Anyone able to convince me to buy a Woodmizer LT10?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I somewhat argee, so for parts they should be more than willing to deal with the new owner of the mill, so long as the ownership has been transfered (just a pre-cautionary act on there part to try and save another Morewood incident). I bought my Norwood ML26 new and a Norwood sharpener used, had one hell of a time trying to get a manual for my sharpener, Norwood finally co-operated and sent me a partial manual from the LM24 owners manual, when I asked "when people buy a brandnew sharpener from you do they not get a manual with it???...........well they couldn't find one on the computer...................kind of pisses me off when i read the manual and it says to refer to the section I don't have!
Regardless it is a good product, Woodmizer here in Canada is good to an extent but its really bad when I can buy Woodmizer blades from a re-seller cheaper than I can from woodmizer and no shipping!
hamish,

I have a similar but different experience. I bought a used LumberMate 2000, but it doesn't have the original bed, it has a custom 30' bed with it. I don't care for the dog system the previous owner had put on it, so I inquired to buy the new style clamps on the ML34. The response is that they will not sell those until they sell more new mills, but at this time they will not sell them. WTF??? A part is a part, right?

Woodmizer, OTOH, would sell their clamps to me even though I don't own one of their mills.

In a similar vein, a friend of mine bought two used Cooks sharpeners, and called to get the cams from them for the Woodmizer blades. Tim Cook got on the phone and told him he wouldn't sell them to him as he bought them used. While I have a couple dozen Cooks Super Sharps I use on my Norwood, I will be buying other blades when the time arises.

I hope all of these short sighted dealers go under in the current economy. This is not a good way to treat customers, period.

hamish,

I have a similar but different experience. I bought a used LumberMate 2000, but it doesn't have the original bed, it has a custom 30' bed with it. I don't care for the dog system the previous owner had put on it, so I inquired to buy the new style clamps on the ML34. The response is that they will not sell those until they sell more new mills, but at this time they will not sell them. WTF??? A part is a part, right?

Woodmizer, OTOH, would sell their clamps to me even though I don't own one of their mills.

In a similar vein, a friend of mine bought two used Cooks sharpeners, and called to get the cams from them for the Woodmizer blades. Tim Cook got on the phone and told him he wouldn't sell them to him as he bought them used. While I have a couple dozen Cooks Super Sharps I use on my Norwood, I will be buying other blades when the time arises.

I hope all of these short sighted dealers go under in the current economy. This is not a good way to treat customers, period.

As for Norwood the ML34 and ML26's are virgin mills, not too many out in the real world yet, I'm in the lower 300's as for serial number........are there things to be resolved or changed, surely there are, am I gonna whine about all the likes and dislikes, no, I just adapted things so they suit me. The cam lock dogs for the ML34 are not designed to work on the LM2000 is there saying, BS I have seen and used them on a MK3, all one has to do is make a few changes to the mount, and poof it works. Some companies have forgotten there is a difference between sales people and order takers, and to be effective today both are required.
A company saying I don't know if it will work, your gonna get charged regular price for it, then contacts me later to find out if it worked......................works for me, not the one that wont sell me a shiney thing-a-me-bob because I want one.

And YES i want an LT10 but with a Honda powerplant (not trying to sidetrack this thread).

Jeremy

The cam lock dogs for the ML34 are not designed to work on the LM2000 is there saying, BS I have seen and used them on a MK3, all one has to do is make a few changes to the mount, and poof it works.
Jeremy,

The thing is my bed is more similar to the MX-34, in that it has a square cross member instead of a round tube for the dog to slide on, so the newer cam would work better on mine.

Of course Norwood told me that since I don't have the original bed, they can't support me either...WTF????

Low sales is what a company like that deserves, I hate to say...

Jeremy,

The thing is my bed is more similar to the MX-34, in that it has a square cross member instead of a round tube for the dog to slide on, so the newer cam would work better on mine.

Of course Norwood told me that since I don't have the original bed, they can't support me either...WTF????

Low sales is what a company like that deserves, I hate to say...
Glad to read that about Norwood.
Surprised SawyerRob hasn't jumped in in defense. From my readings Norwood usually is supporive.

Glad to read that about Norwood.
Surprised SawyerRob hasn't jumped in in defense. From my readings Norwood usually is supporive.
There is nothing wrong with the product, IMO, and they make a good mill. I am certainly happy with mine that I bought used.

The support issue is separate in itself, and could be isolated, but it is my experience and I provide honest feedback in that regard.

Long Post

There is nothing wrong with the product, IMO, and they make a good mill. I am certainly happy with mine that I bought used.

