Any good references for small wooded lot management?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtwtreric

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm located in TN and I'm looking for some references for smaller wood lot management. I've contacted the university extension office. I would like to educate myself on proper management of smaller wooded lots ~1 acre.

I've been clearing out the dead and diseased trees (rot, old storm dammage, and pine beetle) but additional thinning may be required (presently about 500 trees/acre >4" DBH). My goal is to learn how to manage (instead of just cutting down for firewood) to generate a healthy(er) looking stand of trees. The majority of the references I've found are for larger stands.

Thanks!

-Eric

As stated many times with these sort of questions, the best answers come from well asked questions, Google is our friend :) (try 'Small woodlot management (local area here) sustainable' just for a start)
To get you started I'll head you to this site and though not for your area it has many good suggestions for the basics. > http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...t+management+mid+USA&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=1

:cheers: and WELCOME!

Serge

Have you contacted the TN Division of Forestry?

Here in NC we write management plans for free for landowners.
They can give you an idea of what you have, timelines for doing stuff, and other info.

They can give you an idea of what you have, timelines for doing stuff, and other info.

Pennsylvania has something very similar. We have county foresters and our forester is very helpful. We have our place in a "Stewardship" plan. 85% of the cost of the plan is paid by the state.

I didn't think of the Division of Forestry....I went more with the University. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks.

-Eric

As stated many times with these sort of questions, the best answers come from well asked questions, Google is our friend :) (try 'Small woodlot management (local area here) sustainable' just for a start)
To get you started I'll head you to this site and though not for your area it has many good suggestions for the basics. > http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...t+management+mid+USA&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=1

:cheers: and WELCOME!

Serge

Tried google...but out of the >20 pages of stuff. I didn't find anything as good as that link.

Thanks!

-Eric

Pennsylvania has something very similar. We have county foresters and our forester is very helpful. We have our place in a "Stewardship" plan. 85% of the cost of the plan is paid by the state.

Here in NC the NCFS writes a large portion of the stewardship plans as a free service.
Consulting foresters and wildlife biologists can get paid (in full at fixed rates) through the stewardship program if they write plans.
That's neat that PA has county foresters. In NC we have county rangers that write basic plans and service foresters (covering multiple counties) who write all types of plans...I wish I was responsible for only one county. It'd cut down on the work load plus I'd be able to fight more fire.

Forest stewardship isn't for everyone, but Eric sounds like a good candidate...however in NC stewardship forests have to be 5 acres or more.
That still doesn't stop us from writing comprehensive multi resource management plans for small landowners.

I found the TN forestry site through the dept. of Ag. From what I read the stewardship plans are designed for 10 acre or more and it more services than I need. There appears to be a forester that covers a couple of counties. I am going to try to contact him and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens.

-Eric

lots of resources out there, the best would be from the extension office.
U can contact larry tankersley at the UT extension office on campus.

I am a cert arborist and work on woodlots nearby and currently manage a development project, i am a forester and a grad student in forestry. if you would like to meet/talk, you can contact me via PM or email.

If you do any more trimming make sure that you do not leave a stub and cut it back to a lateral limb that is big enough to take it's role otherwise the new sprouts will grow so fast that it will be hard to manage and will also help promote the decay of the wood.

Latest posts

Back