Another older 028 AV runs but dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and saw the post below regarding an older 028. A saw that I just acquired looks identical to the saw in the foreground of the photo posted by RDT at 4:44 PM yesterday in that post. It is a Stihl 028 AV Wood Boss with "Electronic Quickstop", s/n 215091XXX, which I was told by Stihl today was made in 1979 in W. Germany. This is my first Stihl and have a few questions. My other saws are: Jonsereds 049SP, Homelite 150AO and a new Husqvarna 339XP and I generally do my own maintenance and repair work.

Background: I acquired this saw last weekend from a neighbor who had it in his barn for several years and never used it. He had tried to start it for a small job and couldn't get it to start so I took one of my saws over to his place and did his cutting job for him. In thanks, he offered me this 028 if I wanted a broke saw. Would you turn that down?

I cleaned it up on Sunday and put fresh mixed fuel and bar oil in it and reset the low and hi speed jets to 1-1/4 turns and it started on second pull. It would run fine for about 30 seconds, revving up from idle quite well and running at hi speed at about 12000 rpm by my hand held tach. After running at hi speed for maybe 5-10 seconds and dropping back to idle, it would idle rough and then die. It would start again and idle rough but after resetting the low jet and idle stop a bit it idled fairly smoothly but then would die. It acted like it was starving for gas or maybe had an air leak.

I've since checked the fuel hose from the filter through the tank and up to the carb and it is fine and the filter is fine. Theres a second hose that goes through the air box that surrounds the carb/filter and goes to a nipple on the engine, which I believe may be an impulse hose. Looking down between the inside plate of the air box and the engine, I can see that this hose is cracked and partially separated at one of the accordion pleats. I would expect that if this is the impulse hose, this leak would cause the carb diaphram to operate weakly or not at all.

First question: Does my diagnosos sound right?
Second question: Does anybody have an IPL for this saw or know what the p/n is for this hose?
Third question: Are there any secret tricks to tearing this saw down to the point where I can get at the engine-side hose connection to replace the hose?
Fourth question: What would be a good compression reading for this engine?
Fifth question: Does anybody have any idea what "Electronic Quickstop" means?

In advance, I'd like to thank anybody that responds.
R/JimH

Yes

That would be a good start by replacing the craked impulse hose.

Thank you RDT. Any tricks to excavating to the point of being able to replace it? Looks like ther may be a rubber boot between the carb and engine intake. Do you generally replace all of the rubber stuff at one time when you have it apart?

Thanks again/Jim

Electronic stands for electronic ignition, no points.

Quickstop just refers to the chainbrake methinks

Thank you Huskyman... I was hoping it meant something simple like you suggest and not some "grand idea" for a new fangled, one-model year only kind of chain brake that will undoubtedly go bad and screw up an otherwise good saw and then is no longer available 30 yrs later.

Thanks again/Jim

Just check the rubber boot over well and make sure its not getting cracks or a tear in it .
I usually just loosen the handle from the crank case , and the rubber boot from carb and pull it apart enough to get the new impulse line on.
Some one might come along with an easier way though.

Question for RDT.....

RDT, I see that you have one of this version of 028's and was wondering if you have a Illustrated Parts List. I'd be happy to pay for a copy and shipping, if you do. Thanks/Jim

direct link for IPL, but I am not connecting to any link at acresinternet. see above too.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/5f352eae1aecdc9288256ba20048eb6b/$FILE/Stihl%20028AV.prn.pdf

holy crud there are a lot of 028s.

Last edited:
To RDT and Mechaniacal

Thank you for the link but as Mechaniacal suggested, it looks like a bad link. I'll contact the administrator to see if the link can be fixed. Thanks again for all of your help.

Latest posts

Back