The support issue is separate in itself, and could be isolated, but it is my experience and I provide honest feedback in that regard.

They do make a very good product, and like most things it depends upon who you talk to at the company. Before buying my mill I had the chance to check both products out at my local farm show, Woodmiser was outside and was the first place I passed. Was there for bout 20 minutes, looking and figureing out how things worked, all the while an individual in a woodmiser shirt and hat telling me the show deosn't start for another 3 hours. Get inside the building, about the 7 booth I come to...woodmiser, a simple 3 panel display and a few handouts, and two sales people. Get asked if I am interested in milling lumber (my husky hat and sawchips must have been an easy sign)I says yes I am here today to decide on an LT10-15 or a Norwood ML26, and the conversation ended there, even though Woodmiser has a LT15 set up outside with logs ready to go. Even had enough cash in my pocket to buy either 3 I was thinking about. Left a bad taste in my mouth Finally found the Norwood display inside (thankfully there were some good looking women around on the walk as it took some time to find) and I landed upon the ML26. Two representatives, not sales people, actual mill owners, neither technically inclined for the stuff I was going to ask (but hey we all have different backgrounds), I asked a question about band tension adjustment and how often they needed to be made the one man said he has never had to adjust it! Thankfully the other guy overheard my question and said at least everytime I change a band. I spent about an hour looking over and touching everyinch if the ml26 and mx34, took pictures for memory of the attributes of both models and how they could be intertwined.
Neither company was too involved or informative about there product, just kinda there with "this is it if ya want it call this number type of attitude, I dont want a snake oil salesman but when somebody offers to buy the mill right there on the spot...............you might have an interested consumer.

On a side note................I almost bought a grain elevator.......dont do grain, or have a silo, or anything to power it, but she was the most beautiful redhead I have ever seen in my life!

Any mill owner be it Norwood, Woodmiser, Hudson, or Homemade (sorry not alot of them you can get easily up here), have been the nicest, truest people out there, regardless of brand, and are more than willing to help one out with the issues they encounter.

At my saw shop a simple conversation about a 365 husky and the customer mentioned he had a mill, I was planning to buy a mill, word got out I have 4 new local milling friends and about 20 new customers. We have all made eachother more productive, efficent and informed, not via the internet but by face to face/mill to mill interaction, there is a wealth of knowledge around every corner.

to close out

Well just to wrap up -
Went down to Mississippi and bought the house and 3.5 acres, started the process to buy another 73 acres around it. This had about 25 acres of 15 yr old pine that needs thinning. I started thinking LT 15 or LT 28
Yesterday I bought the Woodmizer LT10, 10hp w/ 1 extension and 15 blades, plan to take delivery in November in Mississippi.
Today I found out the 73 acres is encumbered by a timber company with rights to clear cut the remaining 25 acres by December 2012.
Oh well, that just leaves me my other 380 acres to piddle around on.

Today I found out the 73 acres is encumbered by a timber company with rights to clear cut the remaining 25 acres by December 2012.
OUCH...did you buy it even with that condition?
That's a LOT of acres, hope it's got some decent weather...I hear MS is pretty darn humid...:msp_rolleyes:

Congrats on your new purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get it. Wood is wood, humid or not...

OUCH...did you buy it even with that condition?

That's a LOT of acres, hope it's got some decent weather...I hear MS is pretty darn humid...:msp_rolleyes:

Congrats on your new purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get it. Wood is wood, humid or not...
Yea, we plan on buying it, it "surrounds" the house lot, there's plenty of deer on it. And it has 1200 ft of paved road frontage on the south end and 1200 ft of national forest frontage on the north end. Then there's another 140 acres adjacent to it, which could put me at the 640 acres I set as a goal :)

Just to correct my mistake, my wife, the real estate attorney, had given me the 380 acre figure. Actually it's only 280 acres, so now I've got much further to go to my square mile. She had "mis-added" and I had thought she had put in the 1/3 of some family land.

Last edited:
Just to correct my mistake, my wife, the real estate attorney, had given me the 380 acre figure. Actually it's only 280 acres, so now I've got much further to go to my square mile. She had "mis-added" and I had thought she had put in the 1/3 of some family land.

But STILL........280 acres! That's what I call land Baron! I'm praying for a 40:bowdown:

But STILL........280 acres! That's what I call land Baron! I'm praying for a 40:bowdown:

That's in Mississippi, and not counting about 1/3 of 200 acres of "family land".

Just keep your head in the skies, your nose to the grindstone and save every penny until the right bargain pops up.

