another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
Not sure what it is and couldn't find anything based on bark pictures on google. Price was right (free), just curious as to what it is. Individual rings are almost a half inch wide so its a pretty fast grower. It's pretty stringy when it splits.

ATTACH]

Hackberry around here has those 'bumps/nodes' all over the bark, maybe I'm just not seeing it in the photo?

Congrats on the 'FREE' part regardless!

Scott B

I concur. Lots of ash and burns quick. It dries quick and produces decent quick heat, just not an allnighter.

Free is a good price for it. Works well at this time of year and in the early fall.

I concur. Lots of ash and burns quick. It dries quick and produces decent quick heat, just not an allnighter.

Free is a good price for it. Works well at this time of year and in the early fall.

Yup... Around here Hackberry gets the party started hot! A big piece of hedge on top makes it last! :rock:

I must have 6 or 7 in my yard. Here it grows slow, easy to split, seasons in about 1 yr, still pretty heavy after seasoned. The stuff I have I would rate better than silver maple/blackwalnut, cherry, most elms but below the oaks/hard maples/locusts. I like it.
Tough trees, havn't been able to kill any in the yard with poor soil conditions, lack of water or pouring a concrete slab around 70% of the base of one.

it's on the end of a row so it'll be easy to get to for a quick fire. Mike, this one practically came out of your back yard between A-town and emmaus. If your interested i have a job with some sycamore and silver maple coming up in a few weeks. It's in Emmaus, just waiting on a homeowner with a decision making disorder.

I saw a large 50' hackberry yesterday. Its bark had verticle lines from the base up to the 1st Y, then it became a typical hackberry. 1st one I'd ever noticed like that. :confused2:

I saw a large 50' hackberry yesterday. Its bark had verticle lines from the base up to the 1st Y, then it became a typical hackberry. 1st one I'd ever noticed like that. :confused2:

Hackbury can have different bark texture at times, most look like alligator Hyde lol. I hate climbing the splitting things and you always get scraped up after a climb in one! Not a great tree near the home but ok in the meadow out of valuables range. If properly pruned as a juvenile they can be ok near the home but they tend to grow weak attaching branches if left alone!

Hackbury can have different bark texture at times, most look like alligator Hyde lol. I hate climbing the splitting things and you always get scraped up after a climb in one! Not a great tree near the home but ok in the meadow out of valuables range. If properly pruned as a juvenile they can be ok near the home but they tend to grow weak attaching branches if left alone!

I've climbed a few big 'uns and they do tend to leave their mark.

Never heard of that,does it burn good? :msp_mellow:

:ices_rofl: Thanks for another one of those moments where I'm over here laughing at the computer and my GF turns her head to look at me and says, "Oh, is something funny on that chainsaw site, again?"

Back