Anybody try to build a super splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello i am from poland and i want to built something like supperspliter
I just had some infos and fotos from us patent site www .freepatentsonline.com/4116251 .pdf and net
I have some parts - gear rack 50x50mm lenght 1500 mm (maybe it will be shorter) , module 5
- 2 flywheels from old tractor - 160 lbs each x2 = 160 kg
- elektric engine 5.5kw/500volt / 1400 rpm/min
But i hanen't pinion gear and think 12 modes will be good ?

But really i nedd - are infos or fotos about trigger mechanism and automatic returm mechanism and gear rack spec data
If someone will help me i will be very happy , and grateful

My machine in theory will be heavy and powerfull to split wery knotty pine wood with any repeeds
BUT how russians says :- prakttika jebut teoriu ....... heheh . i thing someone will help me

I joined this forum about 15 minutes ago, just to read this thread. These inertia splitters look great to me. My question is how do you engage the rack into the pinion gear with it moving at several hundred rpms. Do you just push it in and let it grind until it engages. That homebuilt one looks great!

When you engage the mechanism there is no grinding. Flywheel speed (pinion) is apx 300 rpm and meshes properly with the rack every time.

727sunset could you shot some fotos or make a short movie -how gear rack engage in your ori superspliter

also im imteresting about a size of gear rack and size of pinion - coul you measure it ???

Completed machine

Has anyone besides Claude Cmccui8146 built an inertia style wood splitter?

Django built one several years ago.

Are there any SS owners in good 'ole North-Carolina? I would like to see one in person.

Tom

Last edited:
Super Split website

dodek ~ to see a a video of the rack operation and engagement mechanism surf here starting at about 1 min, 20:
http://www.supersplit.com/video1.htm

The manufacturer also has provided many on the units' s details on their website, check it out.

Offhand I'd guess the pinion to be about 2" dia.

Wasn't there an Amish gent in Ohio who built one and rents it out, and does he not sell plans??

i've been watching this vid - there is nothing interesting me. I need someone who make a pic of your own spliter ,,, not only say's see in super split website....
manufacturer also has provided many on the units' s details on their website, check it out.
in this site there in nothing spec data interesting me .I need some real movie or pic not from advertises

I heard about this amish fellow -either from admin of that forum- he send me some infos - but there is less contakt with him. (amish)

Someone earlier in this thread asked about using 45 Lb olympic weights. Would that work or would they be to out of balance. Olympic plates are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Olympic plates have a 2 and 1/32 inch hole, standard weights have a 1 inch hole. Olympic weights are also available in 100 Lb sizes. Standards can be found in 50 Lb sizes. I guess the standard weight plates would be easier to integrate with the pinion and the pillow blocks because of the 1 inch size of the steel rod that would fit in them. I don't know if a 1 inch rod would be strong enough or not. I searched around on the internet for weighted flywheels but didn't have a lot of luck. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Flywheel splitter

Cmccl8146 Hello May I ask where did you purchase or get your Flywheel and Clutch for your small engine?Do you think Olympic or standard weights will work.Maybe 75# weight.

MaxB52, I made my own flywheels, machined from 2inch thick steel plate. The blanks weighed 148 lbs each, so I relieved each side to get them down to 100 lbs each. Then made the welded in hubs which weigh 2 lbs each for a 102 lb per wheel total. I bought my clutch from Paul at Super Split. My gears are not the same pitch & diameter as those used on the SS, so I went with the heavier flywheels in order to run lower RPM's & still have plenty of splitting power. I've split 23'' Sweet Gum, 16" Red Elm, 20" Red & White Oak & Maple with it.

As far as using the Olympic Barbell weights as flywheels, I don't know much about them other than they are cast iron & pretty expensive for the 100 lb size. You'd need to bore them out & weld in a keyed steel hub with set screws to attach them to the pinion shaft. Also I'm not so sure how flat the face of the barbell plates are, and you'll need the flat faces for the belts to track true.

One thing I did change on my splitter is that I put one of the Harbor Freight 6 1/2 hp engines on it in December. The 3 hp I had was plenty powerful, but only had a quart gas tank & no fuel shut-off. Hope this info helps.

Flywheel Splitter

Hello Cmccul8146
Thank you for the information. I will keep looking around for the parts. Thanks again, have a great Day.

My biggest question is how the rack and pinion engage and disengage?

