Another New Member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log Splitter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been lurking on ArboristSite.com for a couple of years and wanted to register so I could post a big thank you to all the knowledgeable members here. Before I found this site, I thought one chainsaw was about as good as another, had never heard of PPE, and did not understand good tree felling techniques.

I use my saws to cut firewood and to keep the roads clear on my timber farm in Louisiana. I cut between 6-8 face cords of hickory per year which I burn either at home in Texas or over at my camp in Louisiana. I choose hickory because it burns hot, leaves good coals overnight, and does not feed the deer. :)

I've been through numerous Poulan saws (and one Mac 610) over the years. Once one quit, I'd head to the discount store and buy another just like it. I use a 50 cc saw for felling and bucking, and a 30 cc saw for limbing. The last two Poulans were a 3450 (no chain brake!) and a 2055. I had decided, after lurking on this site, to replace them with a MS361 and a MS200 (rear handle).

However, the more I thought about it, the more it became clear that most of my time was spent splitting wood, not cutting it. So, when BOTH my old saws bit the dust this fall, I changed my mind and decided to save some $$$ and buy a MS270 and a MS180. The extra money went for PPE, spare chains, files, new plastic wedges, etc.

I could not be more pleased with the two saws. The comparison to the Pull-ons is unbelievable. Both of them are easy to start, idle perfectly, and cut with good power. The most interesting thing to me is that the engine displacement between them and the old saws is about the same, but both cut with more power than the saws they replaced. Also, the antivibe on the MS270 is great, after cutting with it for a couple of hours I'm not as tired and my hands are not numb like before.

The only negative I have about these two saws is the MS180 does not have low and high speed carb adjustments. It is a little slow to rev up, and it would seem to me that if I could richen up the low speed a bit I could improve the performance some.

Anyway, I doubt I'll ever become a MVP member, I just don't have the experience to give much advice. But I did want to post here and thank y'all (I'm from the South :) ) for all the help I've received from you here. Attached are a couple of pictures of my latest firewood project, a 22" hickory thats ready to season up for next years firewood. The new saws are on the round in front, the tractor is a Kubota L2250 4WD, and the log splitter is homemade.

Y'all be safe!

Welcome here! :D :D

Your first post was a very good one, but you should have stayed with the original plan, MS361 + MS200......:laugh: :laugh:

Even if you don't feel like answering question at the moment, you could stay here and ask questions - and take part in some of the fun....

.....sooner or later you will know enough to start answering some also.

Welcome to the site! ms 270 huh? We haven't heard a whole lot about them here, why don't you tell us how it feels, handles, cuts? What chain you are running on it, ect!
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Welcome to the site! ms 270 huh? We haven't heard a whole lot about them here, why don't you tell us how it feels, handles, cuts? What chain you are running on it, ect!
-Ralph

He said that the anti-vibe on the 270 is nice, and that is true as far as I know......even though some say it is too soft with longer bars - but these don't really belong on that saw anyway imo.

SawTroll said:
He said that the anti-vibe on the 270 is nice, and that is true as far as I know......even though some say it is too soft with longer bars - but these don't really belong on that saw anyway imo.
Right, but we hear alot about the 260 and a fair amount about the 280, but feedback on the 270 is largely silent. you never know, it maybe a diamond in the rough, or at least a real good dependable firewood saw.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Right, but we hear alot about the 260 and a fair amount about the 280, but feedback on the 270 is largely silent. .... or at least a real good dependable firewood saw.
-Ralph

I believe that is exactly what it is, not a diamond, but a real good dependable firewood saw....

....but it has the weight of the 280, without the power.

Welcome aboard! Excellent post and nice pics, too!

Congratulations on your saw purchases. I think that you made a wise choice - the key is to match your needs with to the equipment you use and it seems like you did that AND saved enough money to buy the necessary safety gear and accessories. Well done.

Happy cutting!!

SawTroll said:
I believe that is exactly what it is, not a diamond, but a real good dependable firewood saw....

