Another firewood saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll use the same logic you did with the 390 to 361 as the 310/290 to 390. For around a 100 dollars cheaper you can have a saw a little less powerful like what .3 hp (310) that is the same machine. It will sling a 20" bar all day. "Some folks will tell you it depends on the size of the wood, and normally it would, but the three saws in question are the exact same saw, with the exact same weight (within a few ounce's) so buying the smaller cc saw will get you nothing but less performance and a cheaper price tag."

So why buy the 390 again when it is so clse to price of the better 361? At least that was my logic when buying the 310, I think the 310 was 40 more than the 290, that seemed okay, but a hundred more for .3 hp. nahh can't see it, until it blows up and then I can buy the 390 p&c.

And by the way (to everyone) what is the life expectancy of these non pro firewood saws, you all make it sound as if it will only last a couple years.

That was my point when I made that post. You went looking for a 400.00 saw and for you the jump 440.00 was acceptable. You apparently weren't ready to make the jump to 500.00, so you got the MS310, and I'm sure 600.00 for a 361 was completely out of the question.

Same thing for this case, and that was the point of my post in response to someone suggesting that he should get a MS361. You might be able to up sell him a little but everybody has a point where the cost is just not worth it to them and they will just settle for the cheaper one even though they understand it's not the best tool for the job.

The original poster included the 290, 310, and 390 as his choices and was asking for recommendations. Of the three options listed you can run right down the line;

MS390 best hp to weight ratio = most work done for the weight carried
MS310 less hp to weight ratio = somewhere in the middle
MS290 worst hp to weight ratio = least work for the weight carried

every other thing about these saw is the exact same. So like I said if he can afford the price the 390 is best choice, if not run down the list until you find his price. :cheers:

That was my point when I made that post. You went looking for a 400.00 saw and for you the jump 440.00 was acceptable. You apparently weren't ready to make the jump to 500.00, so you got the MS310, and I'm sure 600.00 for a 361 was completely out of the question.

Same thing for this case, and that was the point of my post in response to someone suggesting that he should get a MS361. You might be able to up sell him a little but everybody has a point where the cost is just not worth it to them and they will just settle for the cheaper one even though they understand it's not the best tool for the job.

The original poster included the 290, 310, and 390 as his choices and was asking for recommendations. Of the three options listed you can run right down the line;

MS390 best hp to weight ratio = most work done for the weight carried
MS310 less hp to weight ratio = somewhere in the middle
MS290 worst hp to weight ratio = least work for the weight carried

every other thing about these saw is the exact same. So like I said if he can afford the price the 390 is best choice, if not run down the list until you find his price. :cheers:

I see, I see haha! Actually I paid 380.00 for my 310 at the time, I would have bought the 390 instead but it was a 100.00 more I believe. And yes you are right I didn't want to spend more than 4 bills on a saw. But all the sudden lately I'm in the mood to spend 770.00 on one!!! I understood what you are saying for sure. I just thought if I was going to spend the money to get the 390 I'd might as well go and drop another 100 and get the 361, I hate saying that.:cheers:

.3 hp wasn't worth the extra 100.00 to me. I think stihl should make the 290 and 390 or 310 and 390, not all three.

I see, I see haha! Actually I paid 380.00 for my 310 at the time, I would have bought the 390 instead but it was a 100.00 more I believe. And yes you are right I didn't want to spend more than 4 bills on a saw. But all the sudden lately I'm in the mood to spend 770.00 on one!!! I understood what you are saying for sure. I just thought if I was going to spend the money to get the 390 I'd might as well go and drop another 100 and get the 361, I hate saying that.:cheers:

.3 hp wasn't worth the extra 100.00 to me. I think stihl should make the 290 and 390 or 310 and 390, not all three.

I agree IMO they should build the 192, 180, 250 (sold at the 230 price) and the 390 (sold at the 310 price point) as the homeowner line and let the rest be, but like any good company they have to give the customer what they want..... or at least what they think they want and if they make an extra hundred on the bigger 390 then hey win/win, right. :dizzy:

IMO Stihls "pro" line should be 201, 261, ,361, 461, 661, 861 (yep I hate they changed to the 8, damit it ought to be a 6 like the rest :laugh:) Provided they don't fat'n up the new "1"'s like they did the 441.:chainsaw:

I think we will soon see the day Stihl finally drops the 044/440/441 from the line, I think thats why it gained weight. Who would by it if the MS461 comes out at the same weight with say 6.1 or 6.2hp.

I actually would like to see a 7 poundish 40cc saw added to the “pro” line-up to, a 161 maybe. :D

I felt the same way when it was time to buy my saw. If I was going to go over budget and get the 390, I might as well have just gone with the 361. For the amount of use, I'm really happy that I went with with the 310. Best bang for your buck, IMO. I also got mine for $380 out the door, with 20" and a few extra goodies.

As far as how long these models will hold up, that depends on the use. I'm pretty sure that's the point of homeowner grade vs. pro grade. :monkey:

Instead of worrying about power to wieght ratios all the time, might it sometimes be important to worry about the power to money ratio?

Problem solved....I talked to my wife's uncle last evening.....he told me he's buying a 359 Husky this A.M.Thanks for all your input.Now I'll just have to tweak his new E-tech saw.:buttkick:

IMO Stihls "pro" line should be 201, 261, ,361, 461, 661, 861 (yep I hate they changed to the 8, damit it ought to be a 6 like the rest :laugh:) Provided they don't fat'n up the new "1"'s like they did the 441.:chainsaw: ....

You forgot the 882....:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Oh crap!He came back from the dealer with an MS361...:dizzy: Oh well,I see a face-off with my 357xp in the very near future.$629 for the 361... good price around here.

Oh crap!He came back from the dealer with an MS361...:dizzy: Oh well,I see a face-off with my 357xp in the very near future.$629 for the 361... good price around here.

Oh no, not another one!

That's a smoking deal for a 361. Up here in Labrador it's closer to $800 for the same saw.

Oh no, not another one!

Up here in Labrador it's closer to $800 for the same saw.
Yeah,last time I looked at a 361 it was $749.......Stihl has some kind of spring sale on here....I guess they can't sell'em @ msrp:yoyo: :popcorn: :popcorn:

While I think my 361 is the greatest saw ever made,theres no way Id pay $749 for one.I can buy a new 460 for $769 here.Bought my 361 with QCA and 18" bar and chain for $609.Coulda bought it with 16" b/c and regular chain tensioner for $589.

Back