Any new MS 260 Pro's still around?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiLL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So since Ive been doing lots of cutting in the wake of hurricane sandy, my shoulders are getting quite sick of holding up the old 361.

I want something lighter to brush with, and a new 261 is a bit too heavy im afraid.

Anyone know of places I could get a new 260 pro??

Thanks Jim

The US version of the MS260 is seriously underpowered for a 50cc saw, but it surely is light - and it is several years since the model was discontinued. Either try to find a good used 026 - or better, get a 550xp. The 550 is really strong, and the lightest really good 50cc saw around. :msp_wink:

The US version of the MS260 is seriously underpowered for a 50cc saw, but it surely is light - and it is several years since the model was discontinued. Either try to find a good used 026 - or better, get a 550xp. The 550 is really strong, and the lightest really good 50cc saw around. :msp_wink:

Have you used the 550 yet or .... :givebeer:

An MS211 would make a fine compliment to the MS361. At under ten pounds, under $300, 16" and under bar with picco super chain, and two year warranty. I found that it revs high like a Husqy for quick limbing in 6" and down wood. It will tolerate burying the bar in hardwood, just slowly. I had one earlier this year, with 14" bar PMC, but replaced it with MS192TC and an 024. Was not too good of move, I'm out the $400 it cost to upgrade and now I have to decide if I want to use the slowest cutting saw on the market, or an old vibratey one with no flippy caps. I'm waiting for the MS241C-M to come to the us market before I do anything else stupid!

+1 on a good used 026 pro. I run a full time tree service with a stack of big modern saws, some ported, a few 441crm's etc... The 026 is the only older saw I run, and I'll buy a good one any day of the week. It's light enough you can almost one hand it (don't), has plenty of power when setup with .325 and is just a great saw. nice throttle response, revvy, brilliant limbing saw and great small tree falling saw. They don't for a lot of $, keep your eye open and pay a little more, get a nice one. It will last a long long time. Or an 024 if you see a very tidy one.

Shaun

And it has the autotune carburetor, so you don't have to goof around pulling out mixture screw limiters, buying a tach and retuning the thing right out of the box....

What sometimes goes on is we get "loyal" to a certain model based on the fact that we bought several of them, and now have a collection of runners and parts donors.
That's why our fleet isn't as up-to-date as it could be...we have a stable of 660/066s, 440/044s, 260Pros, and 200Ts. I haven't bought a new saw in years, I buy dead saws and rebuild them...often with parts from our own "bone pile".
I like the 260Pro, it's light and strong with a muffler mod and 18"b&c. Most non-runners on CL and fleabay only need the cylinder cleaned up and throw in a Meteor piston...and WHAMMM! new saw!

Good luck with your search, keep us posted!

Saw Safe :msp_thumbup:

Here we go again, a guy wants info on a Stihl ms260 and a mob comes out telling him to buy a Husky. I like Dollies but the OP wants a Stihl, we should help him out.

OP, the 026 is a bit lighter than the 260 but trying to find one in good shape is a crapshoot as they've been discontinued for awhile. The MS260 just got discontinued a couple years back, so finding one not beaten to heck is not too difficult. Plus there are plenty of parts available everywhere. The 260 is one of the favourite saws adopted by many municipalities around here for the ground crews. It was and still is a popular saw, so finding a new one would be nigh impossible I think.

If you want a Husky then get one, same for Dolmar or whatever. But don't be put off the 260 just because there are newer alternatives.

Yes. There ARE some 260 pros, NIB, somewhere, NOS stuff shows up all the time on the 'bay. Posting this query here is a good way to start looking, someone here always has something they're looking to part with. You may want to watch your PMs. The StihlUSA site has a dealer locator, type in your zip code and start calling. Most dealers will laugh at you, but if you put in the time, someone fairly near you will have one or know of one. Good luck.

This was posted yesterday about another saw here on AS
Maaayyybbbbeeee, then again maybe not.:)
But since your here flapping that beak anyway, how about sharing your hands on experience with both the PP330 and the MS290 ant tell us what you think the OP should do.
You know, actually contribute to a thread.

It just seems funny after reading this

ST; How much time do you have running a MS 461 or MS 261 or even the Husky 550; Would love to here the answer to that one :wink2:

Seems to me ST never had "hands on experience" with them :msp_wink:

I have no "hands on experience" with a 550 either because none of the Husky dealers here in my area have them

It's a fact here on AS when there a thread's about Stihl chain saw's ST will down grade any Stihl no matter which version of saw it is; I have so many quotes were he has done that it isn't funny and more like ST saying Stihl chain saw's has "plastic crank cases"

And here is the saw were he did say that and you can see clearly that it isn't a plastic crank case

003.jpg

Jes doin' my small part to try keepin' it real 'round here - hehe.:givebeer:

MS 260 is a Great Saw

Lots of folks knock the old 260, but they are great, bulletproof saws. After having had a bunch of 026/260's over the years, they have all since departed.

Most of the places around here are out of them, but I did see a new one last month in Oregon. I'd call all of the small local Stihl dealers (the smaller the better), and/or ones in a rural area. A few years ago I found a new MS361 at a WAY out in the sticks Stihl dealer/gas station/café over a year after they were long gone off of most dealers shelves. Alternatively, I bet if you are patient a nice one will show up on Craigslist sooner or later. You can also find new 260's on Ebay every now and then. If you feel that the 261 is a bit too much size and balance wise, you may want to look into a Husky 346 or 550. I have the 261 and 346, and have played with the 550 a little; The small Huskies are a bit handier than the 261 IMHO.

Good luck!

I know a store where they have one new in the box. Price is the same as the 261! :msp_scared: Wonder why no one has bought it sofar.

Nothing against the Huskys but I am really a Stihl guy... I already have a 361 and a 460, both of which I bought new a few years ago and I would like to stick to what I know. 4 Stihl dealerships in my area and one Husky :)

Hoping someone hits me up with an offer... but what do you guys think of those "Manufacturer rebuilt" saw that are on ebay? Boy those look clean....

Id it helps, i'll give out a 10% finders fee for anybody who can find me a unused 260 Pro. I cant call every dealership in the country, but it would help if a couple of you tried your local place, or asked while you were in there

Latest posts

Back