....but it has the weight of the 280, without the power.

Geez, you can't just be happy for a guy who just bought a new saw he likes, can you? What a jerk! :biggrinbounce2:

Ralph does raise a good point, the 270 is the silent one of the 260-270-280 club. I don't recall hearing anything bad about it, though. But like I said in the 6401 post a few days ago, what really matters to most guys is that the saw gets up and cuts when asked, and everything tends to suggest that the 270 does that.

Refreshing my memory, the 270 is plastic-cased and horizontally-split, right? How does it compare, internally, to saws like the 290?

Welcome aboard. The saws you purchased are good for what you are doing and your 270 will last you a long time. It is a very underestimated saw that is often overlooked. We use them to clear cedar and have not had any problems out of them going on two years. Don't worry about posting on here as long as you are reasonable the guys and saw witch will treat you right.

computeruser said:
Refreshing my memory, the 270 is plastic-cased and horizontally-split, right? How does it compare, internally, to saws like the 290?
As far as I know, the 270 and 280 are far better constructed saws than the 290 (and the 250).

The case is magnesium, but it is not vertically split as the real pro saws...

SawTroll said:
As far as I know, the 270 and 280 are far better constructed saws than the 290 (and the 250).

The case is magnesium, but it is not vertically split as the real pro saws...

That sounds familiar, now that you mention it. I thought that there was magnesium in there somewhere, but the horizontally split case made me think it must be a plastic saw.

Let's see...better construction, better AV, more or less the same effective power output, less weight, smaller chassis, same price. Why is it that people keep on buyin' the 290 instead?

Maybe I'll try to find a 270 or 280 to try out, since I've got tons of time on the 290 and a strong running 026. It would make an interesting comparison...

The conversation with the dealer was comparing the 290 to both the 270 and the 280. I then decided there were some advantages to either the 270 or 280, but I can't remember what they were. He made a sweet deal on the 270, so that's the one I bought. BTW, I got it with an 18 inch bar, not the regular 16.

I used the RM2 chain that came on it with the first tank of gas, and the saw did seem to bog a bit with the bar buried. When I stopped the saw to add fuel, I switched over to one of the RS chains that I got with the saw. There was a noticeable improvement running the RS, and the saw keeps getting stronger and stronger as I get more hours on it. I'll be cutting some more firewood around New Years, and the saw will be completely broken in at that time. I'll post my thoughts about it then if y'all are interested.

Keep in mind that given what I'm used to running the difference is night and day. So despite the fact I'm real happy with the 270 some of you pros might consider it underpowered for my application. Like I said, most of my time is spent splitting not cutting. The cutting part is fun, so why hurry so much? :)

Log Splitter said:
Like I said, most of my time is spent splitting not cutting. The cutting part is fun, so why hurry so much? :)

Very fair comment.
Good posts for a starter. :cheers:

Nice tractor you have there. I have an older Kubota 7001, but no loader :cry: :cry:

kAnother Welcome and :cheers:

I had a chance to run an almost new ms270 a couple of weeks ago, 20" bar with saftey chain for a group I volunteer for. Nice little machine, good anti-vibe, good power band for its size, and enough clearence between the handle and brake for us big mitted ones. It ran flawlessly for the day bucking up some fairly large pines (14-24" diam) and my only complaint was the short bar, all the logs were on the ground and my back paid the price the next day. Over-all it appears to be very well built and solid, not overly fond of the tool-less caps (the chain sucked too), but what the heck, it was still a pleasure to run. This saw only has around 50hrs on it so is just reaching its potential imo.

Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy your saws. It sounds like you made the best choice for your needs and the smartest. Great post.

Log Splitter said:
... I'll be cutting some more firewood around New Years, and the saw will be completely broken in at that time. I'll post my thoughts about it then if y'all are interested.

That's the spirit!:blob2: :blob2:

Btw, there is aat least one member here who use the 270 extensively, and he like it better than the 260 - Pinus, I believe......

Latest posts

Back