Anyone able to identify this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

026 fanatic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a red colored boat anchor several months back. No markings anywhere. No sprocket cover, but a strange but innovative chain tensioner device. Machine is distinctly hideous, but it has kicked around the Chattanooga, TN area for the last 40 years, and we cannot figure it out. I will post pictures. I found one patent number on it, and that was assigned to William D. Beard, of PA, owner of the C B Tool company. Anyone have any ideas?

Picked up a red colored boat anchor several months back. No markings anywhere. No sprocket cover, but a strange but innovative chain tensioner device. Machine is distinctly hideous, but it has kicked around the Chattanooga, TN area for the last 40 years, and we cannot figure it out. I will post pictures. I found one patent number on it, and that was assigned to William D. Beard, of PA, owner of the C B Tool company. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure it isn't just a boat anchor? The "innovative chain tensioning device" is just the gravity of it pulling the chain as it sinks. And it doesn't have a sprocket cover because boat anchors dont have sprockets.

But seriously how can we identify it with out pictures?

You sure the spelling isn't Beaird as in BEAIRD POULON?

That would make it a Poulan and the brand was sold in many colors and labels... like Dayton red. Model number and a pic would help.

Not good rep for a junior member to post up with no pics and leave everyone hanging. Sure this isn't spam?

Are you living in chattanooga? I live in Soddy Daisy.

026, Bill Beard designed "lancaster saws" for the Lancaster pump co. Lancaster, PA.
from the 60's till the 80's I believe.

He died about 15 yrs ago & his son Tom still works @ Lancaster pump.

I talked to Tom a month ago & surprised him with my interest.

Lancaster pump has nothing to do with chainsaws now.

I've got one of them as my avatar (model 40IL - 77cc) and more pics in my album.

They used tecumseh/power products & west bend motors from 70cc to 125cc, depending on model.

I've had several e-mails with Alain LaMothe (canada)(link above in "bcorradi" post)

They're real simple american made & I believe collectable - but I doubt "big bucks" unless you hit the right person.

luck,greg

You sure the spelling isn't Beaird as in BEAIRD POULON?

That would make it a Poulan and the brand was sold in many colors and labels... like Dayton red. Model number and a pic would help.

That struck me as well! :msp_wink:

That was my gut reaction, but the info in the link provided by bcorradi matches the info provided by the OP ;).

026, Bill Beard designed "lancaster saws" for the Lancaster pump co. Lancaster, PA.

I've got one of them as my avatar (model 40IL - 77cc) and more pics in my album.

They used tecumseh/power products & west bend motors from 70cc to 125cc, depending on model.

I've had several e-mails with Alain LaMothe (canada)(link above in "bcorradi" post)

They're real simple american made & I believe collectable - but I doubt "big bucks" unless you hit the right person.

luck,greg

It seems that Greg is familiar with Beard & Lancaster.

026 fanatic, could you post some photos? That would be very helpful, & you have a few folks anxious to see the saw in question.

recoil

Well I cleaned it up. recoil goes round but teeth do not grab took it off and see nothing really the matter with it.
Any ideas.

I got it running with the wrap the cord around and pull trick. this thing is a monster, grin from ear to ear when it fired.:msp_biggrin:
Dont think my neighbors enjoy it lol.
Going to see about that recoil next.its all there but not engaging.
7.5 hp is that a common engine size?

Look to see if the starter cup is worn. Very common.
The Starter shoes as they call them must throw out
all the way to grab the cup. If not you need to remove
them. Stretch the spring and passibly replace the two
fiber washers. Some time the shoes need replacing as well.
That engine was popular in some of the older saws back in
the early 60's. I believe there 106cc's. It's bigger brother
was the model 820 at 134cc's.

Lee

I used brake cleaner on it something I seen on another post put it all back together and now starts first pull.
Amazed someone would through it away in the trash.
The cup does seem a bit worn but For now its working.
That saw was really made well.
Thank you for your response
chris.

luck,greg

Lancasters are "nifty"! Pun intended! TeeHee! My husband just bought me a 1957 200A Nifty Lancaster. Just awaiting it's arrival! Since I'm left-handed, this will be an awesome saw for me to learn how to cut with!!! It's really neat-o to hear the history behind these saws. Most of my family either lives in Lancaster or close by! Also, looked at your pics, what model is your lancaster? -Michelle

Back