I bought my first 73 acres in Vermont right after I got out of the Army (enlisted E4) in 1978 with what we had saved from unused leave. I became addicted. Most of the guys and gals I knew would buy trucks and cars when they got out, and we all know how they go up in value.

And it's not for me, it's for my children.

That's in Mississippi, and not counting about 1/3 of 200 acres of "family land".

Just keep your head in the skies, your nose to the grindstone and save every penny until the right bargain pops up.

I bought my first 73 acres in Vermont right after I got out of the Army (enlisted E4) in 1978 with what we had saved from unused leave. I became addicted. Most of the guys and gals I knew would buy trucks and cars when they got out, and we all know how they go up in value.

And it's not for me, it's for my children.
Well, real estate isn't exactly booming at the moment...few folks building.

Curious though gemnii, but how does a guy that has so much acreage end up being so cheap on the sawmill? :bang: I don't get it...:laugh:

The LT-10 is probably a darned good machine BUT I don't think bed extensions are available for it and sooner or later you're going to want to mill something longer than 11'. I've had my LT-15 for about a year and have already been asked by 3 potential customers, one once needed for myself, to mill 16' boards.

All I need is to buy a bed extension. You'd need to buy a whole new system!
I think twoclones was suggesting similar, and I think you should consider it, gemnii...:rolleyes2:

Well, real estate isn't exactly booming at the moment...few folks building.

Curious though gemnii, but how does a guy that has so much acreage end up being so cheap on the sawmill? :bang: I don't get it...:laugh:

I think twoclones was suggesting similar, and I think you should consider it, gemnii...:rolleyes2:

I do not know how it works in the US or in individual states but acreage here per say, the value is solely dependant upon location, and regardless the prices both north and south are over-inflated.
Somewhat the same as Gemniii but in reverse, I bought 50 acres when I was 18 ( a year after joining the army, I joined the year prior at 17, circa 1992 when I bought the land). Only 50 acres, but prime hunting ground and just a nice lot. Cost me alot at that time, hell and alot in todays money, Whats is worth near nothing to anybody thats willing to buy it 20 years later, but as the cities move westward.........hopefully my son will have a retirement nest egg because of it.

Near where I grew up, a small town kept getting bigger, a local farmer that paid crap wages, had junk and was just hell to work for (not to mention the lunches were pitiful) sold half his farm 4 years ago, he became an instant millionaire, ruined the man, all in the name of supposid (sp??) progess.

Nothing wrong with an LT10, be it for good or as a stepping stone, if anybody wants to part there LT10 beside my ML26 and try em both out, lets have at er, the end of the day will tell all, sawdust is in our veins.

I do not know how it works in the US or in individual states but acreage here per say, the value is solely dependant upon location, and regardless the prices both north and south are over-inflated.
Yep, works pretty much the same here in the lower 48...and certainly Mississippi is nothing like buying property in California, but there is some acreage when you get into the boonies and that is not as usable that is more reasonably priced in CA. I guess I just got a bit of humor how gemnii was dropping acreage numbers around like buzzwords, when at the same time interested in the bottom of the line sawmill that WoodMizer offers. Of course he mentioned some of it has been strip milled and it sounded like there is still a good amount that can be strip milled by a company, it is still a decent amount of acreage. I suspect all that glitters is not gold...:tongue2:
Somewhat the same as Gemniii but in reverse, I bought 50 acres when I was 18 ( a year after joining the army, I joined the year prior at 17, circa 1992 when I bought the land). Only 50 acres, but prime hunting ground and just a nice lot. Cost me alot at that time, hell and alot in todays money, Whats is worth near nothing to anybody thats willing to buy it 20 years later, but as the cities move westward.........hopefully my son will have a retirement nest egg because of it.
I wasn't so wise to buy acreage, but was wise enough to buy my first house when I was about 23 years old...owned that for about 15 years, sold it at a low, and it seemed I didn't make out very well as I invested as much as profit I made on it after remodeling the backyard/pool. I took that money and bought a house in Silicon Valley, and luckily it has tripled in price over the past 15 years, where we have some of the most expensive property in the U.S. and it it still holding it's own. Life is a roller coaster, nobody wins without taking a risk...I remember buying my second house, more than twice what I paid for my first, I was scared...still am in some ways, but it's made me quite a bit of equity by going in debt.

