Anybody get any morel mushrooms yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know I'm a bit early, I'm guessing it'll be a couple weeks yet, but I thought I'd check to see if you guys have had any luck yet, I know a lot of you guys spend plenty of time in the timber!

3 weeks yetclose to the end of april first of may around here
larry here is a message board for most all the states for mushrooms http://www.morels.com/

Last edited:
Been finding Verpas (early or false morels that grow low elevation in Cottonwood), and the Trues are very close behind. Try this website http://morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_progression_sightings_map.htm They have a Morel sighting map for the US, :clap: LOL updated every week. Browse around their site, they have detailed reports for all states that have found shrooms already. Lower places in town have them first, usually in barkdust in people's flowers, the parks, ect. Spring Chinook fishing in the morning and Morel picking in the afternoon in a week or two! :cheers:

We have found a few dry land fish "morels" here. I think they have been up for about 2 weeks in our neck of the woods. I believe the next warm spell we have will bring lot more up.

I would have to have a snow shovel before I could even think about looking for some.:mad:

I've never found a morrel before. I've eaten them and love them though! When is the best time to find them. Sunny weather? Right after a rain? etc. I'm in the woods more and would like to look for some and identify them and not eat a poison shroom. yuck.. Thanks

i had one of these guys pop up last fall.....

attachment.php

I love these food threads!
Morel Hunting, still a few Months before I can do that:(
Best Morel hunting is done a year or two after a Forrest fire you will find them everywhere. Is there anything better than a Deep fried battered Deer or Elk steak with sauteed shrooms?
You gota try Garlic powder and a little splash of beer on the Shrooms as they fry in butter.

The earliest I've ever found them in our neck of the woods is April 14th. We were on track to a early year again but this cold snap may throw a wrench in it. Not going to get to Tennessee this year, but we always hit peak around 14th of April. They'll be here before we know it.

Elms in early stage of dying will bring in the mother load.

i had one of these guys pop up last fall.....

attachment.php

Unless your mushrooms are a lot different from ours I would call that a
Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria), its listed as being poisonous in my books but it also contains an hallucinogen, I do know someone who has had some them (Not me I might add) but I really don't know how it was prepared and I can't say I would reccommend it either.
He was taking it for effect and not taste and he's still here years later, I saw him yesterday and he's only got a few mental problems.
They grow in birch woodland.

All this talk about mushrooms got me to thinking today when the wife asked what I wanted for dinner. I went down in the freezer and got out a package of morals ans some vension tenderloin and that made dinner. Going to need more fresh mushrooms shortly

Back