Anybody use skid loader to move a trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need to find an inexpensive way to move a trailer load of wood around my property, a few hundred yards at a time. Have a skid loader. What do you think about a clamp-on receiver for the bucket? Back the loader while pulling the trailer or push the trailer while driving the loader forward? I used to move mobile homes with a crawler loader figure it would work for a load of wood also.
Thoughts? :dunno:

If you don't mind an extra hole in the bucket you can drill a hole in the middle of the bucket and buy a receiver ball to bolt on it. Then it's easy to put on and take off.

I use a trailer ball on my skid steer 's bucket and square stock on my kubota for a receiver hitch to move my 6 ton trailer around the yard

If I've got something on the tractors three point and need to move a trailer I drilled a hole in the bucket and made a small narrow clevis device that has flat stock welded on the end with a 2" ball welded too it, You just slide the clevis part over the bucket and put a pin thru it with a clip pin and I use it move trailers, it simple and very easy to use. Just have to go in reverse to make it easy.

I have a couple of hooks welded to the top of my bucket and I just hook the safety chains to them. I've always intended to put a ball in the bucket but the safety chains work ok

Best way to do it with zero mod to the bucket is to take plate about 3/8 works well weld 3 stacked with the middle one short. Drill and mount ball. This leaves a slot to go over the bucket. Drill a hole weld a tap to the top and put a bolt through to secure it to the bucket. Sorry I don't have a pic. Works well and quick to make. Weld a T handle to make it easier to remove.

You need a bolt on hitch reciever like this...... about $20 - $25. Bolt it onto the top of your bucket.

Winch003.jpg

I use this set-up. Something I made a few years ago, mostly stuff I had laying around. Though its on my Kubota, it fits anything with a universal skidsteer quick attach.

3199.jpg

3190.jpg

I bought a hitch plate (made by Erskine) and put one of those 3-way ball hitches in it...similar to what Ductape has on his FEL...works smashingly well! lock the boom up and you can use it to skin deer.

Merry Christmas!!

You need a bolt on hitch reciever like this...... about $20 - $25. Bolt it onto the top of your bucket.

Winch003.jpg

I use this set-up. Something I made a few years ago, mostly stuff I had laying around. Though its on my Kubota, it fits anything with a universal skidsteer quick attach.

3199.jpg

3190.jpg

I've seen a number of these but you have a nice variation on the usual receiver on a plate. What do you use the hooks for? Enquiring minds.

For picking up anything wide. I've used them with a couple nylon lifting slings to move a few granite slabs that will eventually be my porch steps. I used standard 2" hitch tubes so I can swap out the hooks for something else if need be.

I have 5 trailers that we user regularly, so it is very convenient to move them with the Bobcat. Since my splitter and scraper box use a 3 pt hitch plate, I just attach it because it has a reliever mounted to it. No holes, bolts or wrenches, just a quick tach. With a little practice and a spotter it is amazing where you can back a 26' open trailer. Enclosed trailers are much tougher.

My skid steer has a receiver on the back, but is much easier to attach a ball to your bucket or forks. This way you don't have to leave the cab
to move trailers around the yard. Also works well for moving processor and conveyor.

I bought one of these from this guy SKIDSTEER TRAILER RECEIVER HITCH BOBCAT CASE SKID STEER | eBay seems to be built decent and price is right. Had a bolt on ball that was a pia and bent up my splitter tongue a couple too many times since I have to go up and down hills. Moved my 26ft. camper with this thing, pretty nerveracking not being able to see anything since you're so close but for smaller stuff it's easy.

Back