Any self-taught climbers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was self taught. Survived fine for 20 years but it got pretty dicing at times. There is a lot more info out there now. Books, schools videos. I had none of that. Hell, "The Care of Trees" hadn't even come out yet. Study whats out there and take it slow.

So a lot of discussion about learning to climb. Lets back uo a little... Do you know anything about trees?

Well spoken. Walked up on a friend this week who decided he could prune his own trees. He made the cuts so close to the trunk he cut off the branch collars and made wounds twice to three times the size of what was necessary. More work for him and Very Hard on the trees, Magnolias and a Sycamore. He also made his cuts with just a single top cut, frquently ripping bark down the side of the trunk. Just two examples among Many. He is a really nice kid, just no clue how much damage he is doing.

I had a very good coach. Reminded by this thread, think I will take a moment tonight to write him a "Thank You" note. I also learn a lot from this web site. Could never call myself "Self Taught" just because of what I learn from the people here.

As a self taught climber (and not a very good one at that) I would recommend learning how to use a chainsaw very well on the ground, and learn how to recreation climb very well, but do not mix the two until you are comfortable and safe with both.

During your off time learning how to climb without a chainsaw on your saddle, take the others advice and learn the trees inside and out. Check out Jerry Beranik (if you can afford his book "The fundamentals of general tree work" make that your bible.

As far as YouTube, Climbing Arborist has some really good basic stuff to learn on, and August Hunicke has some great advanced stuff (really entertaining videos too).

Start off low and slow on a closed blakes hitch system, and don't complicate it until are really comfortable with the closed system. Other than that, take it slow, be safe, and have fun with it!

Great post Matt.

I wouldn't start with a Blake's, but the rest is spot on! Curious, why Blake's over a split tail with an eye-to-eye? I have always thought that a simpler system...

I think everyone should start off with a closed blakes hitch system. Only need one rope, no split tail or eye to eye.

You never know when you might need to know how to make a system out of only one rope. Could save you in a pinch.

I don't understand. I've tied lots of monkey fists over the years, but I can't see how they would be used as a climbing hitch. The ones I've tied were used to make a ball in the rope for weight.
http://titanparacord.com/monkeys-fist/
Haha Jeff was making a comment about how ineffective the blakes has become with newer eye to eye cord, and related it to a decorative knot.

I don't understand. I've tied lots of monkey fists over the years, but I can't see how they would be used as a climbing hitch. The ones I've tied were used to make a ball in the rope for weight.
http://titanparacord.com/monkeys-fist/

Hey BC, let me clarify, back in the late 70's and early 80's, we called a 'taut line hitch' a monkey fist,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back