Another Saw Comparison and questions about an HD Makita - CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can't keep CAD in check any longer - I need a new saw. Well I don't need a new saw I just want one!:hmm3grin2orange: So here's my quandry - Would I be better to get a new 372WPW orr a used 6401 and install a BB kit? In my current arsenol of runners I have a 34cc Mac (Cat), a 52cc Echo (CS520) and a 76cc Stihl (046 MAG). I cut mostly large pine & fir (36+ trunks) some small (up to 20") oaks but have been getting into some really BIG oaks (48"+) lately as well. Of course those are few and far between.

The 372 would kind of be the same saw as my 046 Mag although by mst accounts on here it's a little different, where the Makita BB would now be at least a bigger engine. I can get the Makita & BB Kit for about 1/2 the cost of the Husky so that's a major factor as well! I like the 046 Mag, but it is kind of heavy. I've held but not run a 372 which seemed similar in weight to my Stihl but have not held the Makita with anything bigger than the 18 or 20" bar.

As for questions on the HD saw, aside from the usual checks, what else should I look for? I plan on checking comp & pulling the muff, but what if anything else should I be looking for on a rental return saw?

Has anyone had success in haggling prices on these with HD before?

I plan on doing some porting and mild hot-rodding right off the bat on the Makita if I get it.

Opinions/advice gladly accepted!!

I've had a couple of ported 372's in the past and prefer the dolmars with the 84cc big bore better when using a long bar. I have two of them and they pull a 32" bar with authority. Of course I opened the transfers and ported them to match the 7900 port timing and a muffler modification. That makes them kits rock!
As for the HD saws, be careful and inspect the saw carefully. I bought one and it had a bar stud that someone had j-b welded into to the crankcase.

if you have an 046, a 7900 or BB is redundant. i would suggest you spend you money and replace that echo echo echo with a 346/261. i agree with brad on the 660 for the big stuff.

I'd take a new 372XPW 2 or 3 to 1 over a 6401BB. Sounds like you need a 660 if you're in 48" Oak.

Like I said the 48" oaks are few & far between. A 660 would be nice - know of any for sale in the 400 price range??

I suppose my CAD kind of got away from me - I could buy a new 372, but the price I'd ahve to pay at home would be large :msp_scared: so upon thinking this over I would like to keep the whole thing around $400 if possible.

The CS520 I have is a good saw - I MM'd it and have it tuned for the altitude and it cuts very nicely and with some authority. It's a good saw, it was FREE and its good for my son to use as well. Eventually I may give it to him outright at which time I'll be looking at a 346 or similar.

I know the 372 would be double what I'm now wanting to spend which is why I said above I could spend it but I'd have a hard time justifying it around the homestead.

The more I think about it the more I want more of a project saw that I can port and hot-rod without having to worry about throwing alot of $$ at it or risk blowing up my 046.

I have read alot about the 346's and would love to pick one up some day!

It sounds like you're having a hard time justifying the added price for the 372 so stick with the Makita and BB plan. They are a good setup. If I had a new Makita next to a new Husky I'd probably still take the Husky but when it's double the price it's a no brainer.
Another thing to remember with the Dolmars and Makitas is despite having the nuts to pull bars over 32" in length you may find the oiler is insufficient - just a thought if thinking of tackling big wood with longer bars.

You"ll be lucky to find a 372 project for that price range. People that have them think they're made of gold now a days.

Another thing to remember with the Dolmars and Makitas is despite having the nuts to pull bars over 32" in length you may find the oiler is insufficient - just a thought if thinking of tackling big wood with longer bars.

So is there a high output oiler or oiler mod for the DolKita's? That's the one thing I dislike about my 046 Mag is that the oiler output is insufficient for big wood. I have been looking at either doing the mod I found here on AS or just going whole hog and getting the high output oiler kit for it.

I bought a refurb Makita 6401 and installed a 79cc BB kit on it. I had a blast and now have a screaming beast of a saw. I am very happy with the build quality of the Makita. I was skeptical of Dolmars since I had never one. I shouldn't have been, as this is as nice as any Stihl or Husky that I have owned.

