Anthracnose and American Sycamore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chooj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

Does anyone know of any organic sprays and/or cultural practices that can help control anthracnose on young (6' high) Platanus occidentalis?

Thanks.
Chooj

Ignore it.
Our village forestry department planted one several years ago at the end of our driveway. It gets no attention. We ignore the anthracnose. Some years, and some times of each year, it is bad, but mostly it is a nice tree.
When they get bigger, you can inject them, but I don't know how organic the chemicals are.

Remove & burn fallen leaves in the fall...
Remove & burn dead branches...

As for organic control, there has been research into Neem oil. Also, Bordeuax mixture and lime-sulfur spray both work, although depending on the formulation you get, it may or may not be organic.

Thanks!

Thank you, everyone, for the tips.

Next spring, I'm going to try the baking soda spray on one tree and the neem oil on another and see what happens.

I would guess I only spray as new leaves are budding out - or do I spray at regular intervals as long as the trees are in leaf?

Thanks, again, for your help.

Chooj

Chooj, sorry I didn't get back to you on this. Start spraying in early spring at bud break and continue until leaves are fully expanded.

Newt

Bayou Tree, from what I'm reading the treatment for ball moss with baking soda is used at a rate of something like 40 pounds of baking soda per 100 gallons of water which translates to 2.5 pounds to a gallon, or 60 pounds of baking soda per 100 gallons which translates to 1.66 pounds per gallon. I've even seen either 1 cup or 1/2 cup to a gallon of water recommend.

For anthracnose the measurement is 1 tablespoon baking soda to a gallon of water.

Kocide 101 is also used for ball moss but it will damage foliage of peaches, plums, nectarines and apricots. It contains copper and can also stain brick, sidewalks, roofs and driveways.

Newt

Back