About 5 years laterI bought a piece of lake property just shy of 2 acres that I plan to put my log home on. I own the property outright, and the logs and equipment are paid for. I have planned and continue to work at building this with as little debt as I can.
Nothing wrong with an LT10, be it for good or as a stepping stone, if anybody wants to part there LT10 beside my ML26 and try em both out, lets have at er, the end of the day will tell all, sawdust is in our veins.
It's not that it's a bad mill, but it's the bottom of the line WoodMizer. With a lot of acreage I think it makes more sense to get a larger mill, with a more powerful engine. I have a 23HP engine on my Norwood, and I know there have already been times when I wish I had more power. The savings in time alone could be a huge advantage if your milling a lot of timber. Milling on some of the smaller mills can be painful, if you plan to do it a lot, stuff like auto-feed would be nice, and hydraulics is way nicer than wasting your back. But a tractor can do, certainly, it's just more difficult. I drool at those setup with the hydraulics that can turn the logs...that is some slick stuff...;-)

For what gemnii has said, I would think a WoodMizer LT28 should be a consideration for him, or some other stable type portable. The LT10 could be moved in a pickup, as the LT15 could as well. The LT15 has a larger motor option as I recall. The time spent milling can be cut way down with a larger engine, IMO. LT28 is a better towing unit, and LT40 adds hydraulics. There are other options also, don't limit yourself to only WoodMizer.

All that said, I always encourage folks to follow B.Allan Mackie, that is to go the owner-built route and not put yourself in debt, and there are various ways to do it. I am trying to build a 2nd place debt free. I wish I had of done it for my first. However, a sawmill is so valuable in doing this, it pays to invest more in it as you can cut timbers, dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, 2x8), flooring, decking, siding, interior even with simple board/batten. Don't cheap out on this tool, it can pay for itself over and over...

Last edited:
Yep, works pretty much the same here in the lower 48...and certainly Mississippi is nothing like buying property in California, but there is some acreage when you get into the boonies and that is not as usable that is more reasonably priced in CA. I guess I just got a bit of humor how gemnii was dropping acreage numbers around like buzzwords, when at the same time interested in the bottom of the line sawmill that WoodMizer offers.
<snip>

It's not that it's a bad mill, but it's the bottom of the line WoodMizer. With a lot of acreage I think it makes more sense to get a larger mill, with a more powerful engine.<snip>

My MAIN purpose all along has been to retire and own a square mile that paid for itself. The primary reason I got into CSM and BSM is that I want to maintain deer plots, watering ponds and firing lanes. Which requires cutting of trees. Also, because of environmental concerns a lot of "clear cut timberland" leaves stands bordering streams. I could have planned to do what so many others in the area do, just cut the trees down to make food plots and lanes and let the trees rot.

I also want to limit access to ATV's at the widest. I've got one parcel where the 4WD crowd gets in, parties and makes the deepest ruts in the roads, which then makes them impassable to my tractor.
Thus my plan all along was a small prime mover (started wanting a skid-steer, got convinced to get a TLB) a small milling capability, and trucking it all down to where the wood was and cutting the lumber on site to build strucures on site. All the while maintaining trails a truck could not go down.

My plans (and I expect flames if I'm completely off) are:
Go in and cut the trees for trails, ponds and food plots
Carry the LT10 on the back of my tractor on a pallet, set up, cut the lumber
Build some nice deer stands, dry off sheds, etc.
Carry any excess lumber out.
All without making a larger trail than my Kubota B7610 (about 5' wide)

For my purposes I could not see the sense in attempting to drag (or yard) trees (almost all <24" DBH) up to half a mile to load them on a trailer to take them to a lumberyard.

And an extension is a great idea:
Well just to wrap up -
<snip>
Yesterday I bought the Woodmizer LT10, 10hp w/ 1 extension and 15 blades,<snip>

That's why I bought one.

Most of my compatriots in the retirement crowd are puttering around the house or the golf course. I proved to myself in the last two years I can still climb and cut trees.

For my purposes I could not see the sense in attempting to drag (or yard) trees (almost all <24" DBH) up to half a mile to load them on a trailer to take them to a lumberyard.
Wait until you tear down and setup that sawmill a few times, you might be giving a second thought to skidding the logs out and having the sawmill all setup to do the work. That is not like a portable mill in the sense that when you move it you will still need to setup and calibrate most likely. Maybe setting it up on a trailer will work. You'll need to be patient with that 10HP engine, for certain, if you have 24" DBH logs. Best of luck to 'ya!

Why would you drag a log?? That's why they invented log arches! You have a 7610 that should be just fine ahead of a good arch, and i'd MUCH prefer to use an arch than keep setting up any mill.

If you do much milling at all, you are going to wish you spend a LITTLE more and got a much BETTER mill for bigger logs.

Rob

Back