a refinery at Cherry Point and he talked about it and it came from Olympia

As of today a new law that states ALL fuel most have Ethanol in it

Went out cutting this morning ran out of fuel went to 4 stations that had Non Ethanol last week and there were signs on the pumps that read Ethanol 10%

I called a friend that works at a refinery at Cherry Point and he talked about it and it came from Olympia

Great..... I had 3 stations close by that had non e-10... I guess I'll have to jump over to Idaho now for my fuel

another ethanol thread.

Wow. It just keeps gettin tougher out here. H 2 H are you in or around whatcom county?

I did all the searching I could on the interwebs, and couldn't find a thing about this.....I'll go check out my local e-10 free station and see.

I did all the searching I could on the interwebs, and couldn't find a thing about this.....I'll go check out my local e-10 free station and see.

I couldn't find it either when I got home

But I found it at the stations I went to this morning

Everything I found said that the mandate was for 2.5% required, but premium could be exempt because of the lower grades being 10%... however... it said 10% could be required in all grades later... More research needed for sure..

Somewhat related... I guess all diesel in the state is minimum 2% biodiesel as well from same mandate..

Non-ethanol fuel

Go to pure-gas.org

You will find a list of stations across the country that carry non-ethanol fuel.
Click on Wa for your state & see what you turn up. Things may have changed since this list was posted.
Good luck!! I sometimes drive 70mi one way to get unadulterated fuel for my saws.
I'm going to end this post before I say something about the EPA, "Employment Prevention Agency", which might get me banned!

For any Washington State posters that live close to a border crossing, do know that in BC, Ethanol free high octane is easily obtainable. Chevron and Shell are two that come to mind as guaranteed.

Might be more hassle than it's worth, but it is one option.

Today I went to the two stations in Stanwood the two in Mt Vernon and the one in Burlington (farm store) and the pumps all had stickers that said "Ethanol 10%" on the premium pump these are the stations I knew that had non-E fuel last month

I have now ordered a 5 gallon pal of VP Fuel from the race track (please don't ask the price) it is cheaper than buying those small cans of premix fuel you see at the big box stores

Feel

Feel sorry for you folks in the Evergreen state, seems like politicians on the west side are doing you in. As for going to Canada for fuel it might be a good idea their fuel is better, I run up every so often and fill up my pickup and slip tank. Their diesel still has the "good stuff" in it, sure builds more power. Best of luck finding suitable fuel.

Ouch

Sorry to hear about that for sure. I am just over the line in Idaho and we have 2 or 3 stations close by with non-eth. There is also a small town, population under 1000, north of me about 25 miles with non-eth.

I know that ethanol wreaks havoc on rubber parts and has corrosive properties if not used correctly. But if one could upgrade the carb to accept e-85 why not? E-85 is equal to 110 octane gasoline i.e. more power potential, mixed with castor oil this could have some potential. anyone?

H2H I get down that way quite often. I am in whatcom county. I buy a lot of saws from that area.

Wisconsin's been on 10% ethanol for a few yrs now. The Shell stations sell 92 octane that is ethanol free! That's all I ever buy. Kwik trip sometimes has it too

H2H I get down that way quite often. I am in whatcom county. I buy a lot of saws from that area.

Sweet; I think I bought a dozen saws in Skagit County last year (I should have said up river) I was raised in MV

I'm in Deming area alot; heck I was up there last week and help drop one of the biggest Alder I've seen in a long time but with the weather we been having I haven't been back up there to finish the job. This weather were having is something else

I know that ethanol wreaks havoc on rubber parts and has corrosive properties if not used correctly. But if one could upgrade the carb to accept e-85 why not? E-85 is equal to 110 octane gasoline i.e. more power potential, mixed with castor oil this could have some potential. anyone?

Its not just an octane issue ........... it is volume.
For the sake of the discussion, it takes about two times the volume of alcahol as it would gasoline to maintain a correct stoichometric mixture, so even if your octane jumps up 30 points, you are still gunna run lean

Octane is not related to power. Octane has to do with resistance to being ignited by heat and pressure. BTU is the measure of heat content-- power. Alcohol has much lower BTU per gallon than does gasoline, thus it takes considerably more alcohol to produce one horsepower than it requires for gasoline to do so.

Back