Another freebie firewood rant - Drama!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So a few weeks back we had some big winds here and a tree near my house blew down. Big, half dead Norway maple that sits on a property line between two houses. One side is a foreclosed house, the other place is a rental that the landlord is renovating. Landlord gives me permission to remove anything I want on his side, after all I am cleaning up a big mess for him for free and he is getting a nice big insurance check because the tree damaged his roof.

So I go over with the Poulan 330, Super XL and Fiskars axe and start working. Thats when the drama starts.

Apparently the guy who owns this place has some real anger issues. He is up there working on it with his family helping him and the whole time I hear him screaming at the top of his lungs at his wife over stupid, trivial crap. Not just once but for like half an hour straight. I just try to ignore it and keep working. A few minutes later I hear him scream again and then see his teenage daughter come running out of the house bawling her eyes out. At this point I really wanted to say something, but it was none of my business, I was there to do my job. So I try my bet to ignore it and keep working.

Then I see his wife come storming out of the house with him behind screaming at her. She goes away someplace and he walks over to where I am working all pissed off. He yells at me something like "Why aern't you done yet? I want these branches out of here NOW! Hurry up!" and he starts getting in my face.

I calmly set my axe down and told him, "Sir, it would be a good idea to not scream at the 250 pound dude with an axe in his hand." He screams at me to get off his property or he will forcibly remove me. I was like fine, take a swing, throw the first punch, how far do you want to take this. So I grab my gear and tell him to have fun cleaning up the rest of the mess I had left. I took my gear back home and came back later that evening after he had left and got the wood I had cut and split. I guess you can't win them all. Half of that tree is still standing and I can't imagine it's going to be there too much longer, and when it falls it won't be pretty. Looks like he gets to find soneone else to help him out.

Can't win 'em all.

He's the landlord of the rental place that had given you permission? Sounds like a stroke waiting too happen candidate. Yep, you can't please everyone but most of the time you'll find people are really pretty good. You did right by just walking off. I might have added too "call me when you grow into an adult" :)

He's the landlord of the rental place that had given you permission? Sounds like a stroke waiting too happen candidate. Yep, you can't please everyone but most of the time you'll find people are really pretty good.

Yeah, he told me to take whatever I wanted, and then flipped out like that. I think he gets so pissed he doesn't think rationally. I didn't do anything that should have pissed him off, he just blew up at me, so I left.

I used to install satellite dishes and ran into a guy like this once, he was ok to me but flipped on his wife. They were going at it so bad that I waited for a lull in the action to come up out of the basement. I could not believe they acted like that with me in the house. Afterwards they tried to blame me for damaging their tv, had other installers in to verify my work and they said I did nothing wrong.

Similar story to Blakey's...Some time back, while I still had my plbg/HVAC business, I went over to a customer's house to quote a new bathroom in the basement. There were existing drain stubs thru the floor for the toilet, sink, tub/shower, and there were 3 different ways to lay it out. Husband/wifey get into a hard-core shouting match about which layout to do. I gracefully exited, said I would call backin a day or two...after that they were fine, but tensions remained, did the job, got paid, moved on...that is the way of it!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! My neighbors are the same way.Both have a temper, and even though they live some distance away we can hear them raising cain at each other.Personally I couldnt live with someone like that.
If it makes you feel any better, think how ticked he is going to be when he has to write out a check to the next guy to clean up what is left of the tree.
Maybe that will jerk a knot in his tail.

Ill bet he lets you back to get the rest once he calms down. :clap:

I kind of don't want it. I want to leave it there to spite him so he has to deal with it. If I had a way to glue the tree back together I would. Maybe have a heli drop a nice big 30" American elm log in his backyard. Have fun with your WildThing!

There isn't any way you could get me to go back to that place. Why reward the guy for his bad behavior.....let him find someone else to do it! Hopefully he will have to pay someone.

Exactly. When I am working on someones property I do my best to comply with their wishes, but his outburst was completely uncalled for.

I cant do it...

My sister and her husband will have loud screaming matches anywhere,anytime.Drives me nuts.

If he comes back, tell him that'll be $50 for what you already did and $100 for finishing the job, payment due up front of course. If he says no, then tell him to get the F-bomb off your property.

Ian

If he comes back, tell him that'll be $50 for what you already did and $100 for finishing the job, payment due up front of course. If he says no, then tell him to get the F-bomb off your property.

Ian

Haha, sounds like a good plan to me. I was even going to drop the other leader of the problem tree into his sidelot for only a few bucks, but not now. Let that MoFo rot and land on his house or car.

Back