I guess I'll be the only yahoo here that says "buy the 6401 and leave it alone". it fits in nice with your lineup and if/when you manage to blow it up then you can spend the extra $ on the BB kit. I have the bb and just picked up a rented mule 6401 and forgot how much i loved that saw from the factory...

so to add some twist ...I see many of us upgrade from the 64cc to the 79cc or 84 bb kit...how many of us have actually HAD to? meaning you managed to blow it up and then upgraded. there must be a ton of perfectly good 64cc P/C around this site !!!! I'm thinking this is one tough SOB of a saw or nobody runs it day in day out...

So is there a high output oiler or oiler mod for the DolKita's? That's the one thing I dislike about my 046 Mag is that the oiler output is insufficient for big wood. I have been looking at either doing the mod I found here on AS or just going whole hog and getting the high output oiler kit for it.

The 7900 does not put out enough bar oil to suit me.

If there is a high output oiler kit, I would like to know about it.

I just got in a 2009 372XPW and it is an impressive saw.

I can see where you are coming from on the Makita with a BB. I would kind of like one of those myself.

I like the Dolmar idea. I'm waiting for my 7900 to get here. But, I believe someone posted a 395 in the classifieds ad here. You may want to take a look at it. If you want a big saw for really big wood it would take it all. I've seen a couple of these on craigslist as well recently.

I don't know why everyone is saying the dolmars don't oil the big bars well. All my dolmars oil better than any 372 I've owned. My dolmar saw will run one tank of fuel to about 3/4 tank of oil. All my 372's would never use more than a half a tank of oil to one tank of fuel. My Solo 694 wich is just a 9010 with a different paint job, slobbers oil off the bar.

So is there a high output oiler or oiler mod for the DolKita's?

I don't think so but am unsure if there are any mods you could do yourself to increase oil output. If there is I'd like to know about it :cheers:

I don't know why everyone is saying the dolmars don't oil the big bars well. All my dolmars oil better than any 372 I've owned. My dolmar saw will run one tank of fuel to about 3/4 tank of oil. All my 372's would never use more than a half a tank of oil to one tank of fuel. My Solo 694 wich is just a 9010 with a different paint job, slobbers oil off the bar.

What do you class as big bars? I have had 3 Makita/Dolmar 6400-7900's and all have failed to put out enough oil to sufficiently lubricate a bar over 32". In fact in dead hardwood where bars really get a good workout (and get very very hot) they are marginal even on a 32" bar. Even the Chinese Husky 365 copies I've got will pump out way more oil than a 7900 as long as the oiler is maxed out.
To be honest though if you need to run a bar over 32" the 7900 series is probably not the saw you should have been buying anyway.

Another thing too, the Dolmar 9010 or your Solo 694 is not the same oiler setup as the 6400-7900 model Dolmar/Makitas and the fuel tank to oil use ratio is not a good indicator of how much oil a saw puts out. The 9010/694 are meant to run long bars and are tough saws.

What do you class as big bars? I have had 3 Makita/Dolmar 6400-7900's and all have failed to put out enough oil to sufficiently lubricate a bar over 32". In fact in dead hardwood where bars really get a good workout (and get very very hot) they are marginal even on a 32" bar. Even the Chinese Husky 365 copies I've got will pump out way more oil than a 7900 as long as the oiler is maxed out.
To be honest though if you need to run a bar over 32" the 7900 series is probably not the saw you should have been buying anyway.

Another thing too, the Dolmar 9010 or your Solo 694 is not the same oiler setup as the 6400-7900 model Dolmar/Makitas and the fuel tank to oil use ratio is not a good indicator of how much oil a saw puts out. The 9010/694 are meant to run long bars and are tough saws.[/QUOTE]

Understood that the 9010 is a different saw and I was off track there. But I can run a 32" bar no problem with plenty of oil on my 7900 and 8400. I cut a lot of bigger cottonwood though and maybe that is the difference.

Understood that the 9010 is a different saw and I was off track there. But I can run a 32" bar no problem with plenty of oil on my 7900 and 8400. I cut a lot of bigger cottonwood though and maybe that is the difference.

I nearly bought a 9010 :D In softer woods I'm sure a 32" bar gets more than enough oil and I suppose I may have higher expectations than some people as to how much oil is enough. I've seized a couple of nose sprockets through a lack of oil and in hardwood with the oiler maxed out I've had nose sprockets on 32" GB Pro Tops way too hot for comfort on the 7900's after sustained cuts :cheers:

Back