Another Oil Thread 🙄

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering it is $3.99 per bottle here at my distributor. I prefer whatever walmart sells
But have you used it? Other products such as grease, engine oil, and spray lubricants seem to perform better than some big name brands. Was just curious if anyone had actually tried and noticed any kind of difference.

But have you used it? Other products such as grease, engine oil, and spray lubricants seem to perform better than some big name brands. Was just curious if anyone had actually tried and noticed any kind of difference.
Yes i have used it and Schaeffers does have a quality grease line. But the 9000 2 cycle is $22 per quart here and i don't find the price attractive.
Try you some Echo or shindaiwa red armor oil.

Yes i have used it and Schaeffers does have a quality grease line. But the 9000 2 cycle is $22 per quart here and i don't find the price attractive.
I work at a waste water treatment plant, the grease and spray lubricants seem like the way to go for our electric motors and other equipment. But we have a bunch of Stihl products, road saws, chain saws, trimmers etc. We run Stihl silver bottle in everything here. Just wondered if it would be worth making the switch. Ps. I use red armor for my own stuff.

I work at a waste water treatment plant, the grease and spray lubricants seem like the way to go for our electric motors and other equipment. But we have a bunch of Stihl products, road saws, chain saws, trimmers etc. We run Stihl silver bottle in everything here. Just wondered if it would be worth making the switch. Ps. I use red armor for my own stuff.
stick with red armor.

You got that right baby.... Echo first, Shindaiwa second. I'll never deviate from my canned gas (Echo Red Armor 50-1) however because my saws get run infrequently but I do watch Menards and when bar oil is marked down there (was just on sale for $6.99 a gallon jug for their house brand and Forrester), I'll grab a few gallons while the wife shops for he LED yard lights I hate and run over with the lawnmower regularly.

Menards is my favorite store but a bit of a drive for us. Always friendly salespeople, they all know where everything is and will show you if need be. Prices are good, always have interesting things in the food freezers (we love the Hormel Pork chops but have to get there early to get any) and the 11% off is nice to but is really 4% off after the Lucas County absurd sales tax but I'll take the 4% over a wooden stick in the butt.... Other nearest store is Jackson, Michigan which or 50 miles from us, one way. My distrubutor is Shaeffer oil as well but I don't use any of it. They also carry Shell and that os what I use in all my equipment on 5-40 T6 and Rotella All weather hydraulic fluid in the gearboxes and it all comes in 55 gallon returnable drums which I fill with drain oil and the pick them up.

Ahhh... The oil wars... Hmmmm.. gonna grab a bucket of popcorn, and let the flames begin!

My only opinion is that some stuff cares, and some stuff just doesn't. When I met my girlfriend, about ten years ago, I watched in horror as she refueled her POS Homelite leaf blower.. She took a can of last year's gas, and dumped a half gallon of it into a one gallon jug. She then proceeded to grab a half full quart of regular engine oil, and upended it into the stale gas. Glug glug.. that was her mix ratio.. "Glug , glug, into a half gallon of stale gas. She gave the gas can a good shake, and then fueled the leaf blower. It started on the third pull, and ran just fine.

Since then, the POS Homelite has received nothing but Premium, Ethanol free gas, mixed properly with a Premium synthetic. Other than needing ( about 5 years ago), a hit of Seafoam to get rid of the " I won't run without half choke snotties", it's still basically bulletproof, at over 15 years old. It just doesn't care. New spark plug and blew out the air filter a couple of years ago.. Other than that ... zero maintenance. Really.. how much are you gonna invest in a $100.00 POS. Sadly, it just won't die.

On the other hand, I've got a Shindawa 802 back pack blower.. Give it Premium Ethanol free gas, with Premium synthetic oil, that's over 45 days old? Yeah, it'll start and run, but it's got to be fully warm before it runs right.

Anyone know why there's so much variation between equipment? I get it that when something is highly stressed ( HIGH OUTPUT), that it needs better everything, But, what is the underlying reason?

Latest posts

Back