Any suggestion on a power hedge trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an Echo HC151 hedge trimmer with 21.3cc engine. It is very reasonable priced. I have it for over 2 years. It works. Question is , a lot of time when I trim anything with stems half inch or over diameter, the branch can get caught and jam the trimmer. The engine can still run when I push harder but the clutch slip and go nowhere.
Am I asking too much on a small trimmer like this? Any suggestion on a good strong commercial hedge trimmer? Weight don't matter. I don't want the long pole type, only the regular single or double sided 30 or 40".

I had a similar problem at my mother's place. Her gardener packed it in last year, so all of the hedges in the garden were very wild. I broke out her 20 year old "Mountfield" trimmer, and it really wasn't up to the job - the same problem on big stems, allied to a number of faults on the machine itself.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Stihl HS81-T30 - and arranged for it to be delivered to her place, so that it was waiting for me. Revelation! The T-type has a slower cut speed and a bigger gap between the teeth, and destroyed everything in its path. I was worried about the small engine (22cc), but it has more than enough power. The anti-vib + exhaust mounting are pretty neat as well.

The old Mountfield has since been fixed up (carb kit, retune and sharpen), but the HS81 still wipes the floor with it.

If you're really desperate, and have good footing....I have used an 046 with a 25" bar to cut overgrown hedges. Works pretty well, but probably rather dangerous.

Hedges suck.

Agreed, I use a Stihl HS 60 at work with a 30" cutter bar, it works fast and the long bar allows me to reach the tall hedges easily. I am the only one that handles the big Stihl, everyone else goes for the little JD knockoff trimmers we have that just dont do the job like the big Stihl does.

Hi again Yungman im using a kawasaki th23 30" hedge CUTTER not trimmer slower blade speed and larger spacing i have no problems with it stopping in the cut it can take a little time but it will chew its way through a 2" branch starts first time every time and goes for the best part of an hour on a tank of mix

Any suggestion on a good strong commercial hedge trimmer? Weight don't matter.

If weight doesn't matter, I can really recommend the HS81R from Stihl.
The new design has excellent AV (which the previous model HS75 didn't have) and it's a real improvement. With the long blades (30"), it's quite nose heavy, but it gives you an excellent reach, which is very good for your back. BUT the trimmer is heavy and creates a real challenge for muscle strength in your arm after a while. The design is flawless : sharp blades, strong transmission and the power is OK. I have tried Husky 225H75 in the past : quite lightweight and easy to handle, but the mechanic design is poor, and way too much plastic to my liking (lifetime). If you don't need the long blades, get the HS81R shorter version (24"), as it provides better balance and weight. But do take a model with rotating handle.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and ordered a Stihl HS81-T30 - and arranged for it to be delivered to her place, so that it was waiting for me. Revelation! The T-type has a slower cut speed and a bigger gap between the teeth, and destroyed everything in its path. I was worried about the small engine (22cc), but it has more than enough power. The anti-vib + exhaust mounting are pretty neat as well.

RXE, I believe you mixed two models up : the T (trimmer) model from Stihl HS81 has nearly twice the blade speed as the R model (Rückschnitt). It's the R model that has bigger gaps and lower speed, which makes it more suitable for thicker hedges.

The T model is more suited for trimming smaller stuff (cuts nicer because of the higher speed). ;)

RXE, I believe you mixed two models up :

Yup, you're right - it's an R. Sorry about that!

I haven't noticed a weight problem with this one. If you want a weight problem, try putting a hedge cutter attachment on a fully extended HT75 and cut some tall stuff! (yes, I know its not recommended, but it works pretty well).

Yup, you're right - it's an R. Sorry about that!

I haven't noticed a weight problem with this one. If you want a weight problem, try putting a hedge cutter attachment on a fully extended HT75 and cut some tall stuff! (yes, I know its not recommended, but it works pretty well).

Ive got an HT75 with a burn piston.cylinder, seems kinda heavy to me.

Id take a strong look at the Echo HC-230/233, which offer a Double reciprocating 30" blade, or the HC-231/234, which is the same, but with a 40" double reciprocating blade.

Good solid machine with a great Anti-vibe setup.

Dry weights are 12.7 and 13.7 lbs.

Latest posts

Back