Anybody tried this axe yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147592-302-1190700

I had an older one that I cracked the back of the head on and it finally came off. I am also thinking of Fiskars but keep hearing about the short handle problems.

I have 3 of those, but with regular ax handles. I prefer those kind of handles to the ergonomic one in the pic. I got mine at the local Meijer for something around $30.00 some years ago. I love mine, swing all day and not feel wore out like I would with my maul.

31AC9FZHZ6L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147592-302-1190700

I had an older one that I cracked the back of the head on and it finally came off. I am also thinking of Fiskars but keep hearing about the short handle problems.

Yes! A friend of mine let me try his and it works very well. It was hard to beat the effectiveness for the money. I have wanted one for awhile now, would like to compare side by side with the fiskars version. For the price you won't be disappointed.

I have one just like that and have used it for the last few years. It works great! I was pretty skeptical about it only having a 4 lb. head as I was using a standard 8lb maul and also a 16lb monster maul, but my friend bought one and let me try it out. It worked just as well as the 8lb-er if not better and really does not tire you out. I rarely use the 16lb-er anymore unless it is some huge knotty and twisty piece.

I guess I should also mention that I have been a pretty good field tester for it - it's done over 12 FULL cords of wood over the last 2 years. On a side note, make sure you don't leave it outside in the sun like my friend did, or the handle will turn pink (unless you like that sort of thing).:)

It is excellent for the smaller straight grained stuff, but useless for tougher wood (elm, etc) and bigger rounds. I usually use it right alongside my regular maul and monstermaul. Big stuff quartered with monster or regular maul, then split up with the tru temper.

I always use the lightest splitting device I think I can get away with splitting the wood in one swing.

It is excellent for the smaller straight grained stuff, but useless for tougher wood (elm, etc) and bigger rounds. I usually use it right alongside my regular maul and monstermaul. Big stuff quartered with monster or regular maul, then split up with the tru temper.

I always use the lightest splitting device I think I can get away with splitting the wood in one swing.

I agree.

One bad thing about it is that the design of the head makes it get stuck into tougher stuff. You end up using more energy removing the maul from the round then you do swinging.

I bought one like that from Wal Mart. It lasted quite a while, but the back failed from driving wedges. They are made of cast steel, and not forged... Which makes them much weaker.

In hindsight, if I didn't try to drive wedges with it, it would still be around... And I did like the way it split.

I ended up welding the back of it, and cool it as quickly as I could. It melted the fiberglass handle... But without welding it, it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

I'd buy more of that head shape if they were forged.

I have one and it splits like a dream. I have used a monster maul (triangle wedge) and that wears me out. This is light, but can generate some speed. It makes red oak look like a stack of fire crackers quickly.

I bought one and broke it in about 15 minutes.

notsosuper.jpg

Of course, I had to add some weight to it which made it a bit top heavy. It sunk in and then laid over, snapping the tip off. They need to add weight to it by making that wing the full height of the axe head.

SuperSplitter.jpg

Ian

Last edited:
I purchased one similar to it (though I don't know the weight) with a yellow handle. I much prefer my wooden handle mauls over it, as they don't get stuck as often, and tend to split wood much easier. The wedge portion on this seems to be too pronounced.

I do tend to go through wooden handles and they are getting expensive to replaced, so my wife recently purchased a yellow fiberglass handle for my maul head, but was very disappointing in the mounting method... they provide you with some grey gummy stuff to fill the bottom, and two double packs of epoxy to fill the top with. Well, the handle was standing upright by my stocking Christmas morning with gooey epoxy dripping down it. So I got right to putting the head on...sealing the bottom, holding it up to a light to see if I sealed it adequately... pouring in the mixed epoxy...then dealing with the epoxy which seemed to continuously leak through somehow... After adding much duct tape, I set it outside to leave it's mess out there. The next day I added more epoxy which I purchased separately to fill the voids left by the leaking epoxy. It's not pretty, but I'm looking forward to trying it. Oh, another thing, I noticed that even though it claimed to be the same length as the wooden handles, it's not! Apparently they measured the full length of the handle, whereas the wooden ones are measured up to the blade!
attachment.php

Last edited:
I bought one and broke it in about 15 minutes.

notsosuper.jpg

Of course, I had to add some weight to it which made it a bit top heavy. It sunk in and then laid over, snapping the tip off. They need to add weight to it by making that wing the full height of the axe head.

SuperSplitter.jpg

Ian

Again, my point is made about their cast failures... Though, you would pay more for forged steel.

so my wife recently purchased a yellow plastic handle for my maul head

I've got that same epoxy on handle on my 6lb maul. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Never gets loose and absorbs some of the shock. If you got it on there securely, you'll like it. I didn't have any leaks and used a toothpick to work the bubbles out.

Ian

Last edited:
My Helko Tomahawk heavy splitting axe arrives on Friday..:clap: :clap:

Ian

I'll be waiting to hear your review on that thing Ian, I'm thinking about the Stihl/Ox Head splitting maul right now. I swing an old 8lb true temper maul now and I just gotta wonder if any of these new fangled corntraptions are actually worth it???

Let us know how you like it. :cheers:

It set me back $70 and for that price it dang well better be forged. LOL The head is 2.3Kg or just over 5lbs. Got it from Hartvilletools.com Have a gander here... http://www.world-of-axes.com/tomahawk_e.php

Ian

What made you chose the Tomahawk line and not the Vario 2000? When you get it, let me know what you think... 70 bucks is worth it for a quality maul. And I love the changeable head thing.

9_pbg

What made you chose the Tomahawk line and not the Vario 2000?

Fiberglass handle no breakie (famous last words) Bad part about this axe is that there's no going to lowes for a replacement handle off the cuff. They have a built in overstrike plate on the Vario, but I'd rather have the stronger handle. I might call and see if I can put an overstrike plate on the Tomahawk's handle for double protection and a little more weight too.

Ian

Last edited:
Back