Anybody got tennitus?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a few chainsaws to work on today, got three going well and one not so well, had the ear protection five feet away from me and forgot to use it, habit I need to break. I guess when I go to the garage I need to put them around my neck and slip 'em on when I start the saw.

'00

What actually happens when you don't wear hearing protection is you damage the hair cells in your cochlear. As sound vibrations go through your ear drum they are amplified 22 times louder by two bones commonly known as the hammer and anvil. The vibrations reach the cochlear ( which looks like a snail) inside the cochlear tiney and very delicate hair cells vibrate, these cells are the end of the line for vibration. The hair cells are actually nerves they convery the vibrations to an electrical signal, the signal travels to the brain via the auditory nerve.
When you go to a rock concert and you have realy dull hearing the next day its because alot of the cells have laid over. Over time most of them will stand up again and your hearing goes back to normal. BUT every time you expose the deilicate cells to load noise you slowly do damage. They are either laid over and wont vibrate or actually broken.
Tinnitus is not compleatly understood but it a problem somwhere between the hair cells and the brain.

The auditory nerve can also be irritated by other things than simply noise. Jaw TMJ inflammation, neurological issues, food allergies and stress can all contribute to Tinnitus. As said above, Tinnitus is not fully understood.

I had a state trooper tell me about hearing protections years ago. We were both small arms instructors back in the early ninties when we both started to experiense hearing loss. I did not learn this in my training to become a firearms instructor. He told me that you should use double protection to really protect your hearing. That means ear plugs (foamies) and ear muffs. That's because sound can still travel through your skull and tissue into your ear easily around the simple ear plugs. Gotta think about it. As Jeffkrib describes above, it's the truth. I chose the ear muffs as they are easy to use and cover more of the area exposed to loud noises. I'm 57 yoa and hearing loss sucks. I have hearing aids but don't like to wear them and batteries are expensive. I deal with it.

I got to noticing today that my left ear has more noises in it than the right side does. Then I realized that when I start and run a saw I usually have my left ear closer to the muffler than the right side if that means anything.

I've recently noticed a cricket sound in my ears and asked people around me if they hear crickets and they all say no. I started reading up on this and found a large population of people have this and it can be caused by high decibel noises such as a chainsaw. I rebuild a lot of chainsaws and run them nearly every day and seldom use ear protection so I think I know where mine came from (there are other causes as well). I thought I'd just offer some of you muffler modders, like me a little advice that you might want to think it through about the mods and about hearing protection.
Ginkgo Biloba in enough quantity can help.

ear plugs are bad. i used to work in a mine many years ago. the safety reps would come in once a year, and show us how bad a job the ear plugs worked. a good quality ear muff is the way to go. and use them all of the time. the mine boss would fine us if we used the ear plugs.
Nope not the case with good foam plugs. The ones we wear at work have a higher db rating than ear muffs. I've tried both and the plugs block more sound for me.

The key to foam plugs is you have to wear them properly. You can't just shove them in and expect them to work. I've been using the foam ones at work and at home for 22yrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

One ear high frequency constant pitch, other a lower on-of ringing, probably caused by motorcyle driving. Try to ignore it as much as possible. After half a day of chainsaw use I experience sound- sensitivity for a couple of days. I wear earplugs and - muffs.
I have the low on off ringing. May only happen once a week. I have high tone loss in one ear the other is fairly normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yep. Maybe my earliest memory from childhood was an ear infection. I suffered with those for 60 years. The only thing I worried about when I had my physical for the fire department was my hearing. When the doc looked in my ears she said "Oh my" (loudly I might add). Then add in guns and high pressure gases and later chainsaws and tractors.
Two years ago I went through an exhaustive hearing test in an anechoic chamber. The scores showed my hearing to be OK. I picked up highs and lows but missed mostly in the middle. You know, the range most people speak in. I have the TV up so loud I can feel the sound waves in the floor and even the furniture. I still can't make out all the friggin words!
If you need to talk to me then send me a text!

Had it since I was around 4. Don't have any hearing loss, and can still hear to about 23 kHz. As for decoding sound into stuff that has meaning, well, anyone with the great lakes accent, I'm probably going to need someone to translate. It all sounds like captain caveman grunts. Add in people with crappy cell phones, and the vast increase of people with sloppy speech patterns, I figure I'll be "functionally deaf" in about 5 years.

The bad thing is when watching TV, and the person(s) who did the captioning can't figure out what the hell people are saying either. lol!

Latest posts

Back