Any small time Loggers or Milling folks near NW Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought I would see if ther is any you guys that mill loggs or small time loggers near northwest ohio that would be interested in white oak trees or logs. Had 4 large Swamp White Oak trees die recently, one last summer, and the other 3 this summer. I havn`t measured them, but at least 30 inch diameter in size. We sold timber about 5 years ago, sold 74 trees, mostly red and white oak. But, most of these logging companys dont like to bother with a handfull of trees. The forrester was out couple months ago and looked things over, he was mostly concerned with looking at the ash trees to see if the EA Borrer had shown up yet, thankfully not yet, anyways. That was his thought, find someone that would be willing to do a few trees. Hate to see them go to waste, or firewood. Allthough thats what i will do, if it comes down to it. I am wanting to get into milling, bought the saw, but dont have the mill yet. I might cut one up for logs and save them, but there is too much for me. I guess the biggest problem for most of us, is being able to handle them. Would need a stout trailer and a way to load them. I have a rather light weight 3pt. mounted boom pole on a tractor, not sure if that can handle it or not. Even short 6 to 8 foot logs would be very heavy. Any way, I wanted to through it out there, not looking to get rich, just hate to see them go to waste. I can see makin firewood out of them would be lotta work also, I`d be out there days using a wedge and sledge gettin the rounds down to size to pick up..lol let alone get them on the splitter.
Thanks, Gregg

You got the right idea save the tops for firewood and get yourself some nice sentimental lumber from the trunks that would be a shame to burn it all. I read you bought a 385xp which will me a good milling saw you'll like it its slow work but like getting a present each board you take off!! The alaskan mill would be the way to go lots of guys use them on here and no complaints!! Good luck to you and post some pics if you can Happy milling!! irishcountry

You could also contact your local county extension office (soil and water). They will be able to provide you a list of names and phone numbers of people in your county and surrounding counties who have sawmills.

I milled some dead oak last week with the 066BB and 36" bar. I had to cut bark and wood from the sides of the log to allow the 30" width of the mill to pass over. In that this was a workout for my 99cc saw, I'm sure that it would be more so for your smaller Husqvarna.

If you had an Alaskan and mini mill, you could make a top cut, setup and and make side cuts with the mini mill, and then cut 21" boards or slabs from a 30" log. Your 385 should be able to handle that better than 30". Be aware that you'll need 6" longer bar than the maximum cut you're planning on making. A good plan(for a 385xp) would be a 30" or 36" Alaskan, and 32" bar for 26" max width cut.

Latest posts

Back