Another Oil Thread 🙄

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe. But it is also possible that even a leaking air filter keeps the particle size really small, so maybe there is less damage. Removing a spark plug can let big particles get in. You can be sure I won't make that mistake again, and I will be looking carefully at the filter area of my MS500i, though I heard they fixed that problem. In any case, my 440 ran very badly and the cylinder wall scoring was quite visible.
Leaking fines into the cylinder does not result in scoring. The Ms361, MS360 and MS260 all leak fines like crazy and I've never had one scored. Same story with guys that run winter type mesh filters.
What you will notice is the intake side piston skirt gets polished, but other than that it doesn't seem to hurt them much.

Leaking fines into the cylinder does not result in scoring. The Ms361, MS360 and MS260 all leak fines like crazy and I've never had one scored. Same story with guys that run winter type mesh filters.
What you will notice is the intake side piston skirt gets polished, but other than that it doesn't seem to hurt them much.
I always thought after many hours it will wear more because of this,I have seen pistons on intake sides wear excessively when the filter was ripped ,mind you they ran it for 15 years like that.

Well then would a saw with a leaking air filter cause more wear, I think so.
Yeah, it would wear more, for sure. Whether that increased wear would be enough to be measurable is another question.

I doubt wood dust can score aluminum, unless it has an awful lot of silica in it. Or, if you took off the air filter and fed a saw a couple pounds of chips, I guess maybe some of it could turn to carbon, loading up in the ring grooves and causing problems that way...

I always thought after many hours it will wear more because of this,I have seen pistons on intake sides wear excessively when the filter was ripped ,mind you they ran it for 15 years like that.
No doubt it does, but that sort of wear isn't scoring in the traditional sense. It manifests as a polished look.
Even with dort bikes when they ingest send it shows up as verticle scratching, but looks different than scoring as in a lean condition.

Latest posts

Back