Anti-Vibration Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone who has had problems found a pair of these that helped? I'm going to order a pair, just wanted to hear from anyone that has actually needed and used them, and any thoughts on which work best.

Also, anyone found a pair that are made for winter use? I can't come up with anything there.

Thanks - Sam

Sam I got the ones baileys sells. I think the youngstown brand. They do help a little. They do have good wrist support also. I figured out it wasn't certain saws but just starting to get repetitive stress injuries in my wrist. Now that I've not been welding as much it's not bothered me much at all.

Great topic, wondered about gloves myself. I have broken both hands, my left being the newest break of maybe3-4 years ago. Get some numbness, and tingling from time to time, and not just from sawing. The worst is actually swinging a hammer or pounding on something.

Filing chains and tig welding all day seemed to be the worst on my hands and wrists.

I tried those anti-vibration gloves from Bailey's and they didn't work for me. They're kind of bulky and they cut the circulation off to
my hands while cutting. I gave 'em to a firefighter buddy. Golden grippers actually help some with vibration. Those were my dad's
favorites.

Great topic, wondered about gloves myself. I have broken both hands, my left being the newest break of maybe3-4 years ago. Get some numbness, and tingling from time to time, and not just from sawing. The worst is actually swinging a hammer or pounding on something.

I haven't ever broke anything, but I have the same problem also. Hammering is the worst for me also. Gets to where I have a hard time even holding onto the hammer after awhile. Comes and goes.

Jeff

These are the ones I use. They have double leather padding in the fingers/palm and plenty of velcro support straps at the wrist, not to mention they're cheap: Antivibration Gloves - X-Large

Only thing I do is hose em down w/WD40 every once in a while to help fight sweat and keep the leather soft

I use the Youngstown AV groves from Baileys when running my non-AV 090 and they work well for me. I can still feel the vibes when working the saw, but after I'm done and the gloves are off I can use my hands just fine and feel no after effects. Without them I was going to have to sell the saw as I couldn't use my hands much for a couple of days. When you can't work the zipper on your fly or use a pen, it ain't good. I have larger hands so those gloves don't seem bulky to me. In fact they are thinner than my leather driving gloves.

impacto gloves

I started a thread about 6 weeks ago about this issue. I'm was losing feeling in my fingers and nightime tingling in the hands which wakes me me up.I use inserts from impacto glove which fit inside of the ironside gloves I wear.They are limiting when don't quick hand changes like limbing softwood,but are otherwise a good solution for long bucking cuts.I'm bucking some huge hardwood and my hands are improving.If you search the thread some members had lots of good information.Gary

Most of the anti gloves that i've seen are bulky and uncomfortable. I use stihl timbersport gloves and the craftsman mechanic gloves with single layer palm. I like to feel I'm in full control of my saw the thinner the glove the better.

It is my experience after buying most every type of glove there is and using/testing them in logging as a cutter and with a cable skidder that these gloves are the best value if not the best glove period for logging and firewood related work, and unless some place new has shown up, the below link is the cheapest link for them.

Most men and larger woman will use the X-Large size and they will fit. My wife is 5' 9" and wears the x-Large same as the rest of the guys that are 5' 5" on up.

Hulk Anti-Vibration Gloves #9100950

Hulkster or Hulk Gloves and even Stihl recently last couple of years came out with some similar styled ones, but the cheapest I could get them for was $15ish.

No other gloves gives you the super human grip that these do when working with firewood, you can just palm a lot of big chunks with them one handed.
They are by far the best cable skidding and heavy machine operating gloves I have used.
They give a great grip on the saw and I can work the flippy caps or regular caps and sharpen chains all day without taking them off. They are cheap enough that if you loose them you won't cry, but they out perform $50 per pair gloves, and no leather glove can come close in performance.

That is my experience with them and they are the only glove that myself and the guys that work with me will use, provided its not about 20F or lower. After that we use the Cabela's 100 gram insulated DeerSkin gloves that have Goretex in them and are very tough and warm, but cost about $40, but have lasted through 2 winters.

Also, not sure what saws are being used by those with nerve damaged hands and wrists, but I can say, as someone who has broken my hands and wrists many times riding bulls and run chainsaws for long periods of time logging, I have some screwed up nerve damage in my hands and wrists and switching to the 441 has made the largest difference, more than anything. If I run a 660 for 4 hours, it produces more pain and issues then running a 441 for 10 hours per day for 3 weeks, same bar and chains, the moral of the story is if you have nerve damage and either don't like it or don't want to get it, the best bet is to get a saw with a quality steel spring'd AV system.

Sam

It is my experience after buying most every type of glove there is and using/testing them in logging as a cutter and with a cable skidder that these gloves are the best value if not the best glove period for logging and firewood related work, and unless some place new has shown up, the below link is the cheapest link for them.

Most men and larger woman will use the X-Large size and they will fit. My wife is 5' 9" and wears the x-Large same as the rest of the guys that are 5' 5" on up.

Hulk Anti-Vibration Gloves #9100950

Hulkster or Hulk Gloves and even Stihl recently last couple of years came out with some similar styled ones, but the cheapest I could get them for was $15ish.

No other gloves gives you the super human grip that these do when working with firewood, you can just palm a lot of big chunks with them one handed.
They are by far the best cable skidding and heavy machine operating gloves I have used.
They give a great grip on the saw and I can work the flippy caps or regular caps and sharpen chains all day without taking them off. They are cheap enough that if you loose them you won't cry, but they out perform $50 per pair gloves, and no leather glove can come close in performance.

That is my experience with them and they are the only glove that myself and the guys that work with me will use, provided its not about 20F or lower. After that we use the Cabela's 100 gram insulated DeerSkin gloves that have Goretex in them and are very tough and warm, but cost about $40, but have lasted through 2 winters.

Also, not sure what saws are being used by those with nerve damaged hands and wrists, but I can say, as someone who has broken my hands and wrists many times riding bulls and run chainsaws for long periods of time logging, I have some screwed up nerve damage in my hands and wrists and switching to the 441 has made the largest difference, more than anything. If I run a 660 for 4 hours, it produces more pain and issues then running a 441 for 10 hours per day for 3 weeks, same bar and chains, the moral of the story is if you have nerve damage and either don't like it or don't want to get it, the best bet is to get a saw with a quality steel spring'd AV system.

Sam
With all the talk about HP etc. You have a statement that makes sense. Maybe the best saw is the saw you can use all day and still do other things with your hands when finished. A 441M-C is in my future.

I tried those anti-vibration gloves from Bailey's and they didn't work for me. They're kind of bulky and they cut the circulation off to
my hands while cutting. I gave 'em to a firefighter buddy. Golden grippers actually help some with vibration. Those were my dad's
favorites.

Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll give the Golden grippers a shot first. Cheap and in most gas stations.......I'm guessing JJ's dad's saws produced a few more vibes than my Stihls.......

Here’s a tip that I found very helpful to me on my ATV handlebar grips which vibrate worse than the saw. I wear anti vibration mechanic's gloves and also wrapped the grips with 5mm thick closed cell neoprene wet suit material. I'm guessing that gel pad material might work well too.
I'm going to wrap the chainsaw grips with the neoprene as well.
It cuts the perceptible vibration way down.

Norm, Google Magnet Therapy for hand/wrist. I use the ones for the back. The wife wears one for carpal tunnel (nurse always writing reports). I can't live without the one for my back. Just ordered a new one $16 form Amazon.com. I like the Wells Lamont grey padded nylon like gloves for cold weather. Took me about 5 years trial and error to find them at Wally World $10.50. Very good and help with the cutting and splitting by hand.

Will do Bob, thanks buddy! I had a leg problem once, and the magnets worked can't explain it but they did. I was pulling green chain, and think I pulled a muscle. My old boss had the magnets and recomended them They worked! Jeff 76, yeah its weird I am no carpenter, and do not use a hammer much, but definatelly discomfort after, and vibration. I did undergroung culverts mostly for five years solid. Jack hammered a fair piece, and man that is something I would not wish on anybody day in, and out. Anti vibe, S#### all vibes!

Will do Bob, thanks buddy! I had a leg problem once, and the magnets worked can't explain it but they did. I was pulling green chain, and think I pulled a muscle. My old boss had the magnets and recomended them They worked! Jeff 76, yeah its weird I am no carpenter, and do not use a hammer much, but definatelly discomfort after, and vibration. I did undergroung culverts mostly for five years solid. Jack hammered a fair piece, and man that is something I would not wish on anybody day in, and out. Anti vibe, S#### all vibes!
Yeh, when I was in Hawaii Labor Union Hall used to call me " Busta Lapaca" buster Bob. No S%$#! Used to hunt me down everywhere to run a jackhammer. Native Hawaiians wanted no part of them. Have no idea how they were able to track me down all over the place over there. Must to have had spies. Back in the late 60's early 70's. Before it got all crowded. Had only been a State for a few years! Anyway definately contributed probably to my back problems. At the time had no idea I'd be in this predicament with my back. The Magnet belt has been a lifesaver. Couldn't do what I do without them.

I've tried the Mechanix anti-vib gloves with some success, but you do lose some ability to handle small parts. Now, I just use the regular leather gloves.

It's sad to read about all of us who suffer from hand/wrist pain & injury. I'd bet most who work with their hands are all in the group to some degree. My wrists suffer from arthritis, which started as tendonitis. It was brought on by years of heavy use of hand and impact tools. The most severe strain came from over-working my wrists twisting/turning screw & nut drivers on tight fittings and clamps. It's a case of, "should have used a bigger tool". The 1" impact driver, working on heavy equipment, was the worst vibration and caused constant pain and swelling. The calcium deposits formed, the joints swelled, movement became limited, you've heard the story before.

Surgery is not an option that works well, replacement wrists aren't readily practical. Chiropractic care, topicals, magnets, shock treatment, ultra-sound, etc., seem to help it some. Old age is the worst contributor, but the alternative won't get the work done. I'm not a "perscription person" because of the side affects, so pain killers aren't viable either. I just keep on working as long as the Good Lord lets me........

I've got the Youngstown Anti-vibe gloves... good gloves, and seem to work better with chainsaws than Mechanix M-Pacts.

You don't need to wrap your wrist so tight to cut off circulation (JJ...)

and they do help with support and stuff...

I like them.

I found my back starts hurting before my wrists get sore or annoyed from holding the saw like they used to before.

Back