The rack is over the top of the pinion and it rests on a spring that is attached to rollers. This allows the rack to move forward and backwards without touching the pinion. There is a second set of rollers on top of the rack, that set is on a cam mechanism. Engaging the lever pushes down on the rollers, pushing the rack down onto the pinion. When the rack reaches the end of it's stroke there is a stop that bumps the rollers to flip the cam up and release the rack from the pinion. The return spring pulls the rack back, and the lower rollers resting on the spring keep the rack above the pinion so that it can return.

Clear as mud huh?

MaxB52, I made my own flywheels, machined from 2inch thick steel plate. The blanks weighed 148 lbs each, so I relieved each side to get them down to 100 lbs each. Then made the welded in hubs which weigh 2 lbs each for a 102 lb per wheel total. I bought my clutch from Paul at Super Split. My gears are not the same pitch & diameter as those used on the SS, so I went with the heavier flywheels in order to run lower RPM's & still have plenty of splitting power. I've split 23'' Sweet Gum, 16" Red Elm, 20" Red & White Oak & Maple with it.

As far as using the Olympic Barbell weights as flywheels, I don't know much about them other than they are cast iron & pretty expensive for the 100 lb size. You'd need to bore them out & weld in a keyed steel hub with set screws to attach them to the pinion shaft. Also I'm not so sure how flat the face of the barbell plates are, and you'll need the flat faces for the belts to track true.

One thing I did change on my splitter is that I put one of the Harbor Freight 6 1/2 hp engines on it in December. The 3 hp I had was plenty powerful, but only had a quart gas tank & no fuel shut-off. Hope this info helps.

Nice that he'd sell you just a clutch. Did he know what you were doing? :)

Why did you removed that much mass from the flywheel other than to match the specs of a Super Split?

TFPace, The reason I machined so much weight off my flywheels is that I am the one who has to handle them during assembly, etc. & don't care to be lugging around 150 lb . pieces of steel. Before I started my build I did quite a bit of calculating as to the weight I needed with the gears that I am using ,running the lower RPM , and still have plenty of splitting force. If my lathe had a bigger swing, I'd have gone with a 20 inch diameter blank, which would have weighed 178 lbs, but still would have machined them to 100 lbs. Releiving the sides puts the majority of the weight toward the outer diameter & makes it easier to get them spinning, and is where the power is developed anyway. The SS uses 72 lb flywheels on thesmaller unit, & if I remember correctly their heavy duty model uses 90 lb wheels, but are running at 300 RPM, whereas I'm running around 160 RPM.

Yes, Paul knew I was building a copy of the SS when he sold me the clutch. I met him over 4 years ago at a forest products demo, & he is a great guy.

Flywheel

Hello
Does anybody know where I can buy a flywheel like the one they use on Super Split / Wood Wolf / or Gripo wood splitter? Or what I could use for the Flywheel.

Ram/or Rack Gear

How does the Ram/Rack pivot? I do not see any bolt at the head of the Ram/Rack to pivot on, in any of the pictures.Looks like the head/pusher Block on Rack Gear is bolted to a metal block. Then that is bolted to a plate that slide along the top of the I Beam.There are metal strips that is bolted to the plate.They slide along the side edge of the I Beam. I do not know if there is a metal plate or strip under those metal strips that slide along the edge of the I Beam.

There is a good picture of the cam device that is used to engage the rack and pinion when the handle is pushed down on the wood wolf website in the gallery section.

The rack is over the top of the pinion and it rests on a spring that is attached to rollers. This allows the rack to move forward and backwards without touching the pinion. There is a second set of rollers on top of the rack, that set is on a cam mechanism. Engaging the lever pushes down on the rollers, pushing the rack down onto the pinion. When the rack reaches the end of it's stroke there is a stop that bumps the rollers to flip the cam up and release the rack from the pinion. The return spring pulls the rack back, and the lower rollers resting on the spring keep the rack above the pinion so that it can return.

Clear as mud huh?

CountryBoy19,

Your explanation is the best yet :msp_smile:

What type of spring is used? I looked at the Wood Wolf web site and if there's a spring shown is his photos I'm missing it.

On an aside, the production of the WoodWolf is sold out and you'll have to wait until the summer of 2011 to get your machine. I'm in the wrong business :msp_blink:

Latest posts

Back