Answer/pics to the "how much wood is this" thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as he maintains at least 18" from the soil to his house logs, and occasionally checking for mud tunnels on the masonry walls, he'll be fine. Termite shields added to the top of the foundation would have been nice, but he'll be OK.

I don't know about Northern AZ where SH lives, but here in SoCal we have drywood termites, which are different from the kind that live in wet soil in other parts of the country. If its close enough they can swarm from the woodpile to the house without leaving any visible trails. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've had a few of them in one of my houses before, so I've had some experience with them. I think just about any SoCal house on a canyon lot that hasn't had the brush removed will get them to some extent, they're pretty much everywhere around here.

What I'm wondering is will the cold winters where Hunky lives kill them, or do they just hide out for the winter. Since we don't get cold winters here I couldn't say.

I've been told that they cannot survive and do not live here due to the elevation (near 8000ft) and the very cold winters. I'm not sure if it's true, but I have never heard of any problems here or seen any.

Huncky Chunky Arizona Winter

I've been told that they cannot survive and do not live here due to the elevation (near 8000ft) and the very cold winters. I'm not sure if it's true, but I have never heard of any problems here or seen any.

Now I know we give you grief Msr S.H......you're a good sport, but deserve it all.:D :D . Can you spell HUBRIS ?

So now it's those "veeerrry cold winters".... :buttkick: ...in Arizona. Welllll, we've got a big bridge for sale...in Brooklyn.:ices_rofl:
It is all relative Msr SH, but have you checked mean temps and snow depth in say Duluth? Or Watertown, N.Y. ? Or Ft. Kent, Maine ?:taped:
Glad you finally got that Darwin pile 'o logs cut and stacked.

Now I know we give you grief Msr S.H......you're a good sport, but deserve it all.:D :D . Can you spell HUBRIS ?

So now it's those "veeerrry cold winters".... :buttkick: ...in Arizona. Welllll, we've got a big bridge for sale...in Brooklyn.:ices_rofl:
It is all relative Msr SH, but have you checked mean temps and snow depth in say Duluth? Or Watertown, N.Y. ? Or Ft. Kent, Maine ?:taped:

Without trying to be too sarcastic, may I suggest you research "annual heating degree days" online and compare Flagstaff to various other cities, the numbers might surprise you. And MSH is a bit higher in elevation than Flagstaff, making it a few degrees colder in general. I don't think MSH was trying to make any claims that he lived in unbearably cold conditions, just cold enough to keep termites from taking up residence in his home.

And BTW, Flagstaff's average annual snowfall is higher than Duluth's, although it might melt away quicker.

Butcher:

I know you think of most of Arizona as deathly hot; it is!!. However, we live in a very rare location on top of a mountain in the middle of the desert.

If you look at the USA today weather report for the day, or virtually any week in the summer months, "Bellemont" AZ (just a few miles away from us) is usually the coldest place in the country due to our elevation.

I agree that our winters are much more mild than many other places in the U.S. and we have sunshine most of the time. When it snows, we can easily get several feet often, however, it won't last long as it warms up quick and the sun shines a lot.

The lof home was built by Frontier log homes in Montrose colorado and then shipped here to be re-erected. We (Mrs Hunky and I) finished out the home from just a log shell.

Actually, almost all of the log ends on the home actually were trimmed a foot or two by using my trusty 021. The little Stihl also cut all the wood for all the railings. Now he has a bigger brother to hang out with (Dolmar 5100) and is happy to finally have a friend to play with.:greenchainsaw:

Without trying to be too sarcastic, may I suggest you research "annual heating degree days" online and compare Flagstaff to various other cities, the numbers might surprise you. And MSH is a bit higher in elevation than Flagstaff, making it a few degrees colder in general. I don't think MSH was trying to make any claims that he lived in unbearably cold conditions, just cold enough to keep termites from taking up residence in his home.

And BTW, Flagstaff's average annual snowfall is higher than Duluth's, although it might melt away quicker.

Hi cityboy:

Many people believe that we have a similar temp to Flagstaff and while thats partially true during the day, it's not uncommon for us to be 25* colder at night due to a remote location and quite a bit higher. We are on the side of a much higher mountain.

I have lived numerous places in the country, and the coldest winters I have endured were in Cleveland (shore of Lake Erie). Maybe it was worse because every night I loaded my airplane right at on the shoreline.. no trees buildings, or other protection. It was not only flippin' cold, but the wind could just scream.... add some lake effect snow and you've got some butt ugly weather. I'm certain you tree guys get called out during some of the worst weather, though.

Read this, posted by Al Smith.....

Lake Erie is part of a weather system all of it's own.It's often colder in it's proximity that Alaska.Those storm fronts may take a notion to circle the big lakes several times in a row dumping snow and freezing every thing in sight on each pass.There are few parts in the nation that can experiance temperature changes from 100 degrees to 20 below zero,in a season.

Flagstaff's claim to inclement weather comes from the fact that it's on a mountain. It is VERY unpredictable. The winter can come and go with whimper or you can get seriously hammered. The first year we were here we had a very impressive winter (at one point, the power in half of Flagstaff, including at my house) went out for 18 hours. Thats long enough to actually lose water also, as the well pumps were out and the cisterns went dry.

Mr. Super Hunky, apparently for security reasons, has not disclosed the exact location of his base of operations but based on the fact that he is in the Kaibab National Forest and has a fairly open lot with smallish trees, I would say the Super Hunky family is on the windward side of a 12,500 foot mountain and they have potential to see some pretty tough winters.:popcorn:

I fully expect that one of the these winters, the Giant phone will ring and I'll have to go unbury the Super Hunkys from their fortress of solitude. Better stay on my good side, Mr. Super Hunky, ya never know when hammer will fall! Looking at your driveway (which disappears into the distance and is unpaved) I recommend that you keep an extra store of water and food (and wood, of course) around.

Great place, though, I'd retire there!

Last edited:
I have lived numerous places in the country, and the coldest winters I have endured were in Cleveland (shore of Lake Erie). Maybe it was worse because every night I loaded my airplane right at on the shoreline.. no trees buildings, or other protection. It was not only flippin' cold, but the wind could just scream.... add some lake effect snow and you've got some butt ugly weather."

People can come up with many reasons why it is cold in Cleveland. The truth is much simpler, God hates Cleveland. He is not very fond of Cincinnati, Dayton or Toledo but He hates Cleveland. It reminds Him of Detroit.

Ha! That's hilarious! Part of my post-flight inspection was looking for bullet holes in the bottom of the airplane. The weather was yuck-o but driving to work through downtown Detroit made me forget about it. It was the only flying job I had where they authorized me to carry a weapon onboard!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back