anybody separate speices when splitting and selling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just being curious. For my onw use, I saw it, split it and stack it all in the same pile. I have been considering processing some wood types separate. I am thinking about tossing all the hickory and white oak to the side and then processing them into smoker wood. I'll drag some hickory out of the pile every now and then for smoking, and have gave some to friends when they are smoking, but other than that, I usually dont even think about it. I am thinking the market might be pretty good for bundles of smoker wood, but havent checked into it enough to see it its even worth fooling with.

I have been splitting 3 year old rounds of ash and newly cut rounds of wild black cherry and mulberry. The ash should be ready for this fall so I am keeping it away from the cherry and mulberry that will be for next year at the earliest.

Yes, primo oak and hickory and what little cherry I get goes into separate stacks and areas. Less than primo oak and hickory and everything else gets mixed together.

Some guys around me will separate any nice white birch they come across. The yupsters love paying $100 a face cord for it. Other than that im with Oldman47, i just separate by its readiness to burn.

90% of what I cut and process is Oak, and about 90% of that is Red Oak. Anything else that drops gets processed into a separate pile of mixed hardwood. I have a couple charity cases brought to my attention every year who are in need of heat to stay warm, but have no money. I provide from my mix pile. They stay warm, I feel a little better for my contribution, and they don't complain about the Poplar burning fast.

I dont know, I just thought the barbeque places might pay a little extra for good seasoned hickory. I guess if one advertised bundled hickory as smoker wood, one might get a few bites. Just dont now if the interest is there to make it worth while.

same as zogger. always keep the locust and hedge by its self for the sub zero weather. Im not sure of the smoker market but have friends that do a lot of smoking. And when they run short and beg me for hickory, they are generous with their meat. YUUUUM

I think I will just visit a few of the barbque place and just ask them where they get their wood and see if they will tell me what they pay. Never know until you ask. If they are just paying normal firewood prices, its not worth fooling with.

I think I will just visit a few of the barbque place and just ask them where they get their wood and see if they will tell me what they pay. Never know until you ask. If they are just paying normal firewood prices, its not worth fooling with.

I doubt they are paying normal firewood prices.

I separate oak (brings more $$$) and pecan (brings most $$$) here. Everything else gets mixed. If I ever cut any hickory, locust, or hedge I would separate it also.

I theink i remember guys who have done the smoker wood thi g have had to run biodegradable/veggie oil on place o coventional bar oil. Food safe and whatnot.

from things ive read on different forums,,you will be tied to them for a year...they want a long range contract, to keep them supplied. and yah, its normally quite a bit more than reg firewood......but their size and length....more work,,but the pay may be worth it....

I keep oak, cherry, and locust in their own piles. Everything else goes in mixed hardwood.

Currently, I dont separate anything. I am not even selling firewood. What I cut and split goes in my stove with little attention paid to what type of wood it is. This may change in the near future and if it does, I just want to have enough info to make the most money for my work. While it is fairly easy for me to scrounge enough wood to feed my stove, I dont have the energy to cut mountains of wood to put on the market. I can buy large truck loads of logs fairly easy and reasonable. Those truck loads will all be mixed hardwoods. Its pretty easy to separate types and just process smoker woods in a separate pile.

Hickory, cherry or fruitwood should yield a premium price from people who smoke meat. I know that hickory smoked and apple smoked meat sells at a premium and they need the real thing to advertise their meat that way. Wild black cherry is actually reputed to be one of the best for a smoker. My local Lowe's is selling apple, cherry and hickory at prices I can just barely imagine. Small bags weighing maybe 5 pounds are sold at near $5 each. WTF is up with that compared to cord wood prices. They also sell mesquite, something I can't cut for myself, at about that price. If you use a chipper on the premium woods, I bet you could pay it off pretty darned quickly, but you must be certain to always segregate everything you are going to chip and label it correctly. I would bet that a single bad batch of chips would get you right off their "preferred supplier" list.

I separate what I believe is fuel wood from campfire wood. It's very easy because campfire wood has the lowest BTU/lb rating, and that includes cottonwood, poplar, willow, and basswood. A few really good hardwoods are best for fuel. That includes oak, ash, locust, walnut, hackberry, and hard maple. I mix these together. Then there are the good fireplace woods that throw practically no sparks. That includes elm and soft maple. A few of the dense fuel woods work very well in fireplaces also but I have so much elm and soft maple available that I can usually satisfy fireplace demand with those two species alone.

Now I know this is hard to believe, but several of my customers ask that I mix in some cottonwood with the dense fuel woods, only because it is so easy to light and get the fire going and, of course, it's the state tree and it's everywhere.

I hadnt considered campfire wood. I think a good way to get rid of the popular, dogwood, maple and sourwood. Mix it with a little red oak, maybe throw in a few pieces of pine to help get the fire started. Put it in one of those little bundles and put a plastic handle on it. Wonder just how much wood is actually in one of those little bundles.

Did a quick google. Firewood bundles =.75cuft. 128cuft/.75=170bundles x$5per=$853 per cord. wouldnt have to sell many cords at that price to show a profit.

I hadn't considered campfire wood. I think a good way to get rid of the popular, dogwood, maple and sourwood. Mix it with a little red oak, maybe throw in a few pieces of pine to help get the fire started. Put it in one of those little bundles and put a plastic handle on it. Wonder just how much wood is actually in one of those little bundles.

Did a quick google. Firewood bundles =.75 cu ft. 128 cu ft/.75=170 bundles x $5 per=$853 per cord. wouldn't have to sell many cords at that price to show a profit.
Except that I sell bundles for $5 apiece if only one bundle is bought. Two for $9 and three for $12. If a customer buys four or more, they get them all for $4 apiece.

My bundles also include a cubic foot or more. I pack in 9 to 10 logs in each bundle and usually squeeze in some kindling if possible. I got a private note the other day from a steady customer. In that note he said, "Edwin, you have the biggest and best firewood bundles in the whole state."

I have 2 stacks - good wood and junk wood. I usually burn only good wood (oak and other high-BTU stuff) for the coldest months, but save some junk wood for the warmer months.
I sell all my junk wood, but I let the customers know up front what they are getting. Nobody seems to care, really, but I only sell about 10 cords a year. (But I did sell 5 cords of oak to a neighbor - he twisted my arm).

Latest posts

Back