Anybody have some closeup pics of a band roller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I am buying the Cook's roller.

Wish it was less expensive!!!

Ordered it today, will be here tuesday the 27th.

I need it bad...and am a lot afraid of the trial and error of the bead roller.

Last edited:
From what I can see from Andys pics The beed roller is just about Identical in design to the cooks band roller I have yet to get mine set up but when it do I'll let you guys know how it works!I'm likly going to Need a little coaching from Andy on its use ! Ive been busy with other crap latly and seems every time I get some free time it aint as free As I would like!
Unless you know somthing I don't, I would get a bead roller!
They are virtualy the same animal!

Last edited:
Alan,
I've got one, but I haven't used it lately since I haven't ran my mill for a while. Right now I'm "babysitting" my wife while she recovers from surgery, and we've had quite a bit of snow so I'll have to dig my way into the shed.
It may be a little while, but I'll share pic's.
If anyone else has one feel free to share pic's before me.

Andy

When you bought the roller....was there an instructional DVD with it???

My roller will be here soon!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin,

Maybe it would be possible to get some better pics of it, I suspect there are some differences, although minor between the bead roller and the band roller. For all intents and purposes, it seems they would both serve the same purpose.

The results should be pretty easy to measure.

I'm going to look at my used Norwood blades to see if/how they are crowned. I'll try to remember to bring a small square to measure the flatness. I was looking at the Cooks blades today, and they were flat, definitely.

Even though the band roller is expensive, it is proven to work. We're still waiting for FJH to run one of his bands through the bead roller...I think at minimum it may require setting up some type of stop for the back of the blade, but maybe the bead roller can accommodate that as well???

I have a comfortable amount of new blades in my rack, and a pile of Norwood blades I can get sharpened...but I suspect that after I get through the Cooks blades I'll probably get them resharpened...:)

Shipping is a deal breaker on sharpening old blades, IMO.

Kevin,

Maybe it would be possible to get some better pics of it, I suspect there are some differences, although minor between the bead roller and the band roller. For all intents and purposes, it seems they would both serve the same purpose.

The results should be pretty easy to measure.

I'm going to look at my used Norwood blades to see if/how they are crowned. I'll try to remember to bring a small square to measure the flatness. I was looking at the Cooks blades today, and they were flat, definitely.

Even though the band roller is expensive, it is proven to work. We're still waiting for FJH to run one of his bands through the bead roller...I think at minimum it may require setting up some type of stop for the back of the blade, but maybe the bead roller can accommodate that as well???

I have a comfortable amount of new blades in my rack, and a pile of Norwood blades I can get sharpened...but I suspect that after I get through the Cooks blades I'll probably get them resharpened...:)

Shipping is a deal breaker on sharpening old blades, IMO.

It is a pain, but when I have sent blades in that were diving...and they have only been sharpened 10 or so times....and come back...don't dive....and 10 more sharpenings....they are more than paid for.

I sharpen and set my own blades.....next week...I will roll them too.

Last count is about 80-100 blades that are diving and or rising in the cut.

Gets very cost effective that way.

Kevin

Sorry Kevin, I haven't been on here in a while.
Yes, there is a video with it, and some vague written instructions. Not too hard to figure out with very little trial and error.
They send a machined straight edge piece of metal to check blades with, but a scraper blade (single edge razor) works good too.
I know the band roller is a lot of money. But it will pay for itself many times over. Every time you roll a band that you couldn't use anymore, write down $25 (or whatever your blades cost) and see how long it is before the roller is making you money, instead of paying for itself. With 80 to 100 blades that need rolling, it won't be long.
I know, I don't have to convince you. You've already got one coming. :cheers:

Andy

I realise this is an old thread but some BSMs may like to see my home shop built band roller.

I had almost all the parts already in my shop picked up as scrap steel or used parts left over from other projects.
The 1/2HP 3P motor is from an old lathe that I upgraded, even the SHS from is a left over from a defunct project.
The only things I purchased specifically is the 4140 steel for the rollers, the motor speed controller and switchgear and assorted bolts etc.

It's still not finished but there's enough there to see how it looks.

IMG_5986.jpg

Close up of rollers.
They are on a hinge so the top rollers can be lifterdoff to get the blade in/out and allow for variable pressure to be applied to the blade
IMG_5984.jpg
The speed of the rollers is via a VFD - 60Hz generates about 85rpm but the VFD will allow speed control don as low as 20 to well over 100 RPM.
Additional slow speed control can be obtained by adjusting the pressure on the rollers with the big lever.
IMG_5985.jpg

Here you can see the HD hinge arrangement and the drive reduction pulleys.
The top most pulley I extracted out of a washing machine but fabled up a HD hub with a 1/4" keyway. All the other pulleys etc were shop made.
BR1.jpg

The main things to do are harden and temper the rollers and make an in/out feed table and support roller setup for the blades.

Back