Any difference between USA and German Stihls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got a really nice 026, and just now noticed it was made in the USA. All of the other Stihls I've seen up here are made in Germany. Any difference?

From 2004 or so the US made saws (from the 361 and down) have more restrictive mufflers (+ sometimes more), and a tad less power than the German made counterparts.

It is all about EPA, not about quality.

I don't believe it makes a difference on that 026, as it is older.

Last edited:
I just got a really nice 026, and just now noticed it was made in the USA. All of the other Stihls I've seen up here are made in Germany. Any difference?

"2003 – In competition with other STIHL manufacturing plants worldwide, STIHL Inc. wins the company's highest awards for quality in chain saw and power tool manufacturing, achieving such honors for more than five consecutive years."

Thats off the Stihl USA webiste.

Doesn't look like the ones made in Germany are any better than the ones made in the USA. Also 69% of all Stihl made comes out of Va Beach. I don't know if the 026 was ever made in Germany, that model has been around for 20 years. I've never seen one with a tag made in Germany, all have been USA.

(detiabkooh)

Just assembled at the VA beach plant is all...

same parts.

Gary

gary where is the plant in VA beach ? i may just go take a tour tuesday evening after i ship packages out i am leaving for VA tommorrow morning heading to ashland first then off to chesapeake so yes i will be reading posts from the laptop

Stihl makes most of the bigger saws - MS440 on up in Germany.

You can tell if the saw was made in Germany or the US.

The first number in the serial number will tell you where it was made.

1 = Germany
2 = US

the fact that MS 381 carries MADE IN BRAZIL and the sus low price tag has hurt it here in oz;pity when the 038 mag was such a good saw!

If it's says "Made in (West) Germany" on the starter, it could have had a 024 starter put on it.
I think the early 024's where made in Germany.

I am pretty sure the 024/026/260/240s has been made in Germany all the time, in addition to the US production.

Basically VB serves the US, CA and OZ markets - except that the 260 Arctics sold in Canada reportedly are made in Germany.

the fact that MS 381 carries MADE IN BRAZIL and the sus low price tag has hurt it here in oz;pity when the 038 mag was such a good saw!
Yeah - this is a shame. Although I keep hearing the Brazilian quality is up with the German (which I find hard to believe anyway) from trusted sources (Lakeside), I wanted an older, German mag.
I am pretty sure the 024/026/260/240s has been made in Germany all the time, in addition to the US production.

Basically VB serves the US, CA and OZ markets - except that the 260 Arctics sold in Canada reportedly are made in Germany.
I'd be HIGHLY suprised if the 026s in Europe were made in the US. I've never seen a saw this side that says made in USA

This was back in the nineties so might not pertain any more, but my wife was working in Germany and I went over every couple months to see her. On one trip, I figured I'd pick me up a new Stihl and save some money. Figuring, like a genius, they'd be lower-priced over there and so on. I knew the manual would be in German, but my wife speaks it, and could translate, plus I didn't foresee any trouble figuring out the saw anyway.

Surprise! Prices over there, in the Munich area anyway, were HIGHER than over here. Significantly. So, I bought at home after all.

So one difference might just be the price....

gary where is the plant in VA beach ? i may just go take a tour tuesday evening after i ship packages out i am leaving for VA tommorrow morning heading to ashland first then off to chesapeake so yes i will be reading posts from the laptop

Sorry Calvin... but I have no clue where it's at. I'm on the left side of the states... :)

Gary

Back