Help me add to my toolbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstrayhorn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here.

I am currently a student of Biology hoping to pursue further education and eventually a career in natural resource management or forestry. I cut wood in my free time, primarily dead/dying standing timber, downed trees, and controlling invasive species. As such, I frequently skid sections of trees to buck them, move and stack logs that are to be milled, and I like to employ safety nets when felling. For these uses, my current toolbox includes several 3/8" choker slings, a hand winch, snatch block, wedges, various shackles, and a 20 ton bottle jack should I ever be that desperate. I am looking for features to add to this kit. However, cost and versatility are the two major factors as I have plenty of other needs for this equipment. I am primarily looking for something I can use to tension trees while cutting to aid in felling and to protect against sudden wind shifts, etc., but also to help fall slight leaners. I don't like ropes due to price, durability, and lack of durability, so I'm looking at wire rope and recovery straps, more specifically, these options:
A) 3/8" x 65' winch cable (12k lb) from Harbor Freight ($28, but I would also have to have an eye put in). For general pulling, skidding, etc. and would also work with my snatch block.
B) 2x 1/4" x 50' wire rope from Harbor Freight ($31 for two, but I would need a total of 4 eyes put in). Obviously decreased capacity, but would be for fixing high in trees to counter lean and influence direction. Less versatile, but would work with my snatch block.
C) 3.5" x 30' recovery strap (35k lb) @ $37. Shorter length and can't use directly with snatch block, but strong and versatile.

So these are all generally in my price range. I know that elasticity is a factor with a recovery strap, but I can't decide if that is negative or positive for my intended uses.
I can't decide between these three, but I am open to combining these options in the future. So, considering my options and uses, which do y'all think is most appropriate? Also, which should I add second (C first then B, two Cs, etc.)? I must say I am leaning right now towards the recovery strap due to its capacity, lack of versatility in B), and cost of modifying A) before it can be used, but good logic is very persuasive.

Finally, I know this is an overstated topic, but I haven't been able to find anything concerning my parameters profound enough to definitively sway my decision.
I look forward to and appreciate any of your input.

Its always easier to let gravity do most of the work. As for skidding logs, most of the traditional equipment of chain and wire is always a good bet and can be found at any farm store.
Adding some hand tools will also help you a lot when working in the bush. A good Peavy, Pickeroon and felling wedges and mini sledge hammer along with good PPV safety wear (helmet with hearing protection & face shield and good gloves and cut-proof pants or chaps). Safety boots are a must too.
I always have a couple "Work Ahead" signs for working roadside as well.

Have broken 3/8" wire rope, would not even consider 1/4".

Look up 'molly hogan' or 'Flemish eye splice' to make your eyes.

A used 1/2" wire rope with no broken strands would be a better deal than HF 3/8", do a net search for an education on cable inspection tips before buying used. And pointers on cable use safety!
The 3/8" cable I broke was routed thru a bunch of vine maples (dozer had steel back plate) when cable broke - or I'd not have tried using the 3/8-, and the 'whip' cut off about 10 ea 2" dia vine maples.

If you are mechanically adept, search craigslist for a used PU truck with a winch. I have an '84 S-10 I got for $250 and a 10 ton elec winch for $100 off CL. Needed about $150 in parts and 20 hrs of own labor to get truck and winch running.
Also found an old JD 440 dozer for $1700, but that took a a few months of weekends to get running well (final drive clutches were frozen) .

Give yourself a few years and you will have an dump truck and equipment trailer also <G>

Thanks, guys.
I ended up getting a HF gift card before I had any replies so I ended up getting the cable there. I feel I should mention I only use equipment well below its WLL. Also, lesser quality equipment like that from HF only gets used as a last resort. I keep a chart with approximate weight per diameter for 8' logs of species I encounter so I can ensure I'm not risking anything.

Marine:
I didn't even mention my hand tools, but I keep a few wedges and a mini sledge in a pouch at my side, a 16lb sledge, a heavy sawhorse for bucking, and a Logrite cant hook with the jack attachment.

Art:
I only even considered 1/4" for pulling from the tops of trees as a longer lever uses less force over greater distance.
Evidently I failed to mention I have a GMC 6500 flatbed dump truck, Case 580 Super K backhoe, a second backhoe, and a Case 850 dozer.
I haven't been able to find any used cable around me, but I guess I need to expand my search. Also, I hadn't considered a used/repairable winch, so I'll look into that as well.
Thanks

I would suggest a throw ball/ throwline, 3 strand 1/2" rope and a masdaam puller. Use the throwball/line to get your pulling line high in the tree. The higher in the tree, the less pull required. I don't know what ropes you've been using, but we get several years out of a light rigging and pulling rope.

Question concerning Flemish eye: I intend to use the Flemish eye where I need eyes in my wire rope, but should I use fist grip clips or swaged sleeves? I ask because the pre-rigged slings I have came with sleeved eyes, but I have read that clips preserve more of the rope's strength. I don't have a swaging tool, but I was going to ask some local tow companies where they have their equipment repaired to have it done there. Also, any recommended vendors for these parts?

I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I recently searched again and found new 50' lengths of 5/8" stainless selling for $25, so I hope I can find something like that near me.

BC:
Concerning ropes, I've got a lot of different types and sizes to speak of, but nothing of any size or quality to speak of. I use ropes for all different practices such as fastening cargo, etc., so I don't like using those on trees due to safety as their integrity is likely compromised. I do have a bit of 3/8" light rope (300lb working) reserved for trees if I need it though. I almost exclusively use ropes for guiding when limbing near structures. I have looked at the quality ropes and maasdam pullers like you mentioned, but I decided against them due to price and they would be limited to tree use. Admittedly, I need a throw line, but for now I just make do with what I have around.

Back