Another obsolete skidder added to my collection of no longer made machines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticweld

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a 170 franklin skidder the other day, joining the ranks with my 240 timberjack 664 clark and a td8 dresser dozer. all of which are no longer supported by dealers who still go by the name they were originally sold by. It did not really strike me as odd until it was brought up by my wife who is responsible for the books and when I came home and told her I had purchased another machine her only question was it; either a clark or timberjack. Getting parts always seems to be a challenge at the same time it has almost become standard to realize when something breaks you just don't call the dealer and more and order the parts. I figure I must not be the only guy here running this kind of equipment; while it would be great to own newer stuff I go for the affordable older stuff. Not sure if there has ever been a study of cost effectiveness per dollar spent on equipment, old verses new verses, older but can afford a spare one philosophy

I see you are in Montour Falls NY if Booneville is close to you you can call CJ logging supply. they sell parts for timber jacks and tigercat Their number is (315)942-3662. Give them a call they might even be able to get parts for the franklin.

cost effectiveness per dollar spent on equipment, old verses new verses

As the 'proud owner' of a couple of old JD440C s (one loader, one blade), a D2 cat, Ford 4500 backhoe, and 853 bobcat can state: pretty sure it would not be cost effective for a pro -- only for a DIY who has a machine shop, fairly complete welding setup, a place to work on the stuff out of the weather AND who enjoys working on the stuff.

example - D2 broke rod in the pony engine - crank end from old IH engine, wrist pin from L16 Datsun engine, cut, weld, machne bearing, good as new about 20 hours later. Like said, gotta enjoy doing that stuff (and know how), maybe would not pay day wages if you have a good hourly rate.

Well, maybe if interest rates get high again. Say a low hours JD450 for camparison, about $30K or so? At 5% return on capital (market or your business), that newer 450 is costing you $1500 a year in depreciation or lost investment income, say $1000 lost factoring in taxes.

If you ONLY have 1 major break (e.g 20 hours) failure a year (implies you are expert at maintenance and 'hearing' when something is getting ready to be a problem) then as your own repairman you are working for, factoring in taxes that you do not pay, about 1000/20 times 1.3 tac factor = $65/hour.

Compare that to your income net for the same hours after taxes. Varies hugely if infaltion takes off or if deflation ever happens.

Running old junk is very cost effective for us retired old farts <G> PS: did NOT factor in the cost of tools and barn, etc, us retired 'old farts' have that suff anyway, eh??

I think 2nd gear in my td8 is starting to slip but I just go easy on it and pay attention to the trans oil regularly. I like the older equipment anyway as I have run alot of it and know it well. This new stuff is difficult to work on for me with the electronics now a days. I am looking to find myself a backup machine soon so I can be able to take one down and run the other.

Art at first I was going to say I am not an old fart then after doing the math I have to confess to 36 years of logging/turning wrenches. I do envy guys with newer stuff, I have always claimed that it was easier to make the repairs and needed and have a good maintenance program than make payments. I figured that if things slow down or go wrong it costs me nothing to park the stuff as I can't break it if it is not being used and I do remember real well when I got started that the payments had to be made whether the mill shut down or put me on quota or the weather was bad or I had slow stretch buying timber. Congrats on the fix on the D2 nothing like being creative; every logger should know a good machinist, or be one.

I did not really need the third machine but the price was right and it will just be a spare in case one of the other ones goes down or if I need a machine on a different lot

I see you are in Montour Falls NY if Booneville is close to you you can call CJ logging supply. they sell parts for timber jacks and tigercat Their number is (315)942-3662. Give them a call they might even be able to get parts for the franklin.

and then just go to extension 72 they know my name and credit card number out there I am still waiting for rear seal for the 240 which you would think would be a common thing to stock

try finding the loader conversion banjo bolt for a 1941 ford 9n... while its stuck between a stump and a hemlock log... 100yds from the nearest "road"

A pipe tap and an elbow from the hardware store a couple of fittings later, and 5 gallons of trans/hydro fluid, not to mention the whole week shot to Hel, and shes back to work...

Lucky for me I am a machinist 4-5 days a week.

and then just go to extension 72 they know my name and credit card number out there I am still waiting for rear seal for the 240 which you would think would be a common thing to stock

Lyons equipment/CJ logging has my credit card number too lol WHat kind of winch? eaton , gearmatic carco? My td8 has the gearmatic 19. it has been giving me some fits here and there I need a new clutch band for it .. the narrow one I think

the td 8 does not have a winch on it, I wish it did, the 240 has a eaton winch on it. I had winch problems last year and bought a used winch for 2600 for it, that was a big mistake, it as suppose to fit my machine it did not without switching a bunch of stuff around, by the time I fixed a few seals, new spring brake and a couple of bearings I had another grand in it. Mark out there said he would rebuild mine for around 5 grand I wish I had him do it, the one I have still needs new brake band and clutches are so-so in it. It seemed like a lot of money at the time but I am sure now I would have been money and time ahead to have just had them rebuild the old one, 2600 at the times seemed like to big a difference

The old duck Walt at the littlevalley branch is a good guy. He can fix most things on those old jacks in his sleep.

plasticweld, may as well buy this one. JD rep. tells me there not making it anymore. another obsolete skidder.

That machine looks to good to be in my stable, it does not even look tired, why I cant even see where someone had dropped a tree in on it. My guys would feel they were the only ones wearing their work boots to the wedding.

That machine looks to good to be in my stable, it does not even look tired, why I cant even see where someone had dropped a tree in on it. My guys would feel they were the only ones wearing their work boots to the wedding.

give my guys about a week, I'll look like yours.

kinda looks like my jobsite nothing wrong with old stuff a big logger once told me you can work for me when you go out of business well i'm still here he's all gone it my be junk to some but its paid for and makes me a living [664 clark 666clark s8 international 540 jd] but franklin don't look bad :msp_thumbup:

Plasticweld you should be ok with that rig, its a haul for you but Cochran Equipment in Southwest PA can hook you up with anything you need for that. whats she got for a powerplant? Detroit or Cummins I imagine, either way both serviceable. Your 240 looks good, you happy with it after your extensive overhaul?

it has a turbo 453, I wish it were a cummins but will live with it. The timberjack after spending a total of $44,000 with the purchase price is all squared away. after I got down with the build I figured it needed new tires to go with the new paint. I justified all of the money with the idea that I am a old guy and getting tired of jumping up and down off all of the skidders with auto trans, since finishing the jack I have since hired two guys who are almost half may age. I was never sure if spending the money was a good idea when I did it, but the machine has run pretty much trouble free since its make over

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/174561.htm Link to the make over

Last edited:
for what it's worth, my 170 is now old enough to go to the liquor store without adult supervision, ('92) nearly 17000 hours, I'm the second owner - there are resources for parts, takes some detective work, and contacts always help

That 648 is impressive. I need the next contract before I dig into a skidder. Thats also an impressive load of wood there too. I think I see a serco loader as far as I can tell. Post more pics! lol

Back