any idea what this stuff is???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
attachment.php

attachment.php

Split the tank on a Homelite, and found this. Could this be red-kote tank sealer or some variant thereof. Looks like a new fuel line and filter were installed recently(wonder why). From the pics it looks wet, but it is just the blistering effect. It is dry and flaky. The tank did not leak for the 40+ min it had mix in it. Any ideas on what it is and the best way to get rid of it??

Last edited:
czeigler

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Can you use a small sand blaster to get rid of it? That might be easier than using a screwdriver and you should be able to get more of it.

just my $0.02

crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lent my big sandblaster to a buddy. He has a small one that he uses for small housings and carbs. I figure if I keep the pressure down and double protect the gasket surfaces I should be fine. There is some pink corrosion in places under this black goo, but until I get it all off I won't know if there is any pitting. Any of you have thoughts as to what this is?? Could it be some kind of old tank sealer gone bad? A mechanic buddy told me he thinks it is rotten gas been left in the tank too long. Oils in the mix have created a micro bacteria that has started the corrosion process? I have seen this with diesel that has sat a long time in a steel tank, but not gas. Comments...

gr8scott72

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Old gas usually leaves a yellow or green residue, not black.

The inside of the valve covers on a Lexus ES300 that we just sold looks just like that.

(Just so no one thinks that we're just pawning off some crap to someone, we are actually rebuilding both heads and cleaning out the bottom end for free for the customer since Toyota wouldn't fix under their sludge recall since we bought it at auction and don't have any service records.)

crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
With some digging, the dealer told me that this saw was used almost daily by a local landscaping company. On closer inspection it appears the saw was well looked after. The fuel lines had been replaced recently along with the fuel filter, needle bearings were in good shape and greased. the chain was razor sharp. So it's not as if this saw had been on a shelf